Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also would like to see a 64-bit version of DVDFab.
    Formerly DVDKingdom

Comment

Aye, a fully supported 64bit version would be very nice. +1 here!

Comment

64bit Yes, Yes, Yes. Please?

Comment

I think a 64-bit version of DVD-Fab would be great. I think DVDs and Blu-Ray discs would rip so much faster!

Comment

Agreed

+1. All programs are moving towards 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by eon_designs View Post
              Yup - have a core 7 i920 chip so effectively 8 threads. However, running it on 64bit win 7 with 12 gb ram - Would really love to be able to use all of that to help speed things up. :-)
              The bottleneck in this scenario is the read speed of the Source drive, not the CPU utilization.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

signals, you can also rip from an iso image mounted in a virtual drive and that is, of course, faster
                人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
                Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

The benefits of running native x86-64 software instead of 32-bit software include improved performance, security and the ability to address and use more memory.
                  Generally, 32-bit software can run on x64 Windows, using the WoW64 subsystem included on all 64-bit versions of Windows.
                  However, due to limitations in 64-bit Windows, some 32-bit software components have incompatibility issues with x64 Windows. These include:

* Kernel-mode device drivers
                  * Explorer shell extensions
                  * ActiveX controls
                  * Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs)

32-bit software that runs on x64 Windows in the same manner as it does on 32-bit windows is usually called "x64-compatible" software (as opposed to "native x64" software). I really dont think DVD Fab Platinum would gain much using a native 64 bit platform, it works just fine using the WOW64 subsystem.
                  Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                    signals, you can also rip from an iso image mounted in a virtual drive and that is, of course, faster
                    I was talking about the initial rip from disc.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yeah, you are ALL right.

There would be very little improvement when the process involve either reading or writing to/from an optical disk. As Signals says, that is the bottleneck.

Where 64 bit native mode MAY improve performance is in the transcoding/encoding area. I hav tested other encoding applications in both native 64 bit and 32 bit mode and surprisingly there is only about a 10% improvement in elapsed time.

This makes me wonder whether the time put into developing a native 64 bit version would be worthwhile.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

10% in one day is 2.4 hours .... were the other encdoing applications specifically designed for 64 or just allow you to run them on 64 bit OS.

trying a 32 bit application in 64 bit mode is not a true test / comparison.

Comment

No they were built for X64
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                          X