Help me shortcut my workflow for ripping dvds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me shortcut my workflow for ripping dvds

I tried 7.0.5.4 with DVD Shrink, but whenever I went to save a reauthored title it gave an error that the DVD was encrypted. I even tried using DVD's I could directly access with DVD Shrink, but I had the same problem.

My current workflow for ripping a DVD goes something like:
    1. Run DVD Shrink to demux the titles I want from the DVD to disk.
    2. If DVD Shrink fails, run DVDFab HD to rip the full disk, then repeat step 1 on the files.
    3. Run avi.NET's index.NET program to extract srt and sub/idx files.
    4. If there are no closed captions, run SubRip to OCR and create an srt file.
    5. Run subresync to convert the srt file from unicode to iso8859-1 text.
    5. Run avi.NET to preview and see which titles need deinterlacing.
    6. Run Handbrake to convert the respective titles to m4v files.
    7. Preview the files to make sure the audio and subtitles are sync.
    8. Copy the files to my media server.
    9. Verify the file plays with my media player.
    10. Verify the file plays on my son's ipod touch.

I was really hoping that DVDFab could cut down the steps with it's new & improved video ripping features. But non of the files passed my quality tests and were able to play both on my sons ipod touch an my video player.

When I saw the passkey product, I was thinking great. At least I could directly access all DVD's with DVD Shrink, but no such luck. Really, I would love to buy your products if they just did what I need. DVDFab HD is great for ripping disks to my hard drive, and if passkey worked as promised I would probably buy it (at a reasonable price) when the beta is over. If DVDFab Ripper did what I need I would buy that. It really just needs a profile equivalent to Handbrake's "Apple - Universal" with large file support to work on my devices. However, I really need the ability to see the titles before I rip them, with good enough quality to see if it needs deinterlace, and if the aspect ratio/cropping is right. And of course there is the need to be able to rip subtitles to an external file. My media player only recognizes iso8859-1 srt files. In fact if I rip a UTF-8 subtitle inside the m4v it is likely I will get a cannot play video error. Besides that, I find I prefer external subtitle files because it is easier to make corrects to the timing and such.

Bill

I have used Passkey many times with DVDShrink with no problems, as have many others. Have you tried changing the I/O setting to Advanced?

As to your workflow, I think I would suggest you move the sub manipulation to earlier in the process, then directly render them to video with DVD Ripper (which now has a large preview window that you can use to monitor the conversion as it progresses). Write the decrypted files to a folder as you do now, then use DVDSubEdit to retime, re-color, reposition, force/unforce etc. all within the VOB files. It is very fast and would allow you to skip a lot of that other manipulation and sub file conversion. Your media player will not be stressed by having to deal with any sub files.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      I have used Passkey many times with DVDShrink with no problems, as have many others. Have you tried changing the I/O setting to Advanced?

As to your workflow, I think I would suggest you move the sub manipulation to earlier in the process, then directly render them to video with DVD Ripper (which now has a large preview window that you can use to monitor the conversion as it progresses). Write the decrypted files to a folder as you do now, then use DVDSubEdit to retime, re-color, reposition, force/unforce etc. all within the VOB files. It is very fast and would allow you to skip a lot of that other manipulation and sub file conversion. Your media player will not be stressed by having to deal with any sub files.
      Yuck. Burning subtitles to the videos strikes me as good of an idea as spray painting my name on the side of my car... The whole point of subtitles is to be able to turn them on when needed, and turn them off when not needed, and to be able to switch languages if I have guests who would prefer French subtitles.

Comment

I've been playing around with the v7.0.5.6, but passkey still refuses to play with DVD Shrink. For example I just tried Alien both with pass player off and pass player on. Advanced IO on, and advanced IO off. In all modes, as soon I try saving title 1, DVD Shrink errors out. However, when I turn off passkey the movie rips just fine. Perhaps passkey doesn't like 64 bit windows 7?

Bill

Comment

That is the OS I use it on. With DVDShrink for some tasks. I will try the latest Passkey and see if something has changed.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I just used Passkey to put Iron Man 2 on my hard drive with DVDShrink. No problems. Standard I/O setting on Passkey v7.0.5.6.

Comment

Please try "Deep Scan" in DVD Shrink to see the result.
              DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
              http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                Please try "Deep Scan" in DVD Shrink to see the result.
                OK. I'm not sure why I would want to deep scan, when I simply use DVD Shrink as a demux with a nice preview option. (I don't compress, I just use it to prepare the VOB files for other programs.) But I will try it as a test.

Comment

Originally posted by docbill View Post
                  OK. I'm not sure why I would want to deep scan, when I simply use DVD Shrink as a demux with a nice preview option. (I don't compress, I just use it to prepare the VOB files for other programs.) But I will try it as a test.
                  Deep scan (via the Analysis button) works fine. It is only when I go to save the selected tracks I get the error: DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted.

Comment

Originally posted by docbill View Post
                    Deep scan (via the Analysis button) works fine. It is only when I go to save the selected tracks I get the error: DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted.
                    Interesting. I actually aborted the deep scan part way through, because I saw it seemed to be working normally. When I pressed the analysis button again to resume (just to see if it really would complete) I got the same error as above.

Comment

Working...
                    X