X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passkey problems on Opening

Hi All,

I've installed v7.0.0.2 of Passkey no problems but when it loads and is running it's attempting to open a DVD (not BR) disc and just seems to hang at the "opening" stage.

The drive lite is active for about 10-15 secs as it tries to open but then this goes out and the banner "scroll" just has the status of "opening"

I've tried an un-install and reg-clean and then re-install but the same problems

Also, I notice if I then "exit" the application it leave a DVDFabPasskey process running --- so any other attempt to re-start means nothing happens on the desktop/system tray but a duplicate process in task manager.

Having to stop process's manaully and then re-start passkey but the same problem on the "Opening" persists.

I had tested DVDFabFly and this worked without any issues -- but there's no logging from this version I can find ?

Any help please ?

**** Update v7.0.0.5
    Just tried this version and the problems on opening are still there and leaving a process running is still there.....

bit frustrated
    Last edited by Asbac; 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM.

Log file attached

This is the log file i have
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Asbac,

It's not freeze at opening, it's PathPlayer running which may need several minutes. Please wait for a while, it will be finished.

Best Regards,
      Fengtao
      DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
      http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

hi fengtao,

thanks for the reply --- I waited over 10mins and it was still "opening".....

Interesting, i realised the disc was a backup copy and had NO protections on it.

When I put in the original disc of the same move, then this opened within a few seconds. So this seems to work ok on this occassion.

Obviously would not make sense to do this normally as any disc without protection can backed up with normal software (nero and the like)...

I'm sure there's a whole range ot things your working on but if a check for this could be added would help.

Many thanks again..... a loyal dvdfab fan :-)

Asbac

Comment

You can disable PathPlayer in Passkey settings if necessary.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi signals,

for sure that seems to make sense and I guess having a disc with no protection kinda tricks it -- but maybe this could be some sort of check too ? I can see how this could be chicken and egg, check for protection 1st or non-protection ???

One would have to fail (gracefully), in the code -- some sort of Try -- Do -- Exception but probably the balance is about right as it is.

In 99% of cases people will be backing up their protected discs rather than this instance -- still a nice test case.

btw -- this is the same problem (DVD no protection), that was causing my read errors in DVDFab 7.0.0.x --- where I was getting Ingore, Retry, Ignore All & Abort messages when the disc was being scanned.

As soon as I put the original (protected disc) in this opened fine with any issues.

Thanks,

Asbac

Comment

Originally posted by Asbac View Post
              Hi signals,

for sure that seems to make sense and I guess having a disc with no protection kinda tricks it -- but maybe this could be some sort of check too ? I can see how this could be chicken and egg, check for protection 1st or non-protection ???

One would have to fail (gracefully), in the code -- some sort of Try -- Do -- Exception but probably the balance is about right as it is.

In 99% of cases people will be backing up their protected discs rather than this instance -- still a nice test case.

btw -- this is the same problem (DVD no protection), that was causing my read errors in DVDFab 7.0.0.x --- where I was getting Ingore, Retry, Ignore All & Abort messages when the disc was being scanned.

As soon as I put the original (protected disc) in this opened fine with any issues.

Thanks,

Asbac
              Why would you use this with a disc with no protection? Its a decrypter. If it has nothing to decrypt why would you use it? Just use any program to copy disc to disc.
              Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

to be honest -- it was just the disc I had in my PC @ the time and didn't think to check it.

I tend to backup the originals and keep these in their cases in another room just for space ease of use and then use the back-ups to watch and take with me on travels etc... The theory being I can always go back to the original if I needed too.

In this case when I realised it was a backup copy I did exactly that -- tried the original and all worked fine.

your right if I'd have wanted to copy this (no protection disc), I would have used any program which I mentioned in post #4

my only reason for updating was to share info. and maybe this might help or provide some pointers with other issues.

cheers,

asbac

Comment

Feature or a bug?

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                  Why would you use this with a disc with no protection? Its a decrypter. If it has nothing to decrypt why would you use it? Just use any program to copy disc to disc.
                  As the Passkey is on-the-fly resident decrypter, this "feature" can be quite inconvenient.

To make a copy of the original (encrypted) disc, it must be running in the background. When the copying is finished, I tend to check the quality of the burned copy, by using PTPXL or some other software. With this behavior of Passkey, it must be stopped before inserting a newly created backup as it has no protection. Then, to make another backup it's necessary to fire-up Passkey again, and so on.

I have to agree with Asbac that this is quite strange "feature", that should be corrected. If you point a decrypting software to the plain file, it would notify you it is already decrypted, instead of going into infinite loop.
                  The [competitive program that must not be named] informs you "nothing found" when the disc without encryption/protection is inserted.

In my opinion, this should be the behavior of the Passkey as well.
                  To make Passkey behave differently from what seems expected just because the competition works as expected would be like a car manufacturer saying "OK, all of our competitors make cars with the transmissions containing neutral position - but we don't have neutral position because you are in the car to drive, not to idle at rest".
                  But I don't believe this is why Passkey behaves non-intuitively for non protected discs.

NB: Though we all know what "the competitive program" is, I'm comparing it with Passkey in a constructive way - to make Passkey better, more stable and convenient application to use.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                  X