Newly installed DMS Cannot Detect Internal Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly installed DMS Cannot Detect Internal Hard Drive

My new DMS cannot detect either of two brand new internal 3.5 " SATA hard drives (WD 4TB or Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB). I have DMS versiopn 2.2.1.

When I go to Settings==>System Maintenance==>Disk Manager, the screen says:

No Disk Detected.

I did a hardware reset, and nothing changed. The DMS works fine with my movies stored on my network.

I tried the drives unformatted, right out of the factory box, and the DMS could not detect and format them.

I formatted the 4TB with Windows 7x and added a movie file made with DVDFab 11, but the DMS cannot detect the internal HD.

What else can I do to help my DMS dectect the internal hard drive?

what are the internal HDD formatted as ??
    NTFS or FAT32 try reformatting to NTFS and see if the DMS will detect the HDD.

Comment

The WD 4TB drive is already formatted to NFTS, and the DMS cannot detect it. Just to make sure that the drive is working, I mounted it in a PC, and it works fine. Put it back into the DMS, and it cannot find the drive.

Comment

do USB flash drives work ok ??
        might try updating to the latest DMS beta version.

Comment

I can't find my reply in the forum posting, so I am posting it again. Sorry if this is a duplication. The drive is formatted to NFTS. I removed it from the DMS and inserted it into a PC drive bay. It works fine. I put it back into the DMS, and the DMS cannot detect it.

Comment

To: October262, As you suggested, I tried a USB flash drive (2.)), and the DMS found it immediately and was able to play the movie I had recorded on it from DVDFab 11. I am a little nervous about udating to the latest DMS beta version because everything else works so well. Got any other thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

are you using the quick format or the long format ??

Comment

I did the "quick" format. I am reformatting it now using the long format. Will post an update when done and reinstalled in the DMS.

Comment

October262, I am reformatting the hard drive with the long format, but it has been over 12 hours and the process is only about halfway done. As soon is the format is completed and the HDD is reinstalled in the DMS, I will post an update. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CPUTO View Post
                    October262, I am reformatting the hard drive with the long format, but it has been over 12 hours and the process is only about halfway done. As soon is the format is completed and the HDD is reinstalled in the DMS, I will post an update. Thanks!

Comment

It took 3 days, but the 4TB internal HDD was formatted using the "long" format to NFTS in Windows . I replaced it into the DMS, but the DMS still gives the message: "NO DISK DETECTED. Please insert a 3.5" SATA hard drive into Movie Server first." So the next thing I tried was a "hard" reset turning off the DMS and restarting it with a paper clip inserted into the "reset" opening. It showed the reset happening on the screen, but when finished, I got that same "NO DISK DETECTED" message. It does, however, see and access the thumb drive I have in the USB 2.0 slot. Also, I can feel the HDD "click" into place when I insert it. I don't know what else to try, and it is frustrating not to be able to store my movies on the DMS. Everything else works wonderfully.

Comment

do you have a USB to SATA converter ??
                        1. Connect the SATA hard drive to your PC via a USB to SATA converter;2. Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management, find the connected hard drive, which should be marked as Not Initialized;3. Initialize the HDD using the GPT method.4. Right-click the hard disk and select to create a new volume, format the disk is necessary.
                        this is from the dvdfab movie server user manual.pdf

Comment

CPUTO...At this point I think it is time to try the 'DISKPART' command...First I want to warn you that you have to be very careful using this because it will absolutely destroy any disk structure and basically take the disk back to what it was coming off the factory assembly line. What follows is a series of screenshots showing the commands to clear the disk of all information. Maybe do a little reading up on it before attempting to use it. I am running Windows 7 but I think Windows 10 has the same command. Start with an elevated command prompt then type the DISKPART command
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	369457

Comment

...then type list disk to see all the disk on your system...for my example I selected disk 4 which is a USB thumb drive.

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	369459

Comment

...here is that command

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	369461