Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Any Way to Repair Damaged Files Without the Need to Reprocess Anew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There Any Way to Repair Damaged Files Without the Need to Reprocess Anew?

Over time, I discovered that some of my video files created under the pre-DVDFab 8 system are defective due to missing tiny elements in the file. Although, I am still able to view the movies from my PC by going directly to the “Stream” folder, none of my media players is able to play the damaged ones. Is there any way that I can rehabilitate such damaged files without the need to re-process entirely anew? I would appreciate any suggestions to solve my problem.

Is there any uniformed package to supplant all the supporting sub-files except the “Stream” file so that a media player can open the file?

In the meantime, I have switched to the ISO file system which turns to be more damage free than the file system.

Hello,

To repair the Blu-ray folder/ISO, you can give BDFix a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD Fix.png
Views:	259
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	349306

Regards,
    mona

Comment

Originally posted by childer View Post
      ...................In the meantime, I have switched to the ISO file system which turns to be more damage free than the file system.
      This is not necessarily true, in fact using an ISO (except for Clone mode) requires an extra step that can induce errors.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
        Hello,

To repair the Blu-ray folder/ISO, you can give BDFix a try.

mona
        Hi, mona,

Many thanks for your suggestion, but how do I get the BDFix?
        Last edited by childer; 02-09-2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Hi, mona,

Many thanks for your suggestion, but how do I get the BDFix?
          Hello Childer,

It is in the DVDFab 10 installer. Start up DVDFab 10, go to Utilities and choose BDFix in the dropdown menu, it will bring up the BDFix window. You can refer to the picture I posted in the previous post for info.

Regards,
          mona

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Hello Childer,

... go to Utilities and choose BDFix in the dropdown menu, it will bring up the BDFix window...
            Regards,
            mona
            Many many thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              This is not necessarily true, in fact using an ISO (except for Clone mode) requires an extra step that can induce errors.
              My experience is different. About 50% of my file system movies are corrupt somewhere in the sub-files, while all my ISO files are intact. It is likely that my hp servers must have treated the ISO movies as single, complete and independent units each, while treating the file-movies as component units in danger of missing sub-files.

It is more than a pain to realize that the digitized convenience could someday harm you with a permanent loss.

Comment

I have about 26TB of Blu-rays and DVDs stored as folders without a failure. I think the key is to put them on the storage drive not directly from DVDFab but transfer the Fab output Target folder using cut and paste in Windows explorer. The long-term storage drives have maybe one or two fragmented files each but play without problems. You are 100% correct about digital convenience turning into inconvenience in a hurry.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  I have about 26TB of Blu-rays and DVDs stored as folders without a failure. I think the key is to put them on the storage drive not directly from DVDFab but transfer the Fab output Target folder using cut and paste in Windows explorer. The long-term storage drives have maybe one or two fragmented files each but play without problems. You are 100% correct about digital convenience turning into inconvenience in a hurry.
                  Before my movie files were corrupted, I also had about 25TBs of them. I would like to re-establish them, if I can restore my courage. You have been blessed tremendously.
                  I am thinking to switch from HP servers to Asus ones, using the new 10TB hard drives. May I ask what storage system(s) and what kinds of hard drives you have been using to store your digital creations without any such unfortunate loss? I have been using hp media servers and WD/Seagate hard drives to store my digitized files. But, every now and then, some of my files are corrupted. But, recently, it is like a digital massacre, leaving me only 60% watchable. I would truly appreciate your ideas and experience so that I can avoid being digitally slaughtered again. Many thanks, again...

Comment

My system is a not so sophisticated one which I began using several years ago. I purchased a USB dock for internal hard drives and began buying 3.5" hard drives whenever they were on sale. Most of the early ones are 1-2TB WD Black or Seagate Barricudas, more recently larger ones as the prices have come down. I have attached a Defraggler scan of one from about 3 years ago which is typical. DVDFab is set up to write folders to an internal drive, which I then transfer to the long-term storage drive as described above. I realize there are improved ways to do this now, but this has worked pretty well for me. Defragging a drive with lots of multi-GB m2ts files is truly a fools errand. DVDfab's BD-Fix utility is useful primarily for volumes that were not properly decrypted initially, I don't think it would be useful for corrupted files. Sympathies for the failures you suffered!
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 FRAGS.png Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	349517

Comment

I have similar hard drives. After further research with hp, I have discovered that my hp media servers must be the primary culprit, because they spread out all my digital files among the 8 hard drives in each of my two servers in order to "balance" the systems daily. Then, it is likely that any minor malfunction, no mater how transitory or temporary it might be, in one of the hard drives must have contributed to the corruptions every now and then. I may have to forgo the servers and use your method. I will let you know if I can come up with a good solution for my networking storage--I am a lazy person, sorry.

Thank you very much, again...

Comment

You are certainly welcome. Please come back and share any improvements you devise. I think you are correct that the load balancing the servers are doing is the last thing you would want happening with huge ISO video files. If it is user-defeatable, I would suggest trying it with it turned off. Think of all the unnecessary head seeks and r/w cycles! MTBF hours are finite!

Comment

For what it's worth, I have been using Synology NAS since 2012, and I haven't had any troubles with them as of yet. (Knock on Wood) They seem to be very stable, they will sleep the drives when not in use, etc. I use Western Digital Red drives in them. As long as you do the monthly Raid and File System scrubbing, you shouldn't have any problems sneak up on you. I have had a few HD drives fail on me, I just hot-swap them, tell it to rebuild the raid and then go on like nothing happened. I currently have around 80 TB of storage. I hear QNAP has a nice network storage solution as well. And the DVDFab Media Server should connect them without any troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkore View Post
                            ...As long as you do the monthly Raid and File System scrubbing, you shouldn't have any problems sneak up on you. ...
                            You have rekindled my hope to store my digitized movies, using network servers. However, it is a major undertaking anew for me.
                            Can you educate me about the concept and process of "Raid" and "File System scrubbing"? I will follow your instructions religiously to avoid the digital massacre I have suffered.

Thank you again for giving me another new hope.

Comment

"Raid" and "File System scrubbing"?.
                              I am not anywhere near an expert in this field, but these are the terms that the company Synology uses for their network servers. I have my raid set up with a 1 drive fault tolerance so if any single drive fails I can replace that drive and rebuild the raid without any data corruption. The scrubbing is a utility that comes with the Synology NAS servers to verify that the raid and the file system are still functioning properly. This helps protect you against any hardware corruptions.

If the corruption is caused by software, viruses, etc. the only way to protect yourself against that is BACKUP :-)

Please note, none of this will restore data that is already corrupt it only helps prevent corruption.

Comment

Working...
                              X