Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Question - Clarification: What is the exact purpose of Passkey?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question - Clarification: What is the exact purpose of Passkey?

Passkey decrypts DVDs and Bluray discs. and then. . .?
    • It doesn't rip the disc. So that's not it.
    • Discs play in software players already before the Passkey does anything. So that's not it either.
    • So what exactly is the purpose of the program? (I tried to copy a Bluray by drag and drop, and it WORKED! but the disc wasn't encrypted with the newest, just the old 1st gen BD. So I'm not sure if that counts.)

I know! Since I have to rip the disc using a separate program, then I use DVDFab. But, wait. DVDFab also decrypts. So what exactly is the purpose for Passkey?

All silliness and sarcasm aside. I really am confused on what this is supposed to do for the customer who would buy this, but not buy DVDFab? Is this going to expand to include a straight "exact/decrypted copy" mode when it goes pay??

It allows you to watch any region DVD on your region specific DVD drive and player software. It allows you to watch Blu-ray disc without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display. It also allows you to use any software to access unencrypted DVD and Blu-ray disc content.

Comment

I see the point about allowing it to play on non-HDCP hardware. Mine is, so I didn't realize that part was there. But my concern is the ability to make a backup of a BD.

I own DVDFab. I do not have the Bluray option active right now. I tried to use it with Passkey to make a full backup of a BD. DVDFab says the drive is empty (which is what it does for encrypted discs). That was why I didn't understand the point of Passkey.

Any suggestions on that side?

Comment

In most cases it is pointless to use Passkey if you already have DVDFab.
        But there are other Passkey applications even if you do:
        • It will allow you to watch an encrypted original disc without UOPs so you can skip thru previews, etc.
        • You can use it with DVDSubEdit to quickly check an original disc for forced subtitles before ripping with DVDFab.
        plus those uses that AGJ mentioned.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

It would be pointless if I had the BD subscription. I don't have that, just the DVD and Mobile. I was hoping that Passkey would work with the free mode of DVDFab.

The free mode is supposed to be able to rip a 100% copy of BD discs if they are NOT encrypted. (The other features, main movie, customize, etc. require the paid version.) All I want is the ability to back up my BDs, so if I could use Passkey with DVDFab to back up the disc, I would buy the paid version when it comes out.

But the free version doesn't seem to work with Passkey. That was what prompted me asking what this program was for, since it didn't seem to allow DVDFab to back up the disc and I don't have any other program that backs up BDs. The competitor decrypts and backs up, so Passkey seemed to lack a reason to exist.

Has anyone gotten Passkey to work with the free DVDFab Decrypter for BDs?

Comment

Originally posted by mp0510 View Post
            The free mode is supposed to be able to rip a 100% copy of BD discs if they are NOT encrypted.
            Incorrect, all store bought BDs are encrypted. The free version of DVDFab will not compress but it will rip. DVDFab has stated that support for newer copy protection may be delayed a month or more in the free version. However, I haven't seen reports of a delay on BD titles yet.

Sounds like you should just stick with DVDFab and ignore Passkey.

Comment

The only problem is that DVDFab Free does NOT rip any BDs. This feature was active before the time ran out. It should have dropped into free mode, where I can rip movies, just not the newest encryption. But I have never once gotten it to work.

If I have to have a fully unregistered version (totally the free version with no paid portion at all, then I'm stuck. I use the DVD to mobile option frequently for conversions to iTunes. I'm not going to give that up. This is the only encoder that recognizes the "play all" option on series discs, allowing me to make a 2+ hour movie out of the disc's episodes, which I like to do (saves screen space when I'm viewing my library).

But after testing, it looks like I can simply copy & paste any decrypted BD with Passkey directly to my local drive. So, unless the price is unrealistic, (like xxxxxx, which is JUST a ripper) I'm buying Passkey. It solves my problem. Then I can keep the DVD functions in DVDFab while having access to my BDs for other options.

Comment

If it works for you, it is a good solution. I'm sure it will reasonably priced.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

you can try Passkey and ImgBurns "create image file from disc" Option to get the movies to your hard drive as an ISO file

Comment

Originally posted by mp0510 View Post
                    The only problem is that DVDFab Free does NOT rip any BDs. This feature was active before the time ran out. It should have dropped into free mode, where I can rip movies, just not the newest encryption. But I have never once gotten it to work.
                    Can one of the other mods verify this? I've seen reports both ways and would like to know for certain. Anybody have an trial expired Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray install?

@mp0510
                    If so, then I stand corrected. I made the comment because you seemed to be poo-pooing the Passkey product for no apparent reason.

Comment

The last I heard HD Decrypter ("Free" is a different product) would not crack all forms of AACS or BD+. That may be what the OP is experiencing. I will ask to be sure. I'm disinclined to go through the major pain of testing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X