No announcement yet.

Why Copy to .iso then Rip the .iso??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Why Copy to .iso then Rip the .iso??

Title says it all.

I'm curious as to why many of you Copy a movie to your hard drive as an .iso then Rip that .iso to your preferred format, ie .MKV.

I've heard someone mention they do it to save wear on the DVD drive. I don't quite get that since you have to read from the DVD drive either way, whether you read during the Rip or the Copy.

It also takes twice as long to get to your desired format.
    I can Rip a 2hr movie to my desired format in 11 mins, but if I Copy to my hard drive then Rip that to my desired format it takes 24 mins for the same 2hr movie.

I've been a DVDFab user for almost 10 years and never even thought to Copy then Rip. I've done this process just to see if anything was different, but don't really see a benefit.

Thoughts?

Ripper runs much much faster when the Source is a previously decrypted file on your hard drive. For fastest conversions it is better to 1) copy the Source to a folder instead of an iso and 2) read and write to different hard drives for Source and Target in Ripper. If one of them is a SSD use that one for the Target in Copy mode (to write the folder) and to be the Source drive for Ripper.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Ripper runs much much faster when the Source is a previously decrypted file on your hard drive. For fastest conversions it is better to 1) copy the Source to a folder instead of an iso and 2) read and write to different hard drives for Source and Target in Ripper. If one of them is a SSD use that one for the Target in Copy mode (to write the folder) and to be the Source drive for Ripper.
      Thanks Signals.

Is there an option in the Copy module for making a folder? I just assumed everyone was making an .iso.

I have only have a GTX1060 (stupid cryto mining).
      So I'm not sure I'll be any faster. When i ripped the .iso i was only 10fps faster than ripping from a disc.

Comment

IF nothing else, the time it takes to make the iso will be saved. To make Folder output, click on the folder logo where it says Target in the lower left.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          IF nothing else, the time it takes to make the iso will be saved. To make Folder output, click on the folder logo where it says Target in the lower left.
          I'll try this for my next movie I get.

Thanks Signals.

Comment

Just tried this using the movie Flight of the Intruder (1991).

It took me 23 mins to Rip to mkv and 25 mins just to Copy to Folder. I didn't even bother to Rip the folder to mkv.
            Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll stick with just Ripping from the disc. No need to double the time it takes to make an MKV.

Comment

Working...
            X