gpu not being utilized under cuda encode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gpu not being utilized under cuda encode

Cuda encoding selected, gpu maintains 0% uti, while cpu is maxed out.

On the A/V codec settings page,
    under codec information,
    under supported video codec,
    H265 is not listed
    Only the following:
    CUDA_MODE_H264
    CUDA_MODE_VC1
    CUDA_MODE_MPEG2.

Does this mean what it looks like? I can't use the gpu to encode h265? Or is there something else I'm supposed to be selecting somewhere, or loading to be able to use nvenc or whatever the successor to cuda is.
    For an 8 hour video, its taking 25 hours, and crashing half the time.

Extra info:
    I'm trying to reencode a h.264 80gb mp4 into h.265 mkv.

- lightning-recoding and lightning-shrink are both selected, and cuda is selected everywhere else
    - Nvidia geforce gtx 960 (capability of 5.2)
    - driver version 10.18.13.5362 or 353.62

Extra extra info:
    I'm attempting to replace virtualdub (which I've used for close to 15 years now) with your software as my go to reencoder, so I'm doing a lot of testing right now

CUDA h265 encoding I believe requires the Maxwell architecture, found in the 970 and 980, not sure about the 960. The developers are actively working on improvements for h265, but I have no release dates available.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My 980 will use CUDA for this conversion but the cores are still loaded to 70+% and painfully slow.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
        My 980 will use CUDA for this conversion but the cores are still loaded to 70+% and painfully slow.
        Is cuda_mode_h265 actually listed as an option under your A/V codec settings page,
        under codec information,
        under supported video codec?

Originally posted by signals View Post
        CUDA h265 encoding I believe requires the Maxwell architecture, found in the 970 and 980, not sure about the 960. The developers are actively working on improvements for h265, but I have no release dates available.
        So I was shocked by this, and so I googled it. Apparently h265 hardware encoding is only available in GM2xx cards; 980, 970, and 960 should all have it.

Mediacoder claims to have it, so I tested and it appears to work. Its utilizing 10% of the gpu, and about 80% of the cpu. Just like dvdfab with h264.

The same run with dvdfab and h265 with cuda enabled, 0% gpu uti, and 80% cpu usage.

Still not sure why more of the gpu is not being used in either product (it could simply be because this is geforce not quadro (i.e. using a gaming card instead of a workstation card for a workstation job)), interesting note though, is the gpu load is only 10% but the video engine load is 70%, so maybe that answers my question??

I also ran dvdfab and h264 with software encoding, and set it to utilise the gpu for decoding. gpu-z shows 0% uti, It appears that dvdfab is not using the gpu for even decoding of h265, and my 960 has an improved h265 decoder over even the 970 and 980.

Last edited by booradlly; 08-31-2015, 07:28 AM. Reason: Now with Links!

Comment

There is no free lunch, the file size benefits of h265 come at the cost of demands on system resources and time. It does not appear that any commercial software works very well at this with current nvidia drivers. Hopefully they will be improved. For my current needs, h264 produces a good tradeoff of image quality, size, resources and time required on my PC to produce it. As I noted in the earlier post, the development team at DVDFab is working on improvements.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
          X