Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need your help! Stop Internet Censorship!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Admin We need your help! Stop Internet Censorship!

We are asking everyone to send Kaspersky Internet Security an email, requesting that DVDFab's website pages be removed from the "illegal software" list, which blocks Fab's content when Parental Controls are enabled. Even in today's world where Fair Use and personal liberty are on the endangered species list, it is still not illegal to read things on the internet. The laws about what software is legal and what is not vary the world over, and it is foolish to block material that is not offensive and perfectly legal to own and use in most places. A short note reminding them about these facts and asking for the ban to be lifted is all that is needed. Thank you for assisting us in this way.

You can contact them here: http://support.kasperskyamericas.com...rt-open-ticket using the form or live chat. Just write a short note in the text box near the bottom of the support ticket form. Thanks!
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Agree with you completely here in Australia their has been a big uproar about internet censorship luckily the Aussie citizens made enough noise to stop it for now

Comment

I agree with You absolutely!
      I wrote to Kaspersky immidiately I read this.
      If You want to receive a ticket numer I sent (if I will receive it)
      and all the text I sent - I can send You it via PM.
      .:: Best Regards - Artur ::.

Comment

Will do, pard
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks to one and all, the more the better. I also filed a support ticket and all I got was an email with a bunch of cut and paste from their FAQs. Hopefully a real human will read these sooner or later.

There are more serious threats to a free internet by governments and regulators in many parts of the world. We may tackle some of these in the days ahead.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The same situation in my inbox - autoreply with instructions "how to unlock"
            Website... :/ Text in this mail is longer than normal answer, so I think, that
            it is only "intuitive" auto-reply from Kaspersky.

PS - In Poland and many European countries people are eligible to make legal
            copy of their discs, so I do not understand this problem - made by Kaspersky :/
            .:: Best Regards - Artur ::.

Comment

Count me in. I just submitted a ticket myself, and am waiting for a reply.

It is my legal right to make a back up copy of each disk that I purchased, and by God, I will stand up to all those implying directly or indirectly that DVDFab is illegal!!! Ba***rds!

Comment

Thanks again for the support from everyone so far.

Comment

Filled out my support ticket this morning when I read this post. I wish the "fair use" laws would be ammended to legally allow backing up PURCHASED copyright material.
                  I just don't see anything wrong with protecting you investment as long as you're not selling or sharing it.
                  I don't know for sure not being a legal expert but I would almost bet loaning an original purchased movie is illegal, of course there's no way the studios could prove it, all you would have to say is "it was a gift".

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
                    Filled out my support ticket this morning when I read this post. I wish the "fair use" laws would be ammended to legally allow backing up PURCHASED copyright material.
                    I just don't see anything wrong with protecting you investment as long as you're not selling or sharing it.
                    I don't know for sure not being a legal expert but I would almost bet loaning an original purchased movie is illegal, of course there's no way the studios could prove it, all you would have to say is "it was a gift".
                    IANAL but the "fair use" boundaries in the US are fuzzy. Most copyright experts would tell you that making a copy of your purchased item falls squarely under fair use. However, the purchased copy is your proof that you own a legal copy. If you sell, lend, or lose the original then the copies are no longer covered. This is why those companies that edit the good parts out of movies would send you the original and the modified version when rented.

However, DVDFab in probably being flagged because they think it violates the DMCA anti-circumvention clauses. You as an individual can circumvent the copy protection but making software available to others that circumvents those protections is not allowed unless it is one of the exempted items (i.e. phone jailbreak).

I also wonder if DVDFab was flagged along with dvdfabnet or something similar that is cheating people. Last I checked, DVDFab had many domains and maybe the guys at Kaspersky just flagged anything similarly named offering similar items.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post

I also wonder if DVDFab was flagged along with dvdfabnet or something similar that is cheating people. Last I checked, DVDFab had many domains and maybe the guys at Kaspersky just flagged anything similarly named offering similar items.
                      You know, you bring up an interesting point. You could be right, but then again, even if this really is the case; it would be Kaspersky's fault because as we know, it's all about small things/details that make the Internet and computers function properly.

A classic example: whitehouse is the official US government web site, but only if it has a .com attached to it, not if it has a .net or a .org attached to it.
                      It truly amazes me that many people who work in the IT security field (who knows, maybe some of them are employed by Kaspersky Lab)don't know this.

Hopefully they didn't block anything that contains dvdfab just because there are some dishonest people out there associating themselves with that name.

Comment

A friend of mine almost got mixed up with .NET and .COM. It prompted me to e-mail the .NET host. The response?

Hello,

We will await valid complaints from the owners of the content in question, thank you.

Regards,
                        Adam D.
                        Network Security Administrator

1-866-96-GATOR (42867)

Comment

i hear ya

this is what I told them,
                          "why are you blocking dfab.com and calling it illegal software.
                          that is not true. a lot of things can be used in an illegal manner but that dont make the product illegal.
                          guns are legal,shooting someone is not.computers are legal,
                          but if i hacked a goverment website i would go to jail.
                          hum!, maybe we should make computers illegal so that dont happen.
                          Oh, but then you would be out of business."

Comment

i sent the email today ... looking for a kaspesky answer ...

Comment

"We need your help! Stop Internet Censorship!"

...very ironic coming from this website.
                              Last edited by crackinhedz; 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM. Reason: deserved deletion...my other posts did not. Again, ironic? me deleting my own post that deserved it, when others did not.

Comment

Working...
                              X