"Default" subtitles missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Default" subtitles missing

So, I just got done burning a LOT of movies and TV Series and during some spot checking, I noticed that the default subtitles are missing. What I mean by that is the subtitles you would see during the movie if you watched in on TV. Example: In Star Wars IV, during the scene where Han shoots Greedo, you would normally see Greedo's lines in subtitles, but not Han's. In the movies I've burned, I can either get ALL subtitles or NO subtitles. I'm using Plex to watch the movies and I've selected several subtitle entries, but all of them are all or nothing. What am I doing wrong? If I can't get a normal burn that shows the normal default subtitles on the resulting video, this is a complete waste of time, so I hope I'm just missing a setting?

This is not the best place to post things like this. In the future, use the forum for the DVDFab module you care using, like DVD Copy, Blu-ray Copy etc. or the Ripper module forum if you are making conversions.

What you are missing are the translation subtitles which can be made in several different ways, either default play or forced are the most common. Sometimes they are mixed in with the subs for the dialog, sometimes they are in their own standalone stream. To be able to help you we need to know if your source disc is a DVD or BD and if you are using Copy mode or are using Ripper to make an mP4 or MKV etc. conversion.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

patrickt333 In the past, I have posted about this issue as well as have seen posts from other users. For whatever reason, I have never had DVDFab detect and turn on as default a forced 'translation' subtitle, at least for movies that I have backed up that do have forced subtitles. The way I have worked around this, at least in Blu-ray copy mode, is to first load the original in a software player such as PowerDVD (which does detect and turn on forced subtitles) and just check which subtitle track is turned on automatically by the player, if any, when the main movie starts playing. You could of course do the same thing using a standalone player too. Then when I go to make the backup, I make sure that subtitle track is checked in the subtitle drop-down list on the main page of DVDFab. I then tag it as a default track by clicking just to the left of the appropriate subtitle track, and a small white right-pointing triangle, or arrow, will appear next to the track, indicating this track will be turned on automatically by the player. So far this method has worked for me flawlessly and I don't believe I have missed any this way. Yes, it is an extra step and sometimes a pain because in some movies you cannot chapter through the various previews (in other words the distributor forces you to watch them, though you may be able to fast forward through them ) so it may take a while to get to the main movie.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickt333 View Post
        So, I just got done burning a LOT of movies and TV Series and during some spot checking, I noticed that the default subtitles are missing. What I mean by that is the subtitles you would see during the movie if you watched in on TV. Example: In Star Wars IV, during the scene where Han shoots Greedo, you would normally see Greedo's lines in subtitles, but not Han's. In the movies I've burned, I can either get ALL subtitles or NO subtitles. I'm using Plex to watch the movies and I've selected several subtitle entries, but all of them are all or nothing. What am I doing wrong? If I can't get a normal burn that shows the normal default subtitles on the resulting video, this is a complete waste of time, so I hope I'm just missing a setting?
        Which DVDFab version are you running? Please send us dvdfab_internal log for checking, thanks. The default location for log file is: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab11\Log

Comment

Working...
        X