X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License/Key DVD and Blu-ray Licence Issue

Hi,
    This is gonna sound stupid but ...
    I recently took up the offer to merge my 3 separate copy, rip & convert lifetime to an All-In-One lifetime. (I really recommend anyone to 'not dip a toe in the water' and go the whole hog to buy the All-In-One first off)
    I do most of my work on a fairly powerful workstation but it doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive.
    I have a lap top with a Blu-Ray ...
    Under the old DVD copy you could copy DVD's to DVD9 without a licence
    Can you still ? Can you do the same with Blu-Ray's
    What I want to do is copy the Blu-Ray, transfer it to my workstation, then continue processing.
    (Also, this way I could do copying from one PC and ripping from another, using GBE to transfer )
    Is this permitted or will it bomb out after 30 days or so ?
    Thanks In advance
    Mutt
    Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Mutt, you can install on your desktop and laptop, just don't run Fab on both at the same time. This has always been allowed but don't risk getting your license blacklisted by running both at the same time.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks 90312 for the prompt reply.
      Okay, so there is a way for extreme circumstances, but ....
      What about running the DVD copy without a licence ? Just for DVD9 ?
      Is there a similar thing for Blu-Ray ? (I've never heard of Blu-Ray9, but then I've done ALL of my work so far with DVD ???)
      Mutt

Comment

Good question, I don't know about BR in the free decrypter
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

BD decryption in HD Decrypter is severely limited and not really very useful.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Okay, so when I NEED 'Blu-Ray Copy' I 'probably' will have to use my 'All-In-One' registration details.
            But for general DVD copying I just need an Unregistered DVD9 Copy and then squirt the files over the network to the machine running the ripping ?
            The question is, how do I easily 'deregister' the laptop so I don't get blacklisted ?
            Should I just try to 'activate' using an unregistered email address ?
            I do appreciate you prompt responses, as I don't consider the above particularly urgent, but thanks anyway
            Mutt

Comment

Mutt
              Do as 90312 suggested and put the AIO license on both machines, it will be fine. The free version often does not contain updates to remove protection from recent DVDs and would probably prove to be a headache. Also suggest that you not try to transport a DVDFab Source in real time over the network, Copy the full source file to the second machine before starting the rip process. You can't activate with an unregistered email address.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals, (Edited)
                Yeah, copying to hard disc before transferring sounds sensible, from DVD it tops out at about 12MB/s but 'local' (Movie from HD) copy is usually at about 55MB/s (Processor Limit) where as I can transfer across to my NAS at about 70MB/s (sustained, HD Limit) (it can hit 114MB/s at copy start, probably from buffering) I could do some tests to see how it comes out but copying direct to the NAS could save me time overall (especially if I run the copy movie or rip from there too)

My concern is that :- as at the moment I am Copying a lot of DVD discs (frequent attendance at PC) but the major time consumer (but infrequent attendance, as I queue 12 jobs (why does it fall over at 13 or 14 ?)) is the ripping at the workstation. So I'd like to Copy from one PC and rip on the other PC at the same time (even if you ignore the transfer times as 'once the pipe is full ....' ) but as 90312 points out, that's running the same licence concurrently on 2 machines. And a probable blacklisting awaits
                This would be obviated if I could just run an unregistered copy for DVD9 (then I'd deal with the exceptional Blu-Ray by activating full AIO, then de-register again, back to grunt mode)
                The HD-Decrypter (never used and not likely to either) must be actually registered against an email address even if it's a different one each time ???
                Can't that be my way in ?
                Sorry that this is taking up so much of your time
                Mutt
                Last edited by Muttley.Drat; 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM. Reason: Wrong speeds quoted

Comment

Sorry, just checked (had long rip running previously so couldn't myself) the HD Decrypter is not against a user, it just says free edition

Comment

That is correct, it is the "free" version. Both at once technically violates the rules, but they are very forgiving. I think it would work and we will stick up for you if a problem comes up.

Comment

I didn't realize that you could swap between, say, a desktop and a laptop as long as your only using one of them at any one time.
                      My copy is installed on my desktop where it's always been, I've often wondered if I could get away with using it on my laptop when I travel. Is this possible or is it tied to the ip address where it was original installation happened.

Comment

It should be fine, as I said they are very forgiving and I think you will find two PCs non-simultaneously is no problem.

Comment

OK, thanks signals

Comment

What is the take for virtual machines?

I have a set of files that won't be converted correctly with a version above 9.1.7.7 beta, which I currently run from a virtual machine.

They are small SD files, so I tended to launch the conversion regardless of whether another conversion was running on the host.

Comment

Probably OK. Is the VM running on the same mobo as the other version of DVDFab? Attach the MediaInfo output for one of these files, should work with later versions--if not it needs to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X