Requirements for CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Requirements for CUDA

Does DVDFab work with single precision GPUs such as 9800gtx?

Why isn't CUDA selected by default? On a system with 9800gtx (single precision gpu) I see "software" selected for H.264, CV1 and MPEG2 and "software+CUDA" for decode even though the following CUDA options are available:

The same problem on a GTX570 system - clicking on "Default" sets up software only.

I went and selected CUDA for all 3 decode options: H.264, CV1 and MPEG2. I assume that is necessary in order to use CUDA's advanced capability. Is that correct?

Currently, when DVDFab.exe starts up, BOINC automatically stops all CUDA projects. I did this on purpose as I did not know if DVDFab required exclusive use of the GPU's processor. Can DVDFab co-exist with other applications that use CUDA including itself?

I have "Allow Running Multiple Images" checked. Can CUDA be used if two titles are being processed at the the same time and both need CUDA encoding/decoding?

I processed the same BluRay title on two different systems. One had a pair: GTX570 & GTX280 and the other just one 9800GTX. The one with the double precision boards decoded using CUDA for %70 compression. The system with the singles precision 9800gtx used turbo cpu for decoding also for %70. Both systems has "software + CUDA" for enabled for decoding. Should not they have both used CUDA?

Is there a FAQ or WIKI for identifying and setting up the CUDA requirements on DVDFab.

best regards
    Last edited by BeemerBiker; 04-30-2011, 02:10 AM.

There are no hard and fast rules for this as so much depends on your system and how it is configured. I doubt you will see good results sharing GPU resources while transcoding as it is very intensive, particularly if you have the GPU set for decode and encode. Software decode is the default and produces somewhat better results at somewhat slower speeds. If you have a weak GPU like my GTS 230 and a quad core i7 there is little penalty for using software only (it is actually faster with some content and encode settings).

There is no "Software+CUDA" setting for DEcoding as far as I know, just for ENcoding. There have been some problems with the Qt Beta versions remembering (or changing) the settings in A/V Codec, so double check to make sure they are set the way you want before clicking Start. This may have been fixed in v8.0.8.9 Beta, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
    X