Passkey resolving display issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passkey resolving display issues

I've been experiencing some problems with playback of Blu-ray discs in PowerDVD, and I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether my analysis of the problem seems reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any help. Please bear with me while I explain.

I'm running PowerDVD 14 Ultra on Windows 7 x64, with 8GB of RAM and an nVidia GT-740 graphics card with 2GB of DDR5 RAM onboard.

I've experienced consistent problems with a number of new Blu-ray purchases, where the sound stutters and the display streaks, stutters and pixellates. Because these discs were of the same region as my system, I didn't initially run them through Passkey.

But then I discovered that if I load Passkey first, the same discs play back with no issues. To me, this seems to mean that the issue is PowerDVD not coping with the latest copy protection routines; when they're removed from the data flow, the problem goes away.

Is that a reasonable conclusion?

PowerDVD 14 hasn't been updated since last October, so it seems logical that more recent protection routines have been introduced since then. Cyberlink hasn't confirmed that there are issues in the software, though they have said they're working on an update, so I suppose that's an answer of a kind.

For reference, some examples of discs that have this issue for me:
    Kingdom of Heaven, the new UK steelbook version.
    Buried, the new UK steelbook version.
    Interstellar, the UK digibook version.

But I'd like to be sure of the cause of the problem. Does anyone have other thoughts, please?
    A' Ghàidhlig: cleachd i no caill i!

Makes perfect sense to me.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I've experienced consistent problems with a number of new Blu-ray purchases, where the sound stutters and the display streaks, stutters and pixellates. Because these discs were of the same region as my system, I didn't initially run them through Passkey.

But then I discovered that if I load Passkey first, the same discs play back with no issues. To me, this seems to mean that the issue is PowerDVD not coping with the latest copy protection routines; when they're removed from the data flow, the problem goes away.
      Hi,

It's true. PowerDVD could not play the protected disc sometimes.

This is why we need Passkey.

Wilson
      Please post your logs the default location is:
      For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
      For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
      If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

we pay the original Bluray
        we pay PowerDVD software

and still we have issue...

this is illogical for me.. but it's true.

That's why I bought passkey.. bluray format is a hell and very difficult on PC scenario (i wonder if in the "home scenario" with standalone BD player the problems are the same..)

bye!

Comment

PowerDVD14 has been replaced with PowerDVD15 Ultra. Although I have had trouble with 15 on one or two discs (BD).
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
            Makes perfect sense to me.
            Thanks for the rely, 90312. ;-)

Convincing Cyberlink of it is a whole different matter, though.

It's annoying, because I don't want to pay the upgrade prices Cyberlink is asking for version 15, for what would at best be a bug-fix. (None of the new features matter to me, since I'm not interested in upgrading my media yet again to 4K or streaming video throughout my house.) But if the current version is already behind standard commercial technology, maybe I need to look elsewhere. Sadly, PowerDVD's major rival, TMT, has been dumped and is no longer being developed. Harrumph.

Yes, Wilson, hooray for DVDFab Passkey!!

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              PowerDVD14 has been replaced with PowerDVD15 Ultra. Although I have had trouble with 15 on one or two discs (BD).
              What kind of trouble, Signals?

Comment

Mac
                It crashed after refusing to play (empty window) a couple of new release discs on the day of release. Both played fine later. Note that this was running PDVD15 "barefoot", i.e. without Passkey.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks Signals. I've had similar things in my recent travails with version 14, where the CPU utilisation suddenly spins up to 100% and I can't shut PowerDVD down. When this happens, even mechanically ejecting the disc (via the button on the drive) takes 15 minutes or more to respond.

To be clear, it's absolutely not DVDFab's doing, and I've only raised it here on the Passkey forums because I thought other Passkey users might be in a position to have noticed similar behaviour on their systems -- and also, as I asked before, to check my reasoning.

But it's a worry if it's also happening in PowerDVD 15. And it's frustrating not being able to get past Cyberlink's never-ending checklist of it's-something-else's-fault before they'll be willing to consider the issue in their own software.

Ah well, thank goodness for Passkey. ;-)

Now, if only the BluPath database would get better at recognising non-mainstream non-US releases ...

Comment

What you describe is vary similar to what I saw one on at least one occasion. But it has not repeated since then, about a month ago. Don't remember which discs, I test quite a few.
                    Originally posted by Mac
                    Cyberlink's never-ending checklist of it's-something-else's-fault before they'll be willing to consider the issue in their own software.
                    LOL so true, I never bother to contact them.

They are working on improving the non-US disc version data, disc availability has always been a large part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      They are working on improving the non-US disc version data, disc availability has always been a large part of the problem.
                      Yes, I can understand that it would be. And thanks for the update on that.

Is there anything users can do to contribute, since we have the discs?

Comment

Not that we can discuss openly (for your privacy and safety), I will send you a PM.

Comment

Hi Signals,
                          Any chance that you might get round to sending that PM please? I'm still keen to know.

Many thanks,
                          Mac

Comment

Hi Mac. Sorry for the delay.

Comment

Working...
                            X