Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLAYING BACK 4K UHD discs advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Question PLAYING BACK 4K UHD discs advice needed.

Hello

If I copy a 4K UHD disc to standard blu ray 50GB disc can I play this disc on a standard blu ray player or do I need a 4K UHD blu ray player I dare say I need a 4K UHD player to display the content will this degrade the quality sound video copying to a 50GB dual layer disc. Also, separately to this question will the copied 4K UHD blu ray disc be able to play on this 4K UHD blu ray player of my choosing or will it be locked out by copyright restrictions on the 4K UHD disc or does your software overcome this particular hurdle.

I am asking because currently I do not own any 4K UHD blu rays but I am getting a Sony 570es 4K projector so I would like to ask before I invest in a 4K blu ray player can I play my copied discs without the UHD blu ray player coming up with a warning stating cannot play this disc.

I will look forward to your reply.

Are there any particular 4K Blu ray players I should look out for in particular?

Harry

DVDFab removes all region, country and encryption restrictions from the original UHD disc. If you use the Full Disc copy mode, for some discs the amount of compression might be noticeable in the picture. Main Movie should fit with no compression for most titles. Sony is also a movie studio, so their players tend to have more restrictive firmware but most discs should work regardless. Do not burn at too high a speed for your blanks/burner capabilities.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

A standard bluray player has 1080p avc, vc-1 or mpeg2 decoder to playback a disc. Therefore any disc played on it must use one of the those format.
      It simply won't understand a 4k hevc disc.

A UHD bluray player has the 4k hevc decoder along with the previously mentioned decoders. Keep in mind that UHD bluray players are now required to use Cinavia, which will block a non original disc if present. DVDFab has a tool to remove it, but it does convert the audio to a non compressed PCM stream (last time I checked). This means less overall space for the video content on the disc.

Streaming boxes like the Shield TV (2019) do not have the Cinavia requirement. For playing back a uhd disc with a minimum of transcoding, your best bet is a streaming box with a streaming server. I use a Shield TV (2019) pro with a plex server and I can play UHD content without any transcoding. I only need to use my UHD bluray player for a Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos disc. Video containers like mkv just can't handle both of them at the same time at this point in time. Work is being done to change that.

Comment

Working...
      X