Selecting a title when multiple titles exist on a Blu-ray disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting a title when multiple titles exist on a Blu-ray disk

This topic has probably come up more than once before, so, please point me to an appropriate thread. I tried a couple of searches but have failed to find anything relevant.

I have been trying to rip an Avatar Blu-ray disk on which exists 2 versions, the main release title and an extended version. The main title is 2:41:41 in length, while the extended version is ~3 hrs long. The disk seems to be arranged so that, if you play it normally and select the extended version, it uses the main title, with various short titles either substituted or inserted as required. DVDFab can see only the main (shorter) title, plus a host of shorter titles that the playback uses, not an extended version of the video.

Is there a way for DVDFab to rip the extended version, without having to resort to producing a whole stack of shorter files for which one needs to use a video editor to substitute/insert into the main title? As there are quite an number of these, it will become quite tedious.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul.

Whether DVDFab can find a playlist for the extended/unrated/director's cut etc I think depends on how the disc is authored. I do not have the one with the extended version of Avatar. You can do it using Full Disc in Copy Mode but in Ripper that is obviously not an option, just look carefully at the titles list for one with the correct time when you click on the Choose Other Titles button. Use the BDInfo tool to scan a decrypted Full Disc copy and see if it shows a playlist with the extended play time.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks, signals, for coming back to me with this info. The version I have is the Extended Collector's Edition (3 disks). The extended version appears to be solely on the 1st disk. The only titles I can see on the is the main 2:41:41 file (the theatrical version) plus a large number of much smaller files ranging from ~10mins to ~20secs. I found the BDINFO text file and its contents reflect only this series of files. I can't see where the player gets the playlist for the extended version. I'll continue looking, but at this stage it looks like I'll have to use a video editor to create the extended version.

Comment

play the disc, if you get the " this film is rated PG-13 or such " before the movie starts
        then you should playing the theatrical version of the movie. the unrated version shouldn't have the rating

Comment

Thanks, october262. I've not seen a PG-13 notice, to my memory. I've tried to replay the disk. The opening menu starts up after the 20th CF banner. Selecting "Play" gives the following options:
          Original Theatrical Relaese
          Special Edition Re-release (with an additional 8 mins)
          Collector's Extended Cut (with an additional 16 mins)

Choosing the Collector's version, the movie starts up without any warnings of flags like PG-13. (Note: This menu is displayed by Cyberlink's PowerDVD 18. Using VideoSolo's Blu-ray player, the menu isn't displayed, but the Collector's version is loaded on clicking the "Play" button.)

It would appear that DVDFab can't see the 2 alternative versions. I tried using VLC Media Player with the KEYDB.cfg and libaacs.dll files installed, but it reports that this is a BD+ disk. Perhaps this is the main issue here with DVDFab. I'll try upgrading to the latest version, but I don't hold out much hope.

Comment

Just another point, or three:
            1. I have an older ripped version of this movie which is the Collector's extended edition, but at a low resolution (<720p?, and hence my reason for trying to make a more viewable one).
            2. I do not remember having any other disk of Avatar than this Extended Collector's version.
            3. I have not used any other disk ripper than DVDFab.

This leads me to believe that an earlier version of DVDFab was able to find and rip the long extended version. If this is the case, what's broken? I still have installed v10.2 and it also finds only the theatre version. Updating my current version to 11.0.5.4 didn't solve my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cplloyd42 View Post
              Just another point, or three:
              1. I have an older ripped version of this movie which is the Collector's extended edition, but at a low resolution (<720p?, and hence my reason for trying to make a more viewable one).
              2. I do not remember having any other disk of Avatar than this Extended Collector's version.
              3. I have not used any other disk ripper than DVDFab.

This leads me to believe that an earlier version of DVDFab was able to find and rip the long extended version. If this is the case, what's broken? I still have installed v10.2 and it also finds only the theatre version. Updating my current version to 11.0.5.4 didn't solve my problem.
              Please provide some information to help check it out.
              1. dvdfab_internal log file.
              2. A purchase link of the movie disc.
              3. Please open the original disc in Windows File Explorer, copy and zip everything in the disc volume EXCEPT those .m2ts files under \...BDMV\Stream, upload the zipped folder to our FTP site. Please kindly check PM.
              Thanks.

Comment

Mona,

Please see my reply to your PM. All tasks performed, I hope. Many thanks for looking into this.

Comment

Originally posted by cplloyd42 View Post
                  Mona,

Please see my reply to your PM. All tasks performed, I hope. Many thanks for looking into this.
                  Found the file you uploaded, I will download the file and keep you posted. Thanks.

Comment

It's been a month, now, but I haven't received a status report. Is there any chance you could do this soon, please?
                    I have tried 5 other Blu-ray ripper applications and all of them can see 3 different titles. Choosing the longest-running title, and accepting the limitation of 3-5 mins rip time for unregistered versions allowed me to confirm that the extended version of the movie was selected, not the theatre version.

Comment

Mona, thanks for offering to stir up your development team on this problem. However, we've now passed the 2 month mark without a response or resolution. From my perspective, this is not looking too good for your product support. I've just tried the latest release, 11.06.5, and it still finds only 1 main title. EasyFab Blu-ray Ripper is starting to look what I need.
                      Last edited by cplloyd42; 12-17-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Hi cplloyd42, we are really sorry for the late respond, the movie you reported is fixed, please kindly try again. Thank you.

Comment

Mona,

Thanks for your advice. I have installed version 11.0.6.6 and am now able to rip the long extended version of this movie.

However, it represents only a partial solution. There are 3 different versions of this movie that can be viewed, but only 1 title can be ripped. I would suggest that you advise your developers that there is more work that could be done, should there be other DVD/Blu-ray titles out there with a similar multi-title choice.

I am satisfied with the solution, but not everyone might be.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                          X