Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware Problem/Question movie server HDD recognition

Hi
    I have received my movie server and have successfully set it up except for the server recognising the hard drive. The server says that there is no hard drive detected. The firmware has been updated
    I have purchased a seagate 8tb archive hard disk drive. The movie server and my computer using windows 10 do not recognise the HDD.
    I have downloaded seagate disk wizard and when I run the program it formats the drive with GPT formatting which the movie server says it supports however the HDD is still not recognised by the movie server or my PC (except in seagate diskwizard)
    I have seen on the forum that the HDD needs to be formatted using NTFS, is this so or should the server recognise GPT formatting?
    Do I need to purchase a external HDD docking station in order to use my windows XP computer to format my HDD in the ntfs format
    does the movie server format the HDD or is it a requirement outside the server?
    Does the fact that it is an archive HDD matter to the server or is there a possibility that the HDD is faulty?
    any help please
    Last edited by pacman; 07-12-2017, 10:28 AM. Reason: remove id

If you purchased the drive online, please supply a buy link so we can see the specs or give us the manufacturer make and model number. Can you hear the drive spin up when Server is powered on? It should be formatted NTFS in the PC first.

If the Android OS can't see the drive, and Windows can't see it, it is either defective or has not been partitioned or formatted correctly in Device Manager.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Pacman,
      I have the same drive. All you need to do is initialize the drive. I used a USB external SATA docking station to do a quick NTFS format. Once it's initialized you can put it back into the Movie Server and you should be fine.

Comment

thanks fastboat , I will have to source a hard drive docking station and give it a try
        signals the specs for the HDD
        ST8000AS0002 8TB 5900 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
        ta
        pacman

Comment

That should fix you up and a docking station is handy. Get a USB 3.0 model if your PC has USB 3.0 ports. Not very expensive.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

my computer using windows 10 do not recognise the HDD.
            Insert HDD to windows -right click my cumputer button-Manage

Choose Disk Management , you can see you new HDD , right click to format it

Format it ,make sure it has a volum lable
            Attached Files
            User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
            For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
            For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
            For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

HDD Setup

I took the advice I read here and elsewhere to buy an external USB 3.0 docking station. I think it was $19.95. I attached to my PC and did a complete init of an 8TB disk. It took a long time but I was in no hurry. My Movie Server showed up today, installed per the instructions with no error. I pinned the Movie Server drive to my PC and coped a file to it. Playing right now with no issues. Next I'm gonna let DVDFAB make a backup to it. I feel that any current backups you want to copy to it may go a lot faster direct connected to the PC with the docking station

Comment

the hard drive docking station made it easy for windows 10 to recognise the HDD. Once it was properly formatted using ntfs file system the movie server was able to recognise the hard drive

Comment

Working...
                X