DVD drive issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware DVD drive issue

I have isolated this issue to the dvd drive itself, or at least I think I have. A number of movies I have ripped recently are skipping all over the place. I tried ripping them with both dvdfab and anydvd to no avail; they still skip.

I then started watching the dvd's before I ripped them, they still skip. I have four dvd drives: a laptop drive, an external blu-ray drive, and internal computer dvd drive, a sony blu-ray player for the tv. The only one that will play these two movies without skipping is the sony blu-ray player on the tv.

Two Movies so far having this issue:
    Planes
    Monsters University

If this isn't enough info, I can give more stats on the drives or anything else wanted, just hoping this is something really simple.

With all the drives that are skipping, you would need to try to things.....

First and foremost, make sure the drive is clean. Use a fresh can of compressed air to blow out the drive as good as possible, then use a drive cleaner disk to clean the lens.

If this doesn't stop the skipping, then the next step is to check the firmware revision of your drives. When you open DVDFab, in the upper right corner, the left icon which looks like a down arrow, select this then click on "Common Settings."

After this make sure that in the top row you have "Drives" selected and then on the left side you'll want the same "Drives" selected again.

The window will show any DVD and/or Blue Ray drives including Virtual drives installed on your system. It'll also show you the Firmware version of your drives and the serial number of your drives.

You can go here to check for any newer Firmware for your drives
    Firmware HQ - http://www.firmwarehq.com/

Could possibly be defective disks too.

But yeah, I ran into some skipping with Monsters University too. Yet I had the DVD and I was very careful to make sure everything was clean with no scratches or anything. There was no visible jumps in the video at all. The skips were in the audio only.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with a new type of protection maybe where they are deliberately trying to discourage people from making their own backups and instead start to try to force people to rely on such services as Vudu, UltraViolet and other such services where they can trace the copy should someone upload it to a P2P site or to a newsgroup or other such distribution site.

Then again, that's pure speculation as we all know the MPAA would love nothing better than to do something like that.

Comment

i would try a dvd laser lens cleaner first and see if that does any good. second - what blank media are you using??

Comment

If the disks are good and not scratched up and clean then,

The audio skipping and video is copy protection or overlapping frames in the audio and a problem when their are 2 or more ssif files in a 3d disk.

Both problems are cured by remuxing the Iso using a free program tsmuxer.The link for the program is not working right now but here it is http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539 Both these movies and recent Disney and Pixtar movies will need to be run through the tsmuxer until Fab can find a cure for this.

Rip store brought disk using Fab use clone/burn to make a 3d 50 gig iso output to hard drive this makes a 3d clone of disk (exact copy minus copy protection)

Use DVDFab > Blu-ray Copy > Main Movie to identify the main movie's title number (needed for tsMuxeR) or use bd info. for same data.Copy this down it's the title number Fab picks or bd info picks to make a main movie.Close Fab.

Mount 3d ISO to virtual drive now open tsMuxeR click add then find and click on the virtual drive you mounted the iso movie in now select BVMV and it's files open select play list now you need the play list number you identified with main movie or bd info. click on that file and it loads into tsmuxer the proper whole main movie loads in tsmuxer.Set the tsmuxer output to blu ray iso

Deselect unwanted tracks now look at top bar on tsmuxer change to blu ray theirs a box on the right to (add first mpls file) this is the file number you identified with main movie or bd info. put this number in that box and start muxing.

When done you will have a new iso on desktop that will have solved the overlapping frames in the audio tracks and the ssif files will be combined to one big file making the new 50 gig iso able to play on any device without problems.

Use this ISO to do any shrinking to 25 gigs or converting with Fab.
        Last edited by glenns; 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

User says they are DVDs, not BD.

Sounds more like bad blanks or bad (too fast) burning to me, especially if the problem appears near the end of the movie or near the middle if it is DL media. Not much info to go on here.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            User says they are DVDs, not BD.
            Yea, was gonna mention this thanks. Tried to edit post to make more clear, but can't find edit functionality?

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Sounds more like bad blanks or bad (too fast) burning to me, especially if the problem appears near the end of the movie or near the middle if it is DL media. Not much info to go on here.
            Not burning anything (stick dvd in computer drive, load powerdvd, starts skipping), unless you are talking about the disc that I bought.

In response to glenns and others, I will clean out the drives, and look at whether there firmware is up to date. However, given these two movies are skipping at the exact same place on the movie, it leads me to think that its firmware or some interface issue, more than a cleaning issue. It acts as if the sony blu-ray player has an updated codec to read the discs, and the old codec is miss reading some parts and skipping.

In response to glenns about the tsmuxer, first off it appears doom9 is down. I've used that site for 10+ years, its not down permantely is it that would suck. Also, it sounds like you may have hit on something with the tsmuxer especially since your saying its on a number of dvd's from disney & pixar.

However, if you are correct about the tsmuxer, shouldn't it play in powerdvd or vlc directly from the drive (no ripping), just fine ? Cause right now, I put "planes" in any drive, and vlc and powerdvd both skip. Its only the player on the sony bluray player that is able to play it fine.

Edit: Just tried playing it on my new computer (I use my old computers for ripping). It played just fine on powerdvd on the new computer, leaning heavily now towards firmware of the older drives. Will try that and update. Never had this issue before really surprising.
            Last edited by booradlly; 01-29-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Just got back from shopping......

These days, I don't use disks unless I specifically need them as I back up all my disks directly to hard drive. Using DVD Copy. Then if I need to play the movie on my Roku (for use elsewhere) I just use DVD Ripper and using what's on hard drive, I convert it to .MKV

Signals....

The skips are throughout the disk, not just in any one point. But no matter how many times you try Copying the disk, the skips are always in the same spots. From what I've seen, they appear to be audio only as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 View Post
                Just got back from shopping......

These days, I don't use disks unless I specifically need them as I back up all my disks directly to hard drive. Using DVD Copy.
                Yeah, I do the same.

Update, all of my drives appear to have the up to date firmware (from 2008 or earlier, i.e. they are no longer being updated). I have taken out the drive that was in my new laptop (the one that plays planes with no skips), and am putting that in my old ripping computer. Have to wait for a sata slimline adaptor to get here I just ordered so I can connect it. Will update.
                Last edited by booradlly; 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Lets stop guessing here please post the internal log so we can see if their are read errors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by booradlly View Post
                    Yeah, I do the same.

Update, all of my drives appear to have the up to date firmware (from 2008 or earlier, i.e. they are no longer being updated). I have taken out the drive that was in my new laptop (the one that plays planes with no skips), and am putting that in my old ripping computer. Have to wait for a sata slimline adaptor to get here I just ordered so I can connect it. Will update.
                    Ok, this just became a dvdfab issue, and therefore I have logs to upload. Should I create another thread in the appropriate forum (dvdcopy)? Or can the thread be moved?

My notes say I played "planes" on powerdvd on my ripping computer and it skipped, however I just played it again to be sure, and it works. I checked on VLC and it still doesn't work. This lines up the issue on VLC, DVDFab, and AnyDVD. All of these three products have the skipping issue. I'll be trying the tsmuxer thing next, after I upload logs, after the question above is answered.

Comment

Logs should always be posted first with any Fab problem it saves time and tells us a lot.Post them here if you want the mods can decide later what they want to do as far as moving the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                        Logs should always be posted first with any Fab problem it saves time and tells us a lot.Post them here if you want the mods can decide later what they want to do as far as moving the whole thing.
                        I don't see the point of ever posting a dvdfab problem WITHOUT posting logs. Why would anyone do that?

This wasn't a Fab problem, it now is, so I will be posting logs. I'm confused by your post immensely, unless you are just stating the obvious, which is just weird.

I'll be posting logs later tonight.

Comment

In your 1st post you said you ripped with fab.Depending on your Fab settings and the condition of the media in the drive you could of picked up read error's or other error's in the rip to the hard drive and you posted in the Fab forum even though you posted it in general questions.

If you ripped the disk with Fab the log file will tell a lot of things.You should not be confused by my post that a log file is requested.Many people don't put up log files and only post the problem this happens almost everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                            In your 1st post you said you ripped with fab.Depending on your Fab settings and the condition of the media in the drive you could of picked up read error's or other error's in the rip to the hard drive and you posted in the Fab forum even though you posted it in general questions.

If you ripped the disk with Fab the log file will tell a lot of things.You should not be confused by my post that a log file is requested.Many people don't put up log files and only post the problem this happens almost everyday.
                            I think you need to reread my first post.

The minute it became a dvdfab issue I stated I would post logs, and then you respond "you should post logs". So are you just stating the obvious or what ?

Logs are still incoming, my computer is misbehaving.

Comment

Sorry, I was away doing other thing this evening.

For me, I ripped Monsters University a couple of weeks ago and I no longer have the logs from back then. I just didn't give it any thought at the time as I was thinking it might have been a bad disk.

But seeing that others are coming across this same skipping, I'm thinking that I probably should have kept those logs (hindsight 20/20) unfortunately.

booradlly

If you are having problems with your system, try doing a full scan with Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (bootable from USB or DVD) with the heuristics set to high. This will detect anything including rootkits on your system and it can remove them. You can run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware after it's done to check for anything it might possibly have missed if anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X