No announcement yet.

UHD friendly drives: feature to prevent disc from going idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request UHD friendly drives: feature to prevent disc from going idle

It seems that when working with UHD discs, UHD friendly drives (e.g. LG WH16NS40) work only until the disc spins down and the drives go idle due to inactivity periods.

This timeout is easy to hit if you're playing with settings or if you have multiple drives so that operations are queued up. I think a cool feature would be to detect when a UHD disc is in the drive and have a setting/option that tells Fab to periodically access the drive so that it doesn't go idle.

Either that, or is there a fix that will address the root cause of whatever stops the disc from working after the drive goes idle?

Thanks

The root cause is the drive firmware. Moving this to the UHD forum.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

This is interesting. Perhaps that's why my first attempt at ripping "Blade Runner 2047" failed. Everything was going great, and then my LG BE16NU50 just stopped blinking. I tried it twice and it stopped responding at almost exactly the same place. Is there a Windows setting to keep the drive connection awake/alive, maybe in Power Settings?

As stated in the other thread, I don't know what firmware version I have, but given the warnings about upgrading:

"NOTE: Don't update any firmware on drives as they will lose capability to read UHD discs!"

I'm hesitant to upgrade firmware to resolve any "sleepy drive" issues.

- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ViperGeek.net View Post
        This is interesting. Perhaps that's why my first attempt at ripping "Blade Runner 2047" failed. Everything was going great, and then my LG BE16NU50 just stopped blinking. I tried it twice and it stopped responding at almost exactly the same place. Is there a Windows setting to keep the drive connection awake/alive, maybe in Power Settings?

As stated in the other thread, I don't know what firmware version I have, but given the warnings about upgrading:

"NOTE: Don't update any firmware on drives as they will lose capability to read UHD discs!"

I'm hesitant to upgrade firmware to resolve any "sleepy drive" issues.

- Dave
        there are a few settings for power saving like having the computer not go to sleep or not turn off hard discs.
        i doubt if any of these will have any effect for dvd drives.

Comment

Working...
        X