Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step by Step Description on setting your Windows 10 System up to run UHDDRIVETool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UHD Drive Tool Step by Step Description on setting your Windows 10 System up to run UHDDRIVETool

I had a bit of a struggle to get UHDDriveTool Working on my system to finally allow successfully Downgrading the firmware of my unfriendly UHD. So I thought I might share how I got mine to work. This is what I found during my two days of fun.

UHDDriveTool encountered errors of various kinds on my older system running Windows 7 (64bit) and at the end I deduced there was some incompatibility issue with Windows 7.

Reluctantly I decided to experiment on my main Windows 10 system.

UHDDriveTool successfully downgraded the firmware on my UHD in my Windows 10 64bit system with a gigabyte motherboard after a fair amount of trial and error. The biggest problem was getting the motherboard to run in IDE mode and booting Windows 10 in Safe mode

This is how I got mine to work.

Firstly I disabled my Anti Virus and Firewall software and also disabled Malwarebytes.

Then with the system running you need to set it up to reboot in safe mode on the next restart.

Type MSCONFIG in the lower Search window and selected the System Configuration App.
    Select the Boot tab and click on Safe boot minimal and OK.

A pop up appears with option Restart and Exit without restart.
    Make sure all your programs are closed and ready for a shutdown.
    Select Restart and the system powers down.

During the Power up of the computer with black screen press the DEL (DELETE) key multiple times till you hear a beep from the motherboard speaker. (Note: DEL is used by Gigabyte - Check your motherboard user manual or website to see what will do it for your motherboard)

(I run a 3 monitor system with NVidia so I wasn't seeing the Bios Boot screen so I had to revert to a simple DVI monitor to display the bios screen). Some people may experience problems if they run the Bios FAST Boot Option)

The BIOS screen should now be displayed.
    Using the Bios Menu locate where the AHCI is selected as the default driver.
    Change it to IDE.
    Exit and Save.

The computer will now restart in Safe Mode and the IDE drivers and handlers will load. DO NOT RUN DVDFAB at this point.

Now you need to reboot the system back in normal mode with the IDE driver as default.

Type MSCONFIG in the lower Search window and selected the System Configuration App.
    Select the Boot tab and un-click on Safe boot minimal and OK.

On reboot you are now running your windows 10 using IDE Drivers.

Run the DVDFab program and under Utilities select UHDDRiveTool in the menu.

The UHD Drive Tool Window will appear.

Under Drive Information you should see your UHD drive listed and the interface as ATAPI and SATA mode as IDE.

Proceed to Downgrade the Firmware to the recommended version.

At the end the UHD will have been flashed with the new (older) firmware.
    It takes about a minute or so and will tell you when complete.

(We now need to go back into BIOS and set it back to the original AHCI driver mode)

Set windows to reboot in safe mode.

Select the Boot tab and click on Safe boot minimal and OK

During the Power up of the computer with black screen press the DEL key multiple times till you hear a beep from the motherboard speaker.
    The BIOS screen will now be displayed.
    Using the Bios Menu locate where the IDE Driver is selected and revert it back to AHCI as the default driver.
    Change it to AHCI.
    Exit and Save.

The computer will now restart in Safe Mode and the AHCI drivers and handlers will load.

(Now you need to reboot the system back in normal mode with the AHCI driver now reset back as default.)

Select the Boot tab and un-click on Safe boot minimal and OK

On reboot you are now running your windows 10 using AHCI Drivers.

DONE.

Note: All care but no responsibility if this doesn't work for you.
    Note: I made a full backup of my system (cloned the System SSD) prior to experimenting. Fortunately I didn't need to use it.

Thanks for sharing your procedure, I would point out to others that this is has not been evaluated by the DVDFab developers but looks similar to the dev instructions. As you correctly pointed out, even identical PCs can have slightly different BIOS or installed drivers.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

What model of Gigabyte board are you running? I am thinking of building a Hackintosh but I want a board that has IDE mode so I can have the option to downgrade my firmware as needed.

Comment

Working...
      X