List of maximum attachment sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other List of maximum attachment sizes

I would like to know the maximum size that can be posted without the forum software resizing the attachment.
    That way I can resize an image to the correct size before I upload it.
    I hope this will result in a readable image when I post one.

The maximum image size is 700x500, the file size limit varies by type, and there is also a per user limit for maximum image storage. Do not use bmp or low-compression jpg. Do not post images if they are not essential to your report, it slows down the forum processing and also is a burden for members with slow internet connections (moderators may remove them). For best results, 1) crop the image to the minimum size necessary and save it as a jpg or png file type and 2) use the Insert Image button (#2 below) in the Advanced Editor (#1 below) rather than the Upload Attachments button (#3 below), which should be used for attaching logs or other text. We do not generally encourage image posting but they can be useful in some cases. Do not link to offsite image hosts, it makes for an incomplete forum record for future users if the images are not maintained or are removed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 EDITOR.png Views:	1 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	344625

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I will use the "Image" button for this now.
      I had been using the "Upload Attachments" button as that was the instruction I had previously read.

I now understand the maximum image size is 700x500 .

I would still like a list of file size limits.
      for example .jpg size limit 400KB
      I have posted on forums where the size limits were in the upload window.
      For image files & other formats such as .PDF or .ZIP .
      I would help me and other members to have a list available.
      For me a "Sticky" would probably be enough if adding this information to the uploading window is too much to program.

The image you posted shows to be 495 x 149 with a 10.2kB file size.
      My image software doesn't usually create files that small.
      What image software did you use to create the .PNG file ?

I didn't post it but I tried to use an image sized to 700x500.
      The forum software resized it to 286x204 .
      The quality was blurry and not readable like the image you posted.
      Last edited by cholla; 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

The image I posted is a png file made with the lowly MS Paint cropped from a 1920x1080 desktop capture. If your images that size are much larger, you must be using high quality jpgs, which the forum does not tolerate well, even if we allowed large image files. Check the settings on whatever you are using. Lower quality jpgs are fine, but will look a little blurry in some cases (but this is not an art gallery). Zip or rar files are sometimes needed for long logs but I'm not sure why anyone would ever need to attach a pdf or doc file, but they are allowed. I remind everyone again that there is a hard limit for total attachments of around 10 MB.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have that the maximum image size allowed is 700x500.
          The list I would like to have is the "file size limit" for each type file allowed to be attached or posted in the forum.
          Also the size for each type that triggers the forum software to resize the file.
          In theory those would be the same file size but I don't believe that is what is now is.

This thread might lead to a discussion of other things about posting images and other files .

This is the list from the videohelp forum for the allowed file sizes there for an example.
          This is not to say that the DVDFab forum needs to do the same .
          It is to show part of the information I would like to know.
          I want to note that in the post there they are a smaller size but when clicked they become the actual full size .
          That way they can be read if they could when posted.
          Upload files/Manage attachments

Allowed file formats and max file size:

3gp 500.00 MB
          asf 500.00 MB
          bmp 500.00 MB
          dv 500.00 MB
          jpeg 500.00 MB
          m2ts 500.00 MB
          mkv 500.00 MB
          mp4 500.00 MB
          msi 500.00 MB
          png 500.00 MB
          sub 500.00 MB
          wav 500.00 MB
          wmv 500.00 MB
          7z 500.00 MB
          avi 500.00 MB
          dmg 500.00 MB
          flac 500.00 MB
          jpg 500.00 MB
          m2v 500.00 MB
          mov 500.00 MB
          mpa 500.00 MB
          mts 500.00 MB
          psd 500.00 MB
          ts 500.00 MB
          webm 500.00 MB
          xml 500.00 MB
          aac 500.00 MB
          avs 500.00 MB
          doc 500.00 MB
          flv 500.00 MB
          log 500.00 MB
          m4a 500.00 MB
          mp2 500.00 MB
          mpg 500.00 MB
          ogm 500.00 MB
          rar 500.00 MB
          txt 500.00 MB
          webp 500.00 MB
          zip 500.00 MB
          ac3 500.00 MB
          avsi 500.00 MB
          dts 500.00 MB
          gif 500.00 MB
          m2t 500.00 MB
          mka 500.00 MB
          mp3 500.00 MB
          mpv 500.00 MB
          pdf 500.00 MB
          srt 500.00 MB
          vob 500.00 MB
          wma 500.00 MB

Comment

This image was made with MS Paint the resolution size that the one signals posted.
            It is 13.6kB in the post but was 14.2kB on my computer.
            I don't know why the forum software resized this one .

The image signals posted made with MS Paint is 10.2kB but is sharper and appears to be better quality .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum.png
Views:	200
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	344667
            I don't know why the icons are in a different location but my guess is a browser difference.

Comment

My desktop is 1920x1080 and my image was cropped from that, yours looks magnified or zoomed a little and slightly stretched vertically but is OK for what we do. Was it saved as a png? What they do at videohelp is not really relevant here, different purposes and goals for the forums. Some of the icons in my version of the editor are staff only and they will reposition slightly if you change the size of the browser's window.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                My desktop is 1920x1080 and my image was cropped from that
                That is the size I also get with a screen capture & paste into MS Paint.

yours looks magnified or zoomed a little and slightly stretched vertically but is OK for what we do.
                The image I posted was cropped to the same size as the image you posted.Then I pasted that into MS Paint and saved as a .png.

Was it saved as a png?
                Yes

What they do at videohelp is not really relevant here, different purposes and goals for the forums.
                The list from videohelp is an example of the type information I'm asking for.
                Not a suggestion to use the same sizes.
                A list with the file type with the maximum file size beside it.
                For example:
                Allowed file formats and max file size:
                .JPG = 100kB
                .PNG = 120kB
                .JPEG = 20kB
                and so forth .
                Then a list of the size of the file types where the forum software is set to resize a file type.
                For example .PNG set to resize any .PNG file larger than 25.kB

That's the best I can explain this.
                What I want to do is be able to have a file at a size below where the forum software resizes the file.
                I will do this with my image software.
                I can only do this if I have the information.

Comment

I don't see the point in providing such a list other than to encourage everyone to post images at or just under the maximum for each file type, not a good practice and it is not necessary. Just paste the entire desktop capture into Paint and use the Select tool to choose the image borders you want, then click on Crop. You can check the cropped size using the Resize tool, and use it to get below 700x500 if necessary; better to do it here than let the forum try to do it. Then Save As png or jpg. Avoid jpeg and bmp. These simple steps will make it look great when posted and be below the maximum. Ya bastante, no mas. Let it go, there will be no list.

Comment

The point for me is to do the size myself instead of letting the forum do it.
                    Not to do the largest size possible.
                    I did try in this post using the largest size:
                    Hi, I'm trying the player, however subtitles of all kinds are not being displayed - embedded in MKV or BD ISO or external *.srt fie on the subtitles settings,

Look at the post below it by 90312 #22 .
                    His image is some smaller than the max at 557x398 .
                    It is also 130.5kB a size larger than the forum will allow me to post without resizing.
                    The image I posted is 700x500 but is also 18.9kB.
                    I'm certain you can tell the quality difference.

What I will do is figure it out as best as I can with trial and error.
                    I haven't seen one image I've posted that even looks good much less "great" .
                    The image I did in MS Paint and posted in this thread was created by the steps you posted.
                    As you saw it didn't come out as sharp as the image you posted.
                    My usual image goto is Ifranview but I have others.

BTW I speak very little Spanish .
                    You might find the Mexican I speak a little of a bit too colorful to post.

Comment

I did some testing with a .PNG sized some smaller than the 700x500 .
                      The reason for the smaller resolution was the keep it from triggering the forum resize function for resolution size.
                      I then changed the quality of this .PNG until I found the maximum file size it would load without triggering the forum resize function base on file size.
                      For a .PNG file this was 134kB for me .
                      In doing this I found that the 77kB .PNG looked at least good and could be read.
                      So I won't need to use the maximum size most of the time.

The lifetime total of 10 MB seems low but I can post approximately 130 .PNG files at 77kB.
                      That will take me a while.
                      If I ever hit that level then I will contact DVDFab administration to see if that can be changed for my account.
                      No need to do that now as I doubt I will be at that level any time soon.

Right now my profile under Media states I have 18 photos posted but I only actually see 5 .
                      The rest of the spaces are blank.
                      At 5 images posted in 6 years as a forum member that should take me another 25 years to hit the 130 level .
                      I doubt I will live that long.

Comment

I don't get all this picture crap in the old forum there were no limits screen shots worked all the time and were readable their were no per person limits if their were no one reached them.Why all the trouble here same forum software just a updated version.Posting a readable photo is very important seems we paid for this forum in profits from the software lets just go back to the old forum software and not have these limits the old forum rocks this one sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith View Post
                          I don't get all this picture crap
                          I decided I would have to live with the way the new version of the forum software has been set up.
                          That is my reason for starting this thread. To allow me (and other members) to be able to do this better.
                          What I have a hard time understanding is the reluctance to provide simple information that would allow this.
                          Why file size limits are a secret I don't understand . But that is the answer I got.

Originally posted by Faith View Post
                          we paid for this forum in profits from the software.
                          I hadn't considered that but you make a good point.
                          This forum would not exist if DVDFab software hadn't made sales of their software.
                          Is still selling software . I would assume making a profit.
                          Although some customers use the free versions and occasionally register to post.
                          I believe most forum members are using paid software.
                          Even if they purchased a lifetime license a long time ago.

Overall DVDFab has treated me well.
                          It's probably best I don't post about all of that .
                          I'm not sure DVDFab ever admitted a connection with TDMore.
                          I actually won a contest from TDMore .
                          So if it was owned by DVDFab I got some money back.

Comment

Working...
                          X