Passkey is failing to detect (& scan) DVD & Blu-Ray disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Passkey is failing to detect (& scan) DVD & Blu-Ray disks

This is blowing me away. Have used Passkey from it's beta days. And starting with the last 3 or 4 updates incl. 8.0.7.0. DVD's and BR disks are not being detected.

Both drives dvdv & blu-ray are detected absolutely. Also, if I exit Passkey it refuses to re-start. The only way to start is to do a full re-boot.

I just tried doing a serious uninstall using Ttl.Uninstall. For the first time ever I actually had to enter the registration data again. A pretty complete uninstall.

I ended up using DVDFabQT to rip the DVD but it's not the process I need to use.

Somethings amiss. But what?
    --
    LG UH10LS20 (DT-ST-BD-RE) (BR player/DVD writer)
    HP 1260D / 1260I-H06 (DVD writer)
    XFX 777x video
    GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB ddr3 1600
    AMD FX-8150 cpu
    2 - WD 1002FAEX 1TB
    Win 7 64bit
    --
    other software:
    Should mention Passkey worked before with all installed software.
    Updated Zone Alarm, but made sure Passkey is a go in all catagories, system software doesn't even have that much clout
    Last edited by HKB; 08-29-2012, 05:06 AM. Reason: attempt to streamline / pc parts

FIXED ! But how ????
    After writing the above, for absolutely no reason at all, I just installed 8.0.7.0 again over the clean install for the 2nd time. Rebooted, Passkey started but this time I didn't test it, I just exited Passkey (turned off)... 6 hours later curiousness got the better of me and I re-started Passkey, loaded a commercial DVD and it was detected and scanned! After 2 months! When the problem 1st started it detected Blu-Rays, the DVD's were detected but not being opened by Passkey. Then yesterday no disks detected. Now it works.
    - Installed 8.0.7.1 over 8.0.7.0 and things went without a hitch.

Steps I took:
    - Removed every trace of Passkey and did a Super clean install.
    - Rebooted (still failed)
    - Repeated install w/reboot. Tested and failed.
    - Repeated install w/reboot again. Did not test, un-checked run at startup. Then turned Passkey off.
    - 6 hours later started Passkey and it worked better then ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HKB View Post
      FIXED ! But how ????
      After writing the above, for absolutely no reason at all, I just installed 8.0.7.0 again over the clean install for the 2nd time. Rebooted, Passkey started but this time I didn't test it, I just exited Passkey (turned off)... 6 hours later curiousness got the better of me and I re-started Passkey, loaded a commercial DVD and it was detected and scanned! After 2 months! When the problem 1st started it detected Blu-Rays, the DVD's were detected but not being opened by Passkey. Then yesterday no disks detected. Now it works.
      - Installed 8.0.7.1 over 8.0.7.0 and things went without a hitch.

Steps I took:
      - Removed every trace of Passkey and did a Super clean install.
      - Rebooted (still failed)
      - Repeated install w/reboot. Tested and failed.
      - Repeated install w/reboot again. Did not test, un-checked run at startup. Then turned Passkey off.
      - 6 hours later started Passkey and it worked better then ever.
      andwhat software or hardware did you install or uninstall in between.
      Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
        andwhat software or hardware did you install or uninstall in between.
        Uninstalled DFX 10
        Uninstalled etinsofts 'E.M. Total Video Player' (stayed with VLC)
        Installed Sticky notes.

I use PowerDVD 12 for blu-ray/dvd's

These are items I manually disabled from boots-auto startup:
        - APS Daemon (Apple)
        - Easus Watch (Todo Backup)
        - PowerDVD12 Agent

Anything else was absolutely safe and not related to audio or video and were portable, no additional dll's, etc.. ie CrystalDiskInfo, Calibre, etc...

Those were disabled while trying to repair whatever was wrong with Passkey and/or the system & I wanted to disable them anyways.

Remember, before Passkey did not see the disks it was just not mounting them. When it stopped seeing the disks I got in fixit mode. My actual first thought was registry.

(As for stopping PDVD12, it has a service I'd like to disable also. I like it's player and enhancing options for DVD, but they can keep the rest.)
        Last edited by HKB; 08-29-2012, 11:43 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

The most common cause of this type problem is a filter driver from other software that blocks Passkey's access to the drive. This can be a leftover from an earlier installation. Some windows components that capture the drive when a disc is inserted can cause this as well. To check the filters, install ImgBurn (free) and from the menu, select Tools, then Filter Driver load order.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
          X