No announcement yet.

Newly installed DMS Cannot Detect Internal Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPUTO...the drive appears to be setup OK...did you get the 'Initialize Disk' dialog before partitioning and formatting?
    I use a tool that comes with Win7 called 'Snipping Tool'...check your accessory folder...I pin it to the task bar. It freezes the screen then you drag and outline the section of the screen you want to capture. From there you save as a *.jpg to a folder of your choice, I created a folder called 'Snippets' and that is where I save them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	369595

Comment

I went through the manual for the server...other than using a USB to SATA bridge I think we got it covered since using a bridge setup is not the only way to set up a HDD. If Windows sees it and files can be written to it and read back then the drive is setup OK. This is a capture from pg. 49 of the users manual.

Name:	Pg. 49 of User Manual.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	369598

Comment

CPUTO...when you insert the drive...
        1) Does the door close fully?
        2) With the drive installed and the server powered on can you lightly feel the top of the unit and determine that the drive is 'spun up'?

Comment

The drive "snaps" in and seats firmly. The door then closes fully. This drive is very quiet, I turned off the DMS switch and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then I turned the switch back on while placing my hand flat on the top opf the unit, and I jiust can't feel or hear anything like the drive spinning up. However, when the drive is sitting in the adapter and not encased, it is quiet but perceptably spinning. Reading between the lines, I am guess that there is a hardware issue with the DMS and that I need to get a reaction from the DVD Fab folks. Make sense? Unless you have other thoughts. Thanks again!

Comment

CPUTO...I have an 8 TB WD Red and it is very quiet but I can still feel the vibration(...very slight) by putting my hand on top of the unit. During boot up I can hear the drive doing its 'SEEKS' as the controller from the DMS reads out the content of the drive...this would be true even if there was nothing on the drive except the MBR and the File Allocation Table(..or in the case of an NTFS file system, HPFS)...hell put your ear on it, if it is spun up you will hear it. If it isn't spinning in the DMS but works in your PC then I would say the the DMS is the problem because the drive isn't getting the command to spin up

It is quite possible that something came loose during shipping and handling, like an internal cable or something. File a warranty return and go through their process.
            Last edited by Dead Eye; 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Dead Eye, I can't thank you enough for all this help. You have been super! I can't get a peep out of the drive in the DMS no matter how close I listen. So, I'm going to turn to the warranty route with DVD Fab. All the best, my friend!

Comment

CPUTO...Well you're certainly welcome! It does look like the warranty route is your only option. If you contact them by email include a link to this thread.
                Did you play around with that Snipping Tool? FYI...Microsoft is set to stop supporting Windows 7 in Jan 2020. I plan to start building up a Win 10 HDD soon and transition to it. The good thing is all I'll have do is plug it in to the drive bay...this is a PIC of the drive bays that I put in this PC I built, the boot drive bay is separate from the bottom 4...the second one up from the bottom is the one I keep free and is the one I used to set the HDD up for the DMS.

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	369662
                Good Luck on the return process...it should be straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                X