Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unable to get mkv videos to pass through.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to get mkv videos to pass through.

Hi,
    I have been trying to get DVDFab UHD Creator to pass an .mkv file through so i can make a full quality UHD blu ray of my video project. I have tried this with many different .mkv files and in all cases the program tells me it is an unsupported file type and asks if I want to switch to processing mode. Of course I want to use passthrough mode to retain the full quality of my production.
    I have two 4K UHD video projects. The first is about 45 minutes long and is in Adobe Premier Pro. The second one is 7 minutes long and is in DaVinci Resolve. It is HDR-10.
    DaVinci Resolve cannot directly produce .mkv files as far as I can tell, and it doesn't add the required HDR metadata to trigger HDR playback in a TV. So for my resolve files I put the file through Hybrid, both to change the wrapper to .mkv, and to embed the HDR metadata. I have been passing the .mov from Resolve through Hybrid, to produce the .mkv file I am trying to pass through DVDFab UHD creator. I have tried both H264 and H265. DVDFab does not recognize these files.
    Premier Pro also does not directly produce .mkv files. This project is not HDR, so I use Hybrid in its passthrough mode to change containers from .mp4 to .mkv. DVDFab also does not recognize these files either. I have also tried using both H264 and H265. All these 4K projects are of course, 3840 X 2160, at 29.97. I am using AAC audio. The bit rate is set lower by default in Resolve.
    What am I doing wrong ? How can I get my files to pass through DVDFab ?

If I understand correctly what you are attempting, I believe you are using the wrong module to achieve your goals. DVDFab UHD Creator produces only output with a 4K UHD BDMV disc-like structure, not mkv files. Try using the Video Converter module instead.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

You Misunderstand. I AM trying to make full quality 4K UHD Blu Ray disks. This is my goal. DVDFab UHD Creator has two modes. These are process, and pass through. I have succesfully made a 4K UHD Blu Ray disk using process mode. But in this mode the video is processed and so there is significant quality loss. What I am trying to do is use pass through mode so my video is not processed, and I retain full quality. According to UHD Creator itself, it can use pass through mode with two file types only, .mkv and .m2ks. Of course Adobe Premier Pro and DaVinci Resolve do not export directly into .mkv or .m2ks files. My understanding its that these are just packages and the video inside is the same. So if I produce a H265 HEVC video in .mov, .mp4 or most other formats, the video is the same and only the package is different. Since UHD Creator uses only these two file types for a pass through disk, I have been using the program Hybrid in its pass through mode, to change packages from .mov or .mp4, to .mkv. I have also produced some .m2ks files this way. In all cases UHD creator does not accept my files and tells me they are an unrecognized type. It then suggests I use process mode. So my question is, why is UHD Creator failing to pass my .mkv files ? How can I get my files to pass through ?

Comment

When i first open UHD Creator I am presented with a UI that has a box in the middle and a "+" in the box. Above the box it says "Clcik on the + button to load a file". I click on the "+" and browse to my .mkv file. I load the file, which takes only a few seconds. Then i am presented with the message "DVDFab: ? OOps? Unsupported video file(s) detected ! The Passthrough processing mode of UHD Creator only supports MKV/M2TS HDR/Dolby Vision video files". Would you like to switch to conversion mode ?"
        Why does it not accept my .mkv files ?

Comment

Hi
          1. Please download MediaInfo (free) at https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download, and use this software to analyze the mp4/ mov file produced by Adobe Premier Pro and DaVinci Resolve, then send us the analyzed files;
          2. Do you use Hybrid to convert the mp4/ mov to MKV? Please send us the media info of this output MKV file as well;
          3. If it is not a standard hdr10, it is not compatile with UHD, so it will be converted to hdr 10 or sdr. What is the format of your HDR?
          4. If possible, please upload a small sample file from both Adobe Premier Pro and DaVinci Resolve. I sent you a PM about how to upload the file.

Comment

Hi,
            Do you mean for me to download the JavaScript Module DLL V. 18.12 at the bottom of that page ? It's going to run in Windows 10 ?
            I do use Hybrid to convert the two file types into .mkv
            For the .mp4 file from Premier I use passthrough mode in Hybrid to change the container only. For the .mov from Resolve I use processing mode in Hybrid to both change the container, and to embed the HDR metadata so the file will play in HDR.
            Let me know if I'm looking at the right download and I can start gathering and sending the requested data.

Comment

FYI, here are my settings for Adobe Premier Pro. .mp4, 3840 X 2106 29.97 FPS, VBR 1 Pass Target 20 MBPS, Max 25 MBPS, AAC audio, 320 kbps, 48 khz. Stereo, Progressive, H265 HEVC, Render at Maximum Depth, Use Maximum Render Quality.
              This project is currently just under 29 minutes long and it takes just under 6 days to render on computer A. The .mp4 file is 4,323,572 kb.

Here are the settings I use for DaVinci Resolve. .mov, Quicktime, H.265, 3840 X 2160 Ultra HD, 29.97, AAC Audio, 192 kbps, 16 bit, main 1, Stereo.
              This project is HDR 10. It is just over 6 minutes long, takes only a few minutes to render on Computer C. The .mov file is 862,144 kb. After passing it through Hybrid, the new .mkv file is 168,129 kb.
              The Hybrid processed file with HDR 10 metadata looks almost as good as the unprocessed file, but it does lose some quality. Resolve will probably be able to embed the metadata by the end of the year and then I will not need to process the file in Hybrid.

All three of these files play well on computer C from the hard drive. The Hybrid processed .mov file, now an .mkv, and the .mp4 directly from Premier, and the .mkv file created by Hybrid in pass through mode from the premier file, all play well from an external hard drive connected to my 4K HDR OLED TV via a USB port.

Comment

Today i created four files. They are small samples of my work. Two are from Premier and two are from Resolve. I spent the afternoon trying to FTP them as instructed. But I kept losing the connection and the uploads were constantly disrupted. The connection times out. Eventually it says there have been too many connections from my address and stops accepting connections. Our internet quality is not so good here, especially after a lot of rain. Fortunately after a short wait I am able to reconnect and continue the upload. I was able to upload nearly 25% of the smallest of the four files. I will continue this tomorrow. Perhaps the connection will be better tomorrow as it didn't rain for the last two days.

Comment

Hello, I reply in this thread because I have the exact same problem as the user Crash Landing.
                  If you think I should open a new thred let me know, thanks.
                  I state that I have the last version of the software, at the moment only in trial. If a can make it work, then I'll buy it.
                  I want to use the passthrough mode in DVDFab UHD Creator, converting an MKV file in UHD Blu-Ray ISO (full quality, BD-100).
                  I tested 6 (six) mkv file and none of these is supported by the program for the passthrough mode (it asks if I want to switch to processing mode).
                  The mkv files was obtained from muxing UHD blu-ray video with regular blu-ray ac3 audio track (my language), everything is regularly purchased.
                  The mkv files works great on PC and also streamed on Samsung UHD TV. I can produce txt files, if you would, of the mediainfo analisys.
                  Let me know,
                  thanks in advance.
                  Michele

Comment

Please delete the body of the last message as it has private e-mail addresses in it.

Comment

I deleted it, edit and post again.
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Landing View Post
                        Hi,
                        Do you mean for me to download the JavaScript Module DLL V. 18.12 at the bottom of that page ? It's going to run in Windows 10 ?
                        I do use Hybrid to convert the two file types into .mkv
                        For the .mp4 file from Premier I use passthrough mode in Hybrid to change the container only. For the .mov from Resolve I use processing mode in Hybrid to both change the container, and to embed the HDR metadata so the file will play in HDR.
                        Let me know if I'm looking at the right download and I can start gathering and sending the requested data.
                        Hi, please visit https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows to download Media Info which will suit for your computer. See attached.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Landing View Post
                          Today i created four files. They are small samples of my work. Two are from Premier and two are from Resolve. I spent the afternoon trying to FTP them as instructed. But I kept losing the connection and the uploads were constantly disrupted. The connection times out. Eventually it says there have been too many connections from my address and stops accepting connections. Our internet quality is not so good here, especially after a lot of rain. Fortunately after a short wait I am able to reconnect and continue the upload. I was able to upload nearly 25% of the smallest of the four files. I will continue this tomorrow. Perhaps the connection will be better tomorrow as it didn't rain for the last two days.
                          Ok. Once the upload is complete, please let me know, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MicheleM79 View Post
                            Hello, I reply in this thread because I have the exact same problem as the user Crash Landing.
                            If you think I should open a new thred let me know, thanks.
                            I state that I have the last version of the software, at the moment only in trial. If a can make it work, then I'll buy it.
                            I want to use the passthrough mode in DVDFab UHD Creator, converting an MKV file in UHD Blu-Ray ISO (full quality, BD-100).
                            I tested 6 (six) mkv file and none of these is supported by the program for the passthrough mode (it asks if I want to switch to processing mode).
                            The mkv files was obtained from muxing UHD blu-ray video with regular blu-ray ac3 audio track (my language), everything is regularly purchased.
                            The mkv files works great on PC and also streamed on Samsung UHD TV. I can produce txt files, if you would, of the mediainfo analisys.
                            Let me know,
                            thanks in advance.
                            Michele
                            Thank you. We got your feedback. Please send us one of the MKV files and the dvdfab_internal log, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post

Thank you. We got your feedback. Please send us one of the MKV files and the dvdfab_internal log, thanks.
                              Thanks to you. I cut a 5 minutes sample from one of my UHD MKV (not touched anything, it's only a portion) and I've tested it in DVDFab to make sure it gives the same behaviour.
                              I've uploaded this MKV sample on FTP based on your instructions (my name and mail address), along with the log file from the program (dvdfab_internal log).
                              I also attached the log file in this message, along with the complete mediainfo analysis export file.

Hope you can solve,
                              Thanks in advance
                              Michele
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by MicheleM79; 04-18-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X