Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody said anything about logging in as administrator. Signals said install it and run it as administrator. You need not be logged in as admin to elevate program execution.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Please don't offer fixes that you haven't tried or verified. DVDFab requires unfettered access to the registry, optical drive IO systems and many other areas without being interrupted by warnings or permission requests from the OS. If you can set your system up to provide all that without being admin, fine, but installing and running from an admin account is easier and more reliable.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        Please don't offer fixes that you haven't tried or verified. DVDFab requires unfettered access to the registry, optical drive IO systems and many other areas without being interrupted by warnings or permission requests from the OS. If you can set your system up to provide all that without being admin, fine, but installing and running from an admin account is easier and more reliable.
        I installed DVDFab8 and 9 as me, the only user on the systems that I use (in this case XP Pro). All done as indicated in the above posting. No logging in as admin before installing the software. So, what I posted above have indeed been verified (except as noted), otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned them.

I did misread your posting. Sorry about that. But, that leads to the following question. If the program needs to be installed and run as admin, why didn't the installer detect that the program wasn't being installed to run as needed, instead of just installing and then fail to function as needed?

Comment

Considering that Windows security has change somewhat since the advent of your >10 year old O/S, your points are not really valid.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You are right. It was a big reason that so many hated Vista and refused to install it, including the big corporation that I used to work for. The next version was supposed to have eased up on that. Even with Vista, users could configure it so that it wasn't horrible, but the hoops to jump through made it though for non-gurus to navigate.

So, my point about DVDFab not letting the user know of permission issues at install time are not the fault of the user when DVDFab has issues like the one pointed out by the poster with internet access, even though there is nothing wrong with internet access by other programs.

Comment

Working...
            X