Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H264 Profiles & Levels: Can I change them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H264 Profiles & Levels: Can I change them?

Hi,

I am using DVDfab to convert BR & DVD to H264 for use on tablet devices and my Chromecast using the Plex Mediaserver. I need to be able to lock down the H264 encodes to a specific profile & level to ensure the resultant files play perfectly on everything.

I can't find a way to do this at all with DVDfab which is a shame because the encoded files are very good quality considering how fast the conversion is being completed (using GPU acceleration).

So have I just missed something fundamental or cannot I not lock down the level & profile settings (which I thought was a key factor in how H264 worked)?

For example if I wanted to lock it down to Baseline Profile Level 3.1, how can I do it?

Many thanks

Andrew

Sorry, there are no specific controls for this, but in most cases I think you will find that the encoding in DVDFab is consistent for profile and level given similar settings for frame size, bitrate, etc. The output files generally have good playability across a wide range of devices. If you find one that is rejected, post the details and the results of a MediaInfo scan of the file and the developers may be able to add a profile for the device to DVDFab.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi,

My aim was create H264 files (MP4 container) which stream via my Chromecast, PS3 (via DNLA) but that also play on Samsung & Nexus Android tablets + an Ipad. In other words I didn't really want lots of different versions for different devices.

Officially Android does not support anything other than Baseline profile although I have found settings in High Profile that work flawlessly across of all the devices above.

What I can't do is find a way to replicate them using DVDfab and unfortunately the files that DVDfab output that are the same quality and resolution of those output by Handbrake (i.e. using a custom template with CRF settings) do not work flawlessly on the Android mobile devices (Chromecast works fine). They tend to glitch and drop frames every now and then.

Building in level & profile options, or even a command line mode, would really be a big bonus as I am generally really impressed with the quality of image using DVDfab (and speed) and would much rather use this as my encoder of choice.

Comment

Working...
      X