CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUDA

I know there have been a lot of issues with the implementation of CUDA and as a result I have never really tried it.

However, I just thought I would give it a go.

Converting a BluRay to MKV does seem to take some time (as you would expect from all the data in a BluRay) I don't have a slow system - currently have an overclocked i7 920 running at 3.9Ghz and 12GB of Ram, so it has some speed under the hood.

Anyway - when converting using software only it takes about 2 - 2.5 hours to convert BluRays to MKV using a constant quality of around 19 (managed to get that working by changing the profile settings)

If I enable CUDA and change the video encoding to say both Software + CUDA and try the same conversion it take about 30 mins. Unfortunately right at the end of the conversion DVDFab shows an error and quits. This happens for the latest QT version and the normal version.

Seeing that the conversion can drop from 2.5 hrs to 0.5 hrs with CUDA enabled is it possible to get a stable release that allows CUDA?

I know I have not included my logs - I'll do that later.

Is CUDA just something that is just very unpredictable?

Thanks. DB

CUDA performance and stability depends to a great degree on the actual card you have and the way the nvidia driver interacts with it, DVDFab and your system. You should probably be using BD Copy or Ripper for this task not Video Converter.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes - realised that I had posed this in the wrong section - Sorry :-( Should have been in the section for Blu-Ray Ripper

My card is somewhat old - its an NVidia 8800 GT - it does do CUDA so in theory should work.

I'll try a few test tonight with different settings in FAB

Comment

Download the latest nvidia drivers for your card if you haven't already.

Comment

Uninstalled the drivers and re-installed - that did the trick

looks like CUDA is working on converting to MKV and the BluRay to DVD module.

Wow so much faster :-)

Comment

Always try the driver first, it is critical.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X