This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is PathPlayer?

I've seen several responses posted that recommend disabling PathPlayer. Exactly what does that program do? My DVDFab program had it enabled. I changed it to only open if needed but I have no idea what it is for.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by kenlynne; 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM.

As the name suggests it is the artificial intelligence built into the program that selects the playable path on the DVD from the other stuff studios put on there to foil copy programs.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Read this..........

Comment

We recommend the default setting:
        Always Enable PathPlayer
        On the somewhat rare occasion when the disc fails to be read properly, then disable PP for that particular disc (generally an older flick).

The setting "Enable PathPlayer when necessary" has been problematic in the past for some which is why we don't recommend it.
        Btw, this was once the default setting...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Long time user, Lifetime member, On the question of Pathplayer, having the choice of enable when necessary has been a problem, then why the choice ? I personally have never had a problem with it. mine has always been on the selection of when necessary, and I only change it when there seems to be a problem and that seems to only happen when a new DVD comes out with something new on it.. But DVDfab is one of the Best Software on the market and has the Best Support teams out there.. Thanks for everything the you all do !!

Comment

The "when necessary" option is there because, when PathPlayer was first introduced, it caused a substantial increase in the time required to analyze and open a disc, but was still needed for many titles. Improvements since then have reduced the scan time, but the three options have remained. It is now needed for almost all discs, hence the recommendation (and default setting) to leave it Always Enabled. It also must be enabled to use the disc navigation options (jump to menu or movie) and to make sure the titles are displayed in playback order.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you Signals for that explanation, So I will start to use the enabled mode...

Comment

PathPlayer

Further to the PathPlayer issue -

Just recently I've had problems with two older discs, one just today in fact, that appeared to have only two very small files on the dvd. A total of about 13mb.. for the life of me I couldn't figure it out! wound up using old DVD Decrypter to make backup's.
                Reading this thread I went back and disabled PathPlayer and lo and behold there was the full disc showing up. So it just goes to show it sometimes pays to read through some threads, it can kickstart the brain and make a difference..
                Hope this helps others..

Cordless

Comment

This problem with older discs is a temporary bug that will be corrected. You will have fewer problems overall if you leave PathPlayer in the "Always Enable" mode and change it only when necessary for testing.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    This problem with older discs is a temporary bug that will be corrected. You will have fewer problems overall if you leave PathPlayer in the "Always Enable" mode and change it only when necessary for testing.
                    Signals, I cannot say that I hold much faith in the above statement.

This has been occurring since Pathplayer was introduced and I cannot see it changing.

I hope that you prove me wrong.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Does this setting have to be on when ripping? or is it specific to copy?

Comment

Set it to "Always enable PathPlayer" and leave it.
                        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

It is specific to DVDs, it operates in Copy and Ripper. As 90312 advised, turn it on and leave it on for optimum performance.

This is an old thread which contains dated information and will be closed. If you have additional questions, please start a new thread (topic) in this or another appropriate forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X