H.265-Compress Double Layer DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Niner!!!

I give up. Some people you just cannot help...
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I didn't understand the question either until his last post. I've tried what he wants and yes you can make an H.265 from a compressed movie on a DVD5. Nothing I have will play it except DVDFab Media Player but it can be done.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

You mean as a file, not as a DVD compliant disk?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yeah I believe that to be the question. As first worded I thought he wanted to make a DVD compliant disc using H.265. An MP4 or MKV.
          Last edited by 90312; 10-29-2014, 10:47 PM.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Let me ask you this, maybe it will help in Understanding what I'm saying.

What doe's Fab use when they Compress a Double Layer DVD to Fit a Single Layer DVD ???

That will play in a DVD Player.

Comment

MPEG-2 because that is what is required by the DVD Standard to play as a DVD compliant disk.

If you mean as just a file on a DVD (or a USB stick) that most standard DVD players will play, you can use any codec that the DVD player will play.

Most current DVD players will play H263 and H264 encoded files but will not play H265 encoded files as the hardware is not designed for H265 playback.

Very little current hardware will.

H265 = Lots of noise, marketing B/S, very little action/adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                MPEG-2 because that is what is required by the DVD Standard to play as a DVD compliant disk.

If you mean as just a file on a DVD (or a USB stick) that most standard DVD players will play, you can use any codec that the DVD player will play.

Most current DVD players will play H263 and H264 encoded files but will not play H265 encoded files as the hardware is not designed for H265 playback.

Very little current hardware will.

H265 = Lots of noise, marketing B/S, very little action/adoption.
                I asked what does Fab use in the Compression of the Double Layer DVD.

So are you saying that the MPEG-2 is what Fab uses for the Compression ?

Because I'm trying to understand what they use for the Compression NOT the Conversion.

Comment

2nd Part,

After the Double Layer DVD is Compressed to fit a Single Layer DVD it is still in the SAME format, it was just Compressed to fit a Single Layer DVD.

So what does Fab use for the Compression ???

Comment

MPEG-2 just like the input. DVDFab DVD compression does not decode/re-encode the stream, so it remains MPEG-2.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      MPEG-2 just like the input. DVDFab DVD compression does not decode/re-encode the stream, so it remains MPEG-2.
                      Thanks Signal,

I'm trying to understand, so the Compression comes from the MPEG-2.

So how does the H.264 come into the Process ?

I heard that the H.264 has something to do with the VOB & VTS.

Comment

That is not correct to my knowledge. h264 is not specified by the DVD-Video standard, and DVD players do not support it. The VOB files contain a MPEG-2 stream. It can be decoded (like DVD Ripper does) and then re-encoded using the h264 or h265 codecs. Many Blu-rays use h264, a few use VC-1 and some early ones used MPEG-2. They can do this because the standalone players were built to handle the other codecs.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

That is not correct to my knowledge. h264 is not specified by the DVD-Video standard, and DVD players do not support it. The VOB files contain a MPEG-2 stream. It can be decoded (like DVD Ripper does) and then re-encoded using the h264 or h265 codecs. Many Blu-rays use h264, a few use VC-1 and some early ones used MPEG-2. They can do this because the standalone players were built to handle the other codecs.
                          So the DVD Video is MPEG-2, and Fab uses the MPEG-2 to Compress the Double Layer DVD to a Single Layer DVD.

Did I get that right ?

You said "It can be decoded (like DVD Ripper does) and then re-encoded using the h264 or h265 codecs."

Can you explain what the Decoding and Re-encoding is that the H-264 & H.265 Does ?

Comment

Originally posted by ordman View Post
                            So the DVD Video is MPEG-2, and Fab uses the MPEG-2 to Compress the Double Layer DVD to a Single Layer DVD.

Did I get that right ?
                            Yes, that is what happens. It reduces the bitrate of the video so the file gets smaller.

You said "It can be decoded (like DVD Ripper does) and then re-encoded using the h264 or h265 codecs."

Can you explain what the Decoding and Re-encoding is that the H-264 & H.265 Does ?
                            It is a different module in DVDFab. The compression from DL to SL takes place in the Copy module. The h264/h265 conversion takes place in the Ripper module. The MPEG-2 is decoded to video then encoded using the h264 or h265 (or other) codecs and output as a single file.

Comment

Yes, that is what happens. It reduces the bitrate of the video so the file gets smaller.It is a different module in DVDFab. The compression from DL to SL takes place in the Copy module. The h264/h265 conversion takes place in the Ripper module. The MPEG-2 is decoded to video then encoded using the h264 or h265 (or other) codecs and output as a single file.
                              In the Ripper Mode it takes the Different VOB's Of the Main Movie and Decodes into a Video, which is then Converted into different Formats using the H.264 & H265 and other Codecs.

Is this Correct ?

Thanks Signal for taking the Time to help me understand these things more.

I know that H.265 is still fairly New.

I would like to ask you, Is there a different/better way to do the Compression of a Double Layer DVD.

Is there a way to use the MPEG-2 Video and the H.265, to get a better Compression ?

Fab can do Interesting things such as Converting a BluRay Video to a DVD Video.

Could Fab Convert the Video's (VOB's) into a Different Format, then Compress that Video, then Convert that Video back into the VOB's, which would make your FULL Double Layer DVD with a Smaller File.
                              By Doing it that way, you would have LESS VOB's, and a Smaller DVD.

Could Fab, do that ???

Fab Could have a Separate Section for People who wanted to use it, to keep their menues etc, and have more control of the Size of their Double Layer DVD.

What do you Think Of My Idea's ???

Comment

Originally posted by ordman View Post
                                In the Ripper Mode it takes the Different VOB's Of the Main Movie and Decodes into a Video, which is then Converted into different Formats using the H.264 & H265 and other Codecs.

Is this Correct ?

Thanks Signal for taking the Time to help me understand these things more.

I know that H.265 is still fairly New.

I would like to ask you, Is there a different/better way to do the Compression of a Double Layer DVD.
                                It depends on how you define "better". There are other ways but they take much longer than the method DVDFab uses, which is a good compromise of the size, image quality and speed of conversion constraints.

Is there a way to use the MPEG-2 Video and the H.265, to get a better Compression ?
                                Not a way that is playable with menus on 100% of standalone DVD players.

Fab can do Interesting things such as Converting a BluRay Video to a DVD Video.

Could Fab Convert the Video's (VOB's) into a Different Format, then Compress that Video, then Convert that Video back into the VOB's, which would make your FULL Double Layer DVD with a Smaller File.
                                By Doing it that way, you would have LESS VOB's, and a Smaller DVD.
                                I am not sure this would be effective in terms of the time required vs. benefits. DL DVD blanks are fairly cheap.

Could Fab, do that ???

Fab Could have a Separate Section for People who wanted to use it, to keep their menues etc, and have more control of the Size of their Double Layer DVD.

What do you Think Of My Idea's ???
                                Only time will tell, there are always many new features in the works.

Comment

Working...
                                X