Rip to Hard Disk taking 80 hours??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip to Hard Disk taking 80 hours??

I'm a longtime DVDFab user but this is my first attempt at using Passkey. I have a DVD that is supposed to be used on "Play Only" devices and I want to rip it on a Windows 8 system.

I've installed Passkey, rebooted, had it read my DVD (though it took about 4 minutes) and then completed. Using the Rip to Hard Disk option, it looks to be majorly confused. My first clue was when it said that a drive with 32GB free wasn't big enough. So I selected a much larger one and it started the rip.

The Time Elapsed right now is 2:30:00 and the time left is 81:25:00. Looking at the target folder, I can see why. It is just in a loop of creating blocks of VOB files. Starting VTS_02, I am getting sets of:

VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.ifo
    VTS_02_0.vob
    VTS_02_1.vob (1GB in size but no length details)
    VTS_02_2.vob (1GB is size; length 00:23:07)
    VTS_02_3.vob (1GB is size; length 00:23:07)
    VTS_02_4.vob (1GB is size; length 00:23:07)
    VTS_02_5.vob (207MB is size; length 00:04:34)

Then it does the same thing with VTS03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and it's on 08). Any guesses? Thanks!

Kevin

This is a common type of protection on DVDs that Passkey is not removing correctly. Is your Passkey the registered version or Passkey Lite (which is free)? Have you tried opening the disc with DVDFab?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I downloaded the "featured" version of PassKey and using it as a trial until is expires next month. I tried DVDFab but it will chug along and then eventually fail. DVD Decrypter and Shrink don't work either.

I can post logs if you think it will help. I may see if I can find a DVD reader and try that (instead of the writer). It's a "burn on demand" movie from Amazon/Universal.

Thanks

Comment

DVDFab should have no problem with it, I have lots of Warner Archive BOD discs that I have backed up with Fab. Backups are very important for this type of content due to unknown longevity issues on the recordable media they use. Please attach Passkey and DVDFab internal log sessions related to this disc.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks....logs attached

I edited the dvdfab log file. It was too big and wouldn't upload. I removed everything except my last successful rip (which is the first entry) and then the rest of the entries pertain to the BOD disc. Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Works on Sony Blu-Ray player

Tested it out on a player and it works just fine. It was playing title 28 so I am going to try and rip just that portion of the movie.

Comment

Finally got it to work

Here's what finally worked:
              1. Play DVD on DVD/Blu-Ray player (no writer or PC device).
              2. During playback, note which title is playing.
              3. Use DVDFab to read disc (may take a while) and rip just the main movie using the title number. (Interesting tidbit in my case: title on Blu-Ray player was 28 but, even though I selected title 28 in DVDFab, the progress frame was saying title 17.)
              4. Have Handbrake convert the contents of the DVD folder as usual.

Comment

Working...
              X