Problem: Foreign Film with english subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem: Foreign Film with english subtitles

Using the latest version of DRM Downloader, I downloaded a foreign video this morning from Netflix with english subtitles. It plays fine with subtitles in VLC media player, but I cannot get the subtitles to appear via my OPPO UDP-203. Could it be because the file is MP4 instead of MKV? I tried changing the settings to create subtitles in a SRT file. But the file was not created after I tried re-downloading the video. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Please use the Prefix when starting a new thread. We would then know the version you are using (“current” is now v3.2.0.2). Please also always attach the drmDownloader log session. Since your case involves subtitles, please scan the file you are playing back with MediaInfo and attach the text output of that as well.

As a temporary workaround, try running the mp4 through the DVDFab Converter module to make it an mkv or better, burn the subs into the video using the Direct Render subs option. You can use Converter in trial mode without buying it if you do not have it already.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Used the trial converter to create MKV. It is fine. Subtitles appear as they should. I am just confused as to why they did not appear in the MP4. Does this mean that I will have to convert any downloaded video (MP4) which is in another language and has english subtitles? What is an SRT file and why was it not created when selected it instead of Remux?

Comment

Sub titles on an mp4 only work if they are burnt in, or the play accepts external .srt files for subs.

I personally use mkvnixtool to remux the mp4 and srt files into a single mkv file for my plex server. This also lets me use options to set forced subs for forced audio

Comment

I changed the Download subtitle setting to "Extract to SRT File". But after the download from Netflix completed, there was no .srt file created. So the only thing I could do was to purchase the license for the Converter. Then I was able to convert the MP4 to MKV and it played fine with subtitles on my OPPO UDP-203. Maybe you can enlighten me why the .srt file was not created. Thank you.

Comment

Make sure you check the subtitles you wish to download in the selector.

Comment

Working...
            X