X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Exit' leaves a process running

Hi All,

I have DVDFab Passkey running (v7.0.1.0) and no problems but I've noticed with ALL ver 7's --- if I exit the application ---

Right click the DVDFab icon from system tray and select "Exit" -- the icon disappears but it leaves a "DVDFabPasskey.exe" running in Task Manager Process's so consequently will not re-start.

I can End the process manually from Task Manager and then re-start but this should exit cleanly.

Running Wndows XP Home Edition SP3

It is for about 5 seconds in my Task Manager after pressing on Exit and then it closes itself here on XP SP3.
    人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
    Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

Hi Blazkowicz,

I've tried this lots of time and have waiting for longer periods of time than a 5-10 seconds and it still stays as an active process.

I've just done it again for the sake of re-testing and to make sure I'm not going mad and a good 8 minutes after 'Exit' the process is still running

I'm not sure what I can post to help this further but if someone has some advice then I'm willing to try.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Asbac View Post
        Hi Blazkowicz,

I've tried this lots of time and have waiting for longer periods of time than a 5-10 seconds and it still stays as an active process.

I've just done it again for the sake of re-testing and to make sure I'm not going mad and a good 8 minutes after 'Exit' the process is still running

I'm not sure what I can post to help this further but if someone has some advice then I'm willing to try.

Thanks

I don't usually chip in with a "Me Too", but I can't resist...

Running XP Pro SP3, exit Passkey, and it disappears from Task Manager as fast as I can bring it up... no problem here...

Have you tried re-installing with a new download?

And another thought... do you still have autoplay enabled in Windows?

DC

Comment

Hi DC,

Yes I've tried a clean install (remove DVDFab PassKey -- run CCleaner for reg entries) and this still does not resolve the issue.

I do have autoplay enabled -- so yes ?

I guess your hinting at me disabling this ?? If so is there any recommended precedure steps to take ?

I could just turn this off and try but if there is a suggested way then will happliy try.

Thanks,

Asbac

Comment

Something has gotta be holding on to it !!!!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yep i hear you on this gregiboy -- just not too sure how to find more info on what ?

Comment

Run Process Explorer to check what Passkey is doing after you exit. Select the process and it will list a whole bunch of handles in the bottom part of the window.

I don't think disabling Autoplay via registry, group policy or tweakui have an effect with Passkey problem, but you can try. Google has tons of similar instructions for this.

Comment

OK so I ran process exploer on my version of DVDFab Passkey and have attached the log here.

Some of the handles I know are as follows -->

O&O Defrag -- runs in system tray and schedulled to run on machine
                  ZoneAlarm -- firewall
                  Buffalo NAS -- resident have NAS storage where I save ripped DVD's
                  Creative -- software that syncs to Creative ZEN (use for mobile)
                  AVG -- Anti-Virus

Beyond these not sure I can help more on the log so hope this helps.

Cheers,

Asbac
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Asbac View Post
                    OK so I ran process exploer on my version of DVDFab Passkey and have attached the log here.

Some of the handles I know are as follows -->

O&O Defrag -- runs in system tray and schedulled to run on machine
                    ZoneAlarm -- firewall
                    Buffalo NAS -- resident have NAS storage where I save ripped DVD's
                    Creative -- software that syncs to Creative ZEN (use for mobile)
                    AVG -- Anti-Virus

Beyond these not sure I can help more on the log so hope this helps.

Cheers,

Asbac

Are you having this shutdown problem with any other programs, or just Passkey?

I assume you are running AVG in the background... do you have Real Time Protection 'enabled'?

Have you tried shutting down RTP to see if it makes a difference?

Please advise.

DC

Comment

Hi DC,

I'm only having this problem with DVDFab Passkey.

yes am running AVG in background --- I'll need to check the settings on this to confirm I have real time protection enabled but I believe this is "Yes" -- I will confirm --- it's AVG v9.0 free just for reference.

Also when I check above (AVG), I'll turn off RTP -- if it is on, and see what happens.

I'll have to report back later as it's on my home pc :-).

Thanks for the help and I'll update again when checked/tried your suggestions.

Tkx,

Asbac

Comment

The process closes instantly for me also.
                        KIS2010 av
                        XP SP3
                        prefetch and UAC disabled
                        no NAS
                        I use "What's Running" which I think is similar to process explorer and will show you the list and realtime activity for each process.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

@ DarthCopier -->

I looked through all of the AVG v9 (free) settings and could not find a direct equivilant for Real Time Protection 'enabled'.

I did play around with many of the setting's turning things on/off and running DVDFab Passkey and exiting in-between all of this with no real change, i.e. I still get DVDFab Passkey resident as a process even after exit.

I did also turn AVG off compeltly for a short time and again same result so am not sure it's here. I guess I could start to try the other apps that are in autorun system tray and turn these off one @ a time and try --- ? Not sure if this is the next best thing ?

@ Signals -->

I took you advice and ran "What's Running" and have included two XML logs of before exit Log 1 and after exit Log 2 -- if this helps shine more light on the subject.
                          Last edited by Asbac; 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM. Reason: Added atatchements as .ZIP too big

Comment

Apoligies for the mutiple posts the .XML files where too big and even as .ZIP's I've had to remove some of the services sections.

I don't believe the bits I removed would have caused the prob but here's the logs mentioned in my previous post.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Asbac
                              Try the new beta (7.0.1.1). It has a fix for slow exit under certain circumstances. Sorry about the small size problem with the xml, it was set up just for DVD to Mobile profiles which are quite small. The file size limit is about 2.5k for xml attachments.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X