Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance DVDFab Geekit Crashing

Hi there,

First of all, has the Geekit solution been abandoned? It hasn't been updated since forever.

Secondly, I tried it again with Alita Battle Angel 3D to do the SSIF output and the "Same As Source" quality settings. After about 3 hours of encoding Geekit gets to 100% and just sits there. The time remaining sits at 0 and the fps gradually drops to 0 and nothing. There's no "finished" message. When trying to close the program it's not responding. I even ran it again a second time as a test, leaving it through the night and when checked in the morning the result was the same. The m2ts files are present in the output folder but not the SSIF file and when playing back the bass eye the film freezes half way through.

I can't help but feel frustrated as I never had problems with other DVDFab tools and got Geekit MVC because I love the idea of tweaking my 3D films in other software and then being able to build them from left/right eye into a playable MVC structure. Sadly every time I use Geekit it doesn't work. First with Ready Player One a while back and now with Alita. It would be great if you guys could fix it but I'm really starting to lose faith and feel like I've wasted my money at this point.

Please supply the DVDFab logs for the incomplete session.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Where can I find the log file for DVDFab Geekit? I looked in its install folder and there are no log files anywhere. Within the software itself there doesn't appear to be an option to send a log either. I'm running Win 7 Home 64bit and the Geekit version is 1.0.0.4

Regards.

Comment

Hello again,

I did a few more tests with Geekit MVC Encoder and it appears that no matter what I do version 1.0.0.4 will crash before completing the task. The 2 screenshots below I took specifically in a span of time so you can see that the software just sits there at 100% doing nothing.

When reached 100% you can see on the clock it's 9:28:07 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	GeekitCrashScreen1.PNG
Views:	257
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	376919

I took another screenshot at 11:04:17 PM and Geekit still sits at 100% and there's no completed message. Please note that on both screenshots the Fps is 0, Time left is 0 and Time elapsed is exactly 03:21:25 which clearly shows the software is not doing anything.

Name:	GeekitCrashScreen2.PNG
Views:	246
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	376917

When clicking cancel Geekit asks to confirm and then a window pops up saying that it is not responding.

Name:	GeekitCrashScreen3.PNG
Views:	253
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	376915
        For the input files I tried a few different tests but the end result is always the same. For the first test I input left/right eyes compressed by Ripbot264 and made into MKV by mkvmerge v38.0.0. The left eye with chapters only. For test two I used mkvmerge v38.0.0 to add an audio file thinking that perhaps Geekit doesn't like if there isn't at least one audio stream. Finally, I ran the left/right eye encodes through DVDFab Video Converter using the MKV pass-through profile rationalizing that maybe there's something in the MKV created by mkvmerge that Geekit doesn't like but sadly that also made no difference. I'm attaching a screenshot of the meta info that shows the MKV has in fact been created by DVDFab.

Name:	InputFilesMetaInfoScreen4.PNG
Views:	249
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	376920

I really hope that you can fix this problem as I really want to use the software but at the moment it's unusable. Also, if you have ideas for other tests that I could try then I'm willing to give them a shot.

Thanks in advance.
        Attached Files

Comment

By a complete fluke meaning a third party site I noticed that the Geekit MVC Codecs was updated to version 1.0.0.5. I went to your official page to make sure it's legit and see that it's in fact version 1.0.0.5 when clicking the download button. Yet my installed version is still 1.0.0.4 and I never received a prompt to update like with other DVDFab products. Why? Is this a bug or did you guys just get it updated? Please clarify and is there a change log? Also it would be good to keep track of the software in the forums but for some reason you guys don't have a thread for Geekit in the forums. It's like it doesn't exist.

Thanks

Comment

Hello again,

I installed the 1.0.0.5 version as I noticed that I had an older version which was the 1.0.0.4 but unfortunately still no change. The MVC encoder encodes at around 34 Fps then when it gets to 100% the Fps starts to gradually increase until it reaches 300 fps and I can see that there's some hard drive activity. After it reaches 300 Fps soon after there's no more hard drive activity and the Fps begins to drop until it reaches 0 Fps. Once it reaches 0 Fps nothing happens and the software just sits there indefinitely. I'm assuming that it's choking on the SSIF file creation because when I look in the output folder while it's supposedly running there's only the left/right m2ts files and no SSIF file but when I close out of the MVC encoder after it's not responding the SSIF file appears in the folder. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I'm running other DVDFab products on my Windows 7 Home 64bit system and MVC Geekit is the only one that I'm having trouble with.

Comment

Sorry for the problem moviefan, I have no background or other info on Geekit. The office is closed until 12 January Beijing time when the development staff will return. It is still for sale so it still “exists” and is supported at some level. The log files for other Fab products are located in the Windows Documents folder, please check in there.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi signals,

Thank you for responding. Even though I find it frustrating I have faith that the development team will be able to figure it out. I looked in the Windows Documents as you said and found the logs there, see attached log for MVC decoder and encoder.

Thank you.
                Attached Files

Comment

Excellent, that will be a head start for when they return. If you have the time, look around in Task Manager while it is running for odd activity in Processes or Resource Monitor.

Comment

Sorry about it, I have passed your post and all the information to our QA team.

Comment

I checked the task manager/processes/resource monitor and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When Geekit hangs it just shows it's running in task manager.

I ran MVC Geekit with another movie this time Ready Player One 3D and here the behavior was different. First of all when decoding the complete movie ISO the extracted left eye MKV was unplayable even though Geekit completed the process successfully. VLC couldn't open it, TsMuxer gave an unknown error, MKV merge opened it but no streams were present same with MKV Streams Extract.

For another test I ran the complete Ready Player One 3D movie ISO with DVDFab 11 to get just the main movie ISO then ran that ISO with MVC Geekit and voila both left/right eye MKVs played perfectly this time.

Next, I compressed the left eye using Ripbot and tested the encoded MKV to make sure it plays fine which it did.

I launched the MVC Encoder and fed the Ripbot endcoded left eye MKV and the original right eye MKV and started the encode. After about 2 hours and 45 minutes of processing I got a message that the process has completed successfully.

In light of this it appears that MVC Codecs behavior is different with each film. MVC Decoder worked perfectly with Alita Battle Angel 3D but froze at 100% when encoding the MVC while with Ready Player One 3D the left eye didn't decode properly but the MVC encoder completed the process successfully.

Additional note: Alita Battle Angel 3D had multi branching but Ready Player One 3D did not. For comparison purposes I'm attaching the decoder/encoder logs for your review that include the Ready Player One 3D processes .

Thanks.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X