h.265 encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance h.265 encoding

Which is the best way to increase speed of dvdfab for h.265 encoding on my pc?

My current configuration is:
    3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i3-4150
    Board: Z97-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) 1.0
    16330 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (DDR3-2400)
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series [Display adapter]
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
    windows 10 fast preview 14379

Which of the following options would best increase my encoding time?

option1: Upgrading to skylake processor with h.265 encoding support. This would also require new motherboard and memory (ddr4). More costly option.

option2: Upgrading graphics card to Amd radeon RX480 with support for h.265 encoding and 8G memory. Cost about $240.
    Fake16

Nvidia gtx 960 $200+/-
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

But does the gtx 960 outperform the new amd rx 480 specifically under dvdfab. Concerned about CUDA support. Perhaps Nvidia still has a performance advantage.

Thanks for the response. Wonder what administration has to say.
      Last edited by fake16; 07-04-2016, 10:02 PM.
      Fake16

Comment

But does the gtx 960 outperform the new amd rx 480 specifically under dvdfab. Concerned about CUDA support. Perhaps Nvidia still has a performance advantage.

At least for gaming the best bang for buck is the rx 480 which roughly performs the same as the NVidia gtx 970 (which costs more). Very little encoding testing out there for h.265. Perhaps if I were to upgrade my I3 to an I7 with more cores? Would DVDfab perform better?

also: what kind of response of performance should I see with gtx 960? 2x or less?

Thanks for the response. Wonder what administration has to say.
        Last edited by fake16; 07-04-2016, 10:51 PM.
        Fake16

Comment

The 960 will decode H.265 on the GPU witch will be important when BR discs start using the codec. DVDFab uses CUDA very nicely. My GTX 980 will encode a BR to H.265 in less than 10 minutes. I never got my AMD card to work with Fab at all.

Albert Einstein

Comment

This might give you an idea on CUDA performance with DVDFab. This is done with a 980 card but if the 960 is any slower it won't be significant. Note the CPU is loafing at around 20% the lion's share of the work on the GPU.
            Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              The 960 will decode H.265 on the GPU witch will be important when BR discs start using the codec.
              Manufactured Blu-ray discs will never use the H.265 codec, as it will be a violation of the Blu-ray specs. The main issue are all of the Blu-ray players that would not be able to play said discs. Only UHD media will use H.265 with the new players.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVideo View Post
                Manufactured Blu-ray discs will never use the H.265 codec, as it will be a violation of the Blu-ray specs. The main issue are all of the Blu-ray players that would not be able to play said discs. Only UHD media will use H.265 with the new players.
                You may be correct but I still have a perfectly good HD DVD player gathering dust that makes me skeptical that the industry won't change to suit their own ends.

Albert Einstein

Comment

The 960 will decode H.265 on the GPU witch will be important when BR discs start using the codec. DVDFab uses CUDA very nicely. My GTX 980 will encode a BR to H.265 in less than 10 minutes. I never got my AMD card to work with Fab at all.

On my amd (msi) R9 380 it takes over 10 hrs to convert 2 hours of mt2s files via software settings only for card. DXVA for decoding h.264 works fine on this card but my I3 processor seemed to do just fine before I added the card.

The new amd RX 480 for gaming gives about the same performance as the gtx 970 for less cost. Supposedly the gtx 980 gives about %17 performance increase over the gtx 970. Amazon costs: RX 380 4GB $230 8GB $300
                  GTX 970 4GB $300 8GB $550
                  Last edited by fake16; 07-05-2016, 09:20 PM. Reason: prices
                  Fake16

Comment

I can't advise you strongly enough to use nvidia instead of AMD for GPU tasks within DVDFab. Read the threads in the Ripper forum.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      I can't advise you strongly enough to use nvidia instead of AMD for GPU tasks within DVDFab. Read the threads in the Ripper forum.
                      Thank you. I suspected as much but wanted verifiable info....thx for providing it. Stilll would like to know h.265 encoding performance information on how amd h.265 cards evaluates with dvdfab. Knowing how dvdfab performs vs some tool as handbrake on h.265 encoding GPU's could be a strong selling point. Converting to handheld devices such as cellphones would be very comforting in the market. Strictly compliant with drm of course.
                      Fake16

Comment

You may be correct but I still have a perfectly good HD DVD player gathering dust that makes me skeptical that the industry won't change to suit their own ends.
                        I never took the plunge until the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war came to an end.

Like I said, Blu-ray specs will never change to include H.265. That was done with the new Ultra-HD Blu-ray spec and players, which now play all media (except HD-DVD) from CDs thru UHD.

One thing that is sadly missing is UHD-3D. Due to lack of space on the media, it was never included in the specs. That's not to say that UHD-3D won't arrive in the future, requiring new UHD players, just like Blu-ray 3D did. It is a never ending circle.

Comment

This has veered off the thread topic.
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

All,
                            Please see the update to Hardware acceleration in DVDFab here: http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=29569

Comment

Working...
                            X