No reencoding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No reencoding?

When ripping a BD to your harddisk, I noticed, that you can't remove unwanted parts (trailors, extras, languages) without being forced to reencode the entire stuff.
    Why? Why do I have to waste a lot of time and do a reencode if the only thing I want to do, is to remove some unwanted stuff (but keeping the menu)?
    Is there a reason for this or did I miss something?
    If it's not yet possible, this would be a very nice - time and quality saving - feature.

Hans

You could do just the main movie and pick the subs and soundtracks wanted in copy or if you really need the menu you could do this in creator.If ripping to a different format use a pass through codex in ripper so as to not re-encode the video or audio if wanted but no menu.
    Last edited by 3dman7; 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

If you want some but not all bonus content you should try Customize mode. It will preserve the original menu if you select it and still eliminate the content you don't want. Note that if you are storing on a HDD with DVDFab set to BD-50, there is no re-encode, just copying. Some of the junk that is part of the menu system (nag screens etc.) will be included if you keep the main menu. See the capture:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 CUSTOMIZE_BD.png Views:	1 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	340230

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I see, as the tool shows a messge with "reencoding", I was a little confused. But indeed, it just copies without reencoding.
        Nevertheless there's a glitch. If you remove trailers / warnings etc. that run before the movie starts or the menu shows up, you have to go through the "replacement" (dummy video) that was created instead of the removed stuff.
        If a trailer takes e.g. 2 min, you get a 2 min "black" dummy video instead you have to pass. That saves space - of course - but doesn't improve the handling of getting rid off annoying stuff.

Would it be possible to replace the unwanted videos by a dummy of infinite short duration (like 0.1 sec)? This should solve this issue.

Thanks in advance!
        Hans

Comment

Hi Hans,
          The DVD version works the way you want with PathPlayer enabled (see the capture), but note that it is hidden in Common Settings, not where it should be IMHO but at least still available. Unfortunately there is nothing similar for Blu-ray.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 DVDJMP.png Views:	1 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	340256

The 'Jump to first menu...' works very well except for the odd disc that has a "pre-menu" with a language choice or one of the Disney Fast Play menus (not sure if they still have those). The 'Remove annoying PGCs' is not really needed if either 'Jump to...' is selected. These also work in Full Disc copy mode.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yeah, but -as you mentioned - this is DVD, nit BD. :-(

Comment

Sorry, perhaps it can be added at some future point. An alternative might be the DVDFab Menu Generator which is available in BD Customize mode on the Advanced Settings page. Looks nothing like the original menus but will allow you to select the content you have chosen to copy..You can see it in the capture in post #3 ('Custom' menu type).

Comment

Sorry for asking again, just to make sure I understood correctly.
                When the tool removes unwanted stuff, it replaces the original video with a "black" video file (nothing to see) of the same length, Right?
                If instead, you'd replace this with a "black" m2ts file of < 1 sec duration, there would be no real need for a direct jump to the menu as it would pass very quickly.
                You said, this is not possible or did I understand this wrong?

Comment

It works as you describe for most BDs, but not for DVDs. In some cases you may see a black screen while the player churns through java code or searches for the next to be played content, in which case the amount of time it is black is not related to the duration of the removed content, it is just coincidence. I do not believe an automatic "universal" solution is available for original BD menus due to the ways they are handled, but it may be possible. Fengtao or one of the developers would have to say for sure. I will send them a link to your thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X