No announcement yet.

AMD APP not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a fast CPU you'll probably get a bigger boost out of lightning recording than the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
      If you have a fast CPU you'll probably get a bigger boost out of lightning recording than the GPU.
      This has been my experience and I think is generally true for i7 quad cores and low end or older (pre-400 series) nvidia cards.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I recently upgraded from nvidia gts 250 to amd HD 6870 as it was recommended for Vegas 11 video editing software. The fact that it supported open GL was a step in the right direction IMHO. I have been through the whole process of upgrading drivers / downloading codec packs etc to make the most out of the GPU acceleration.

The first thing I tried was the AMD video Converter and found it to be absolute crap > quick YES > quality = rubbish. This leads me to believe that the codec pack itself is the culprit here.

Next I have messed about with settings for DVD Fab and had a similar result to yours ie using the AMD APP I saw no acceleration with the AMD monitor.

If using this setting relies on the installed AMD codec pack then I can see no benefit in using it, as mentioned previously, I think it is very ordinary.

The settings I am trying at the moment are[LIST=1][*]Video Converter CPU turbo ON[*]DXVA GPU acceleration selected[*]Video bitrate = same as source[*]Audio Bitrate = same as source

I have found that turning on CPU Turbo resulted in the processing time dropping from 4 hrs to just under 1 hour.
        DXVA acceleration was registering around 30% - 40% on AMD monitor. (bit hard to gauge an average value as it swings from 0 - 70)

What I hope to achieve is the best quality in the shortest time > quality being number 1.

My system specs are[LIST=1][*]i5 750 Lynnfield clocked to 3.6[*]Win 7 64bit Pro[*]12 gig Ram[*]Gigabyte O/C HD 6870 VIDEO CARD

Any advice or comments are very welcome
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi people, can you share your movie compression % and the time it took to encode using Dvdfab?

I am using a gt 220 and enabled software+cuda encoding. Disabled lightening recoding.

The movie is phantom menace and compressing at 73%. My time is 13 hours and counting. 0.87mb/s.

I tried running the compression with lightening recoding enabled. The time was drastically short: 2hr50 min. But i get the dreaded video stutter.

Running windos 7. Cpu E7500 Core2Duo, and Dvdfab 8.1.6.0.

Comment

ATI stream don't work i open a thread some time ago..

Comment

I'm still pretty new to DVDFab but I have a Radeon HD6950 2GB card and am using just the product BluRay Copy so far. I was wondering if AMD APP was supposed to help much in that. I've tried it a bunch of different ways both with GPU acceleration and without to be honest I don't see much of a difference either way.
              Honestly I think lightning recoding was the fastest for me.
              BTW I can't edit my sig yet since this is my first day posting but my system is as follows: AMD Phenom II X4 970be, Asus Sabertooth 990fx(latest bios), Sapphire 6950 2GB ref. card unlocked with Catalyst 12.2 preview drivers(also the latest) and I just downloaded the media codec package from the AMD site yesterday so I'm pretty sure those are up to date as well. I did have the latest DVDFab 8.1.6.3, I think it was, yesterday but copying BD was taking twice as long as before so I reinstalled 8.1.5.9 that I still had in my download folder.

Comment

BD Copy does just that Copies.
                No file conversion or GPU use, just the file system and the removal of the copy protects.

This is to the best of my knowledge.

When using 8.1.6.3 if you have Blue-Ray Copy - Encoding Settings - Slow Speed/High Quality selected it will take a long time. Fengtao listed this in the changes for one of the 8.1.6.* version updates.

Edit Sorry this was on version 8.1.5.6 so your .5.9 should be the same I would think.
                Last edited by Hooded; 02-20-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Yeah I had fast speed setting set. I was wondering about the encode thing, i didn't really see where GPU would help on that. I figured HDD write speed if anything.

Comment

GPU acceleration "should" help with both decoding and encoding and you can use it with BD Copy for decrypting and compressing.

Having said this, GPU acceleration is a work-in-progress.
                    Many users benefit, some marginally, and others have nothing but problems.

Personally and it's just my opinion, I believe Lightning-recoding causes more trouble than it's worth.
                    But hey, if it's working for you then that's cool.

I can't speak to AMD as my experience is with an intel core i7
                    and nvidia build.

I don't see much benefit with simple decryption.
                    My AV Codec settings are all set for Software only.
                    I get perfect rips with a BD in about 30-40 minutes.

However, I realize a 20-30% faster encoding time with CUDA + software.
                    This is very useful for me with mkv conversions and I generally reduce my file size by 40-50% with no discernible loss of quality when viewed on a 42" HDTV.

The earlier versions of Fab that offered GPU acceleration seem to actually work better, ie., bigger time gains...but again, this is just my opinion.

Initially, I would encourage trying various settings and lots of experimentation. Write to your hdd(s) or rw media until you find your sweet spot.

Just keep in mind, your mileage may vary.
                    Lightning-recoding
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                    X