DRM Downloader 3.0.0.5 does not work with at least HBO Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRM Downloader 3.0.0.5 does not work with at least HBO Max

I purchased the entire DVD Downloader software yesterday, which advertises that it has the ability to currently record programs from Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max. It does not work for me with HBO Max. I can not test whether it works with Netflix or Disney+ as I do not subscribe to those services. I am in the US, not using a VPN for the below attempted recordings and using a HP ultra laptop with an i7 processor and a 4K screen. The browsers I used to try to record HBO Max are Chrome, Edge and Brave. I have 300 mbps internet access speed using a TP-Link WiFi 6 router. DRM Downloader is version 3.0.0.5 (latest version).

I first attempted to record Wonder Woman 1984. It would not even attempt to record the movie. I would receive an error message stating "Can't play title. Make sure your browser is not in the private browser mode." I found this message to be strange, as Downloader does not appear to use a browser. In any event, I tried loading the Chrome, Edge and Brave browsers (all not in private/incognito mode), but still got this error.

I then attempted to record Season 1 Episode 1 of the Big Bang Theory. Regardless of whether I attempted to record the program using the normal speed or the 2X recording speed, the image on the screen (during the recording process) would be choppy, with constant buffering. But it appeared to record the program, or so I thought. The program played back smoothly, but it only recorded approximately 11 minutes of the 20+ minute show.

I then attempted to record episode 1 of The Flight attendant. This program is approximately 46 minutes long. It took approximately 3 hours to record the program, as it would constantly stop and buffer. When I attempted to play the file, I received an error message stating " Can't play. This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt." Makes no difference if I use Windows media player of DVDFab Player 6, I get the same message.

I then attempted to record Boogie Nights. it took 6-1/2 hours to record (what appeared to be 1 hour 24 minutes of the 2 hour and 35 minute movie) when it suddenly said it had completed. However, when I attempted to play the file, I get the same error message I got with attempting to play The Flight Attendant.

I don't know what to do. I've tried different browsers. I've tried different players. I updated from 3.0.0.4 to 3.0.0.5 to no avail. I even connected the laptop directly to the router using an ethernet cable with a ethernet adapter to USB port on the laptop. Nothing allows me to make a playable recording from HBO Max.

I've been using a cloud based service to record programs, but its limited to a 720p resolution. I was hoping to use DRM Downloader to record HBO Max in 1080p resolution with 5.1. channel sound. Any suggestions to get this to work would be much appreciated. I note other people have posted that they also could not record Wonder Woman 1984, getting the same error message I got, and that other people also reported the choppiness/buffering of the image while it is being recorded. Thus, I do not think I am doing something wrong and that the problem lies with DRM Downloader, but I am willing to listen to that possibility. I still have 29 days to resolve this matter before requesting a refund of the purchase price. I prefer not having to do that, as I want the software to function for its intended purpose; namely, to record from HBO Max.

I have successfully downloaded two titles today from HBOMax. There is a problem with the WonderWoman movie, different protection apparently which will need to be corrected in a future release.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I was able to do the first 3 of Flight Attendant but when I checked it was only 2.0 audio so I stopped. Scoob also only did 2.0.

Comment

Hi wegman, Wonder Woman issue is known as signals said, as for other issues you reported, please zip the whole log folder and send it to us for analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by jgibo1 View Post
          I was able to do the first 3 of Flight Attendant but when I checked it was only 2.0 audio so I stopped. Scoob also only did 2.0.
          Please post the log folder as well.
          The default location for log file is:
          C:\Users\computer name\Documents\DVDFabDownloader\log

Comment

@Mona, please provide step by step instructions for whatever you want me to send you and I will gladly do so. But you need to exactly tell me what to do to provide the information you want.

After spending numerous days and a considerable amount of time trying to make successful recordings, I can report the following. As previously noted I am running the software on an HP computer with an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro. I have a 300+ Mbps internet access via Xfinity (Comcast) with a WiFi 6 ax router. Under Wifi, the computer has an internet speed (using testing sites such as fast.com) of 240 to 260 Mbps download speed (depending on the time of day) and a 12 Mbps upload speed. Ethernet connection is using Cat 6 cabling with a Gigabyte to USB-c ethernet adapter. I have absolutely no issues streaming HBO Max via wifi, streaming Vudu via wifi, streaming Netflix via wifi, streaming video from Appletv via wifi, steaming CBS Access via wifi, or streaming Amazon Prime via wifi. All of these services stream on wifi with NO hiccups, NO freezing, and NO buffering. DRM Downloader refuses to stream a program to be recorded using wifi without constant stuttering, pausing, buffering and crashing. Please note that the issues discussed below is with me having stopped every program (other than DRM Downloader) from running and stealing processor cycles. I even turned off the ant-virus software on the computer to make sure that that was not causing problems with DRM Downloader.

I am a very happy owner of the DVDFab copy suite, having purchased several copies of the suite. I also previously purchased Player 5 and Player 6. I have never had any issues with any of these programs. Unfortunately, I can not say the same with DRM Downloader.

My first attempts to use the program was to record several programs streaming on HBO Max. I first attempted to record Wonder Woman 1984 with no success. I understand this is a known problem. I then attempted to unsuccessfully record episodes of The Big Bang Theory, The Flight Attendant, and Young Sheldon.

Trying to record a program from HBO Max using wifi is impossible, The recording operation continuously pauses to buffer and then the recording unexpectantly exits (crashes). For example, after approximately 2 hours of “recording” The Flight Attendant (a 46 minute program) due to the constant buffering, the recording operation unexpectantly crashed. The recorded file would not be playable. These attempted recordings were made using the normal recording speed. The high speed recording option results in even more stuttering and buffering of the streamed program, and thus takes longer to record a program than using the normal speed.

I then attempted to record a program from HBO Max using an ethernet connection. I was able to record a program in real time (e.g., 46 minutes to record an episode of The Flight Attendant). But I then had other issues. First, the recording was in AAC 2 channels, and not 5.1 channel. The software is configured for 5.1 channel audio and Best video resolution, but nothing I did would result in a multichannel (5.1) audio recording. The software also does not stay on the Best video resolution setting. It would randomly change to 720 or 480 resolution, so every time I attempted to record a program I would have to check the video resolution setting.

After the first recording was successfully made using an ethernet connection, it would not do a second recording. For example, when I tried to record the second episode of The Flight Attendant, the recording timer would not increment, indicating that a recording operation was not being performed. If I terminated this session and attempted a new recording session, the same thing would happened. However, if I let the video program run for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, the “recording” session (where the recording timer would not change from 0 hr 0 minutes 0 seconds during this time) would eventually crash. After this crash occurs, the next recording session would function to record the program (as indicated by the incremating timer). However, the recording after that would run into the same problem as before, where the timer would not increase and no recording would occur until the attempted recording crashes.

If I exit out of DRM Downloader after each recording session is completed and reload DRM Downloader, I can make a subsequent recording. But this means run DRM Downloader, record program, exit DRM Downloader, reload DRM Downloader, record a new program, exit DRM Downloader, reload DRM Downloader, etc. Very tedious.

As noted above, no recording from HBO Max is recorded in 5.1 channel audio. Every recording is in AAC 2 channel audio.
            I then obtained credentials to try recording from Disney+. However, I ran into the same problems that I ran into with HBO Max, namely, unable to use DRM Downloader to record a program using wifi (even though every streaming service I have operates without issue on wifi, and as noted above, crashing after a first recording is made when using ethernet, and the inability to record 5.1 channel audio.

I suspect something in DRM Downloader is hogging all the resources, rendering the ability to record a program using wifi impossible. I believe that this is also responsible for DRM Downloader not making a successful second recording until an attempted second recording (that does not actually record) crashes, which most likely clears some register or memory space. As to the inability to record a 5.1 channel soundtrack, I don’t know what is the cause of this issue.

I hope that DVDFab is able to quickly remedy these problems.

Comment

The wifi problem I suspect is your network or wifi settings. My tests were made using 5 GHz wifi from a Wavlink AC 3000 router. If you want assistance, you must attach the logs that Mona requested above. Detailed instructions for supplying logs can be found here: https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...532#post263532 Scroll down to Supplying Logs...just below the colored text.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

[content deleted]
                Please supply the log if you want assistance. No more long posts required. Mona’s post contains the log location.

Comment

This is all I could find. There really is no log because when I removed the program it deleted everything. When I installed new version 3.0.0.8, I could not record anything because of an alleged private browser issue. I am not using any browser with HBO Max (unless there is a browser built into DRM Downloader. If this can not be resolved shortly I will need to request a refund of the whole Downloader suite.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X