Cannot move all files from \Documents\DVDFab Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot move all files from \Documents\DVDFab Folder

The configuration in StreamFab lets me change drive and folder directories, BUT there are still folders and files under \Documents\DVDFab including subfolders StreamFab and updateLog that appear to me hard coded.

This causes syncing issues with the software that I use for backup of this folder over multiple machines in which multiple machines are licensed.

If this is hard-coded, WHY?

Is there a registry hack that I can use to move this apparent hardcoded folder(s) that I cannot move within the configuration of the program(s)?

Thanks kindly.

If you have DVDFab installed also there will be additional folders hard coded that contain logs and other operational data. The locations are fixed so that the logs and other data can be found by everyone in the same place.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      If you have DVDFab installed also there will be additional folders hard coded that contain logs and other operational data. The locations are fixed so that the logs and other data can be found by everyone in the same place.
      It would be better if this was off the user profile instead of in Documents. Because this is in Documents it get's sync to OneDrive since they are just about forcing you to move it to OneDrive.
      Also in my case I'd rather it on my spining drive for ripping and encoding not my SSD.

And hard coding paths is bad coding in my opinion

To the OP, I used a Symbolic Link to move the folder to another drive. It still syncs to OneDrive but at least it is not on my SSD. I used this powershell command as admin. Just change <username> to your users name and target to the path you want it to be at. You will also need to make sure all of StreamFab and DVDFab is shut down. Stream has a process that stays running in the background by default.

new-item -Path "C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive\Documents\DVDFab " -ItemType SymbolicLink -Target E:\DVDFab

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        The issue is many of us running WIndows 10 and above use OneDrive. It's a very affordable cloud service.

I do not know of anyone using hard coded paths as that is considered poor coding. When I was coding 20 years ago, that was considered poor coding. As talented as your programmers are, can you please get this changed so those of us who are power users can change the path?

Thank you kindly.

Comment

Unlikely to be changed, for several reasons. One I mentioned earlier. Also, remember that back in the dark ages a court ruling in the US gave third party service providers the ability to remove Fab or Fab products from their platforms with no notice. If you want to wake up with everything gone one morning, go right ahead.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for providing that information as that does help me further understand your point. However in this case I wish to have my \Documents folder backed up and DVDFab *not* in a folder that a 3rd party would have access to. I'll not belabor further and will do a work-around. In all sincerity, I do appreciate your response.

Comment

Working...
            X