Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab 9 problems with Windows XP

Speaking of the free trial versions...

In my experience 9.0.6.3 was the last version which works OK with Windows XP. Although 9.0.7.2 installs without apparent errors, it will not run. Then the latest 9.1.0.5 causes an exception during the installation. Although it apparently installs the files OK into C:\Program Files, it will not run - causes same exception message (see graphic).

In comparison 9.1.0.5 installs and works OK on my Windows 7 computer.

So I'm wondering why the difference?

Could it be a new "unstated" .NET requirement started circa version 9.0.7.2...? I only have .NET 2.0 installed on my Windows XP machine.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Microsoft will cease support on XP next April, probably most software vendors will too.

It's time to move on....

Comment

I read elsewhere that DVDFab plans to continue support for XP for awhile, at least, and believe they would like to fix this problem. Whatever clues we can provide might help...

Comment

Even so, XP is on it's last legs. Might be wise to do that upgrade....

Comment

One clue would be to run "dxdiag" click the display tab and post a screen shot.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
            One clue would be to run "dxdiag" click the display tab and post a screen shot.
            Done...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Eddie13; 11-15-2013, 12:20 AM. Reason: trying to post graphics despite sluggish server...

Comment

That's the system tab, let's look at the "Display" tab.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Both graphics were/are there, long waits to get the server to respond...

Comment

All the DirectX features are disabled, see if you can get them enabled and it might make a difference.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                    All the DirectX features are disabled, see if you can get them enabled and it might make a difference.
                    Why do you say they're disabled?
                    They appear to be enabled to me!
                    Here's the Display tab after running the tests...
                    Attached Files

Comment

You're right I was looking at the wrong column. I guess the API to decode the graphics is not supported by DirectX9.0c or your graphics It's a problem I had with XP on a laptop. I installed Windows 7 and all is well.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Installing Windows 7 is not an option on this XP machine. I have a Windows 7 computer where DVDFab 9.1.0.5 works fine, but would like to get it working on the XP machine too...as would *many* other people, based on reading about this problem here and elsewhere!?

Comment

Yeah I'm sure. Like Marty I'm afraid software developers will start to migrate away from XP because of its April end of life. It happened to Windows 2000 much to my dismay. If you are locked in to XP you'll just have to hold out as long as possible. You must have some necessary software that won't run under W7, I've never run across a system that wouldn't upgrade.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Do you think it might be a NVidia driver problem? I also tossed out the notion of .NET because I only have 2.0 installed. I don't have MS Silverlight on this XP machine either. Can anyone rule those out as causes?

For fairly certain, as reported by quite a few different XP users independently, DVDFab 9.0.6.3 was the last version to work OK. Later versions won't run or produce error messages.

So *something* must have been changed in the DVDFab code to cause it. What? Still a mystery...

Comment

Another possibility comes to mind... Later processors have more commands available. One possibility is SSE, which I believe describes my Windows XP processor command set. However I know that my Windows 7 computer processor will accept up to SSE4.2 commands. So if SSE4.2 commands were included in the coding of DVDFab versions after 9.0.6.3, they would probably not work on most older processors, such as are in most XP machines.

I updated my NVidia display driver to the latest recommended version (Feb 26 2013 driver 307.83) which didn't help, same exception when DVDFab 9.1.0.5 is installed on Windows XP SP3. It appeared to complete most of the installation but the exception happened before it could ask that computer be restarted. I restarted manually which didn't help, still won't run, same exception message. There is no associated log file.

I couldn't print a screen picture of the following exception info (wouldn't copy) so transcribed part of it below. It along with the attached 2b06_appcompatibility.txt file were to be sent to MS with the error report (not sent). I don't claim to understand it but maybe it will help your tech department troubleshooters.

Error signature
                              AppName: dvdfab.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.5 ModName: qt5gui.dll
                              ModVer: 5.1.0.0 Offset: 00001010

Exception Information:
                              Code: 0xc000001d Flags: 0x00000000
                              Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000038f1010

System Information
                              Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600
                              CP Vendor Code: 68747541 - 69746E65 - 444D4163
                              CPU Version: 00000681 CPU Feature Code: 0383FBFF
                              CPU AMD Feature Code: C1C3FBFF

Module 1
                              DVDFab.exe
                              Image Base: 0x00400000 Image Size: 0x00000000
                              Checksum: 0x00ca9c80 Time Stamp: 0x528331dc
                              Version Information
                              Signature: feef04bd
                              StrucVer: 00010000
                              FileVer: (9.1:0.5)
                              ProdVer: (9.1:0.5)
                              FlagMask: 00000017
                              Flags: 00000000
                              FileType: 00000001
                              SubType: 00000000
                              FileDate: 00000000:00000000

Module 2
                              ntdll.dll

..........etc.............
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Eddie13; 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X