This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Newbiest question or more

I just got a new computer and this is the first time I've had a DVD drive, anyway I haven't inserted any dvds in because
    I know there is a drive lock, I can only change it 5 times
    and the majority of my movies are Region 4 but my TV series boxsets are in Region 1 (cuz I find it cheaper to preorder them online from the US than wait for them to come out here Down Under and they mostly cost more)
    I don't plan to burn/back them up just yet because I have no blank discs (I wouldnt know where to start on which ones to buy, I'm such a newb)
    I would like to for the meantime back them up on my drive, if that is possible I think it is, something I read about an 'image file'...?

My question is when I insert a dvd disc do I have to set the region code for my drive? And if I do, do I only have to change it once even if the disk I insert the same region? (I assume I would have to change it if I insert a different region disc)
    I've turned off disc-auto play, I only have 5 turns to change and then it locks, I'm confused but DVDFab can work in the background or bypass or something right? I just dont want my drive to lock on me, help would be appreciated, I feel so thick for not understanding the tutorials and posts in here...

Thank you in advance!

Have your drive set to R4 and Fab will bypass it all when it encounters R1 disks and Fab can remove all region protection when copying.

You will not be able to play the original R1 disks on the PC without changing the region.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      You will not be able to play the original R1 disks on the PC without changing the region.
      But if you have DVDFab Passkey you can play the original R1 DVDs on your computer without changing the DVD Drives region

Comment

Yup, until you decide on what your needs will be, I'd go with Passkey:
        DVDFab Passkey 7.0.2.1.

Essentially, it's a window's based driver which will run in the background, decrypt and will render your burner(s) "region-free" when playing or ripping discs.
        So, no worries with region locks as long as it's running.

You also may be able to flash your burner with region-free firmware, but this is not without risk.
        First off, it will void your warranty and may render your burner useless ..an expensive doorstop, if misflashed.
        The modified firmware may or may not be available for your drive and if you're not comfortble with the procedure, we do not recommend it.

Once the discs are ripped to your hdd, you can play them back with a software player....we recommend VLC, free and an outstanding gem of a player.
        It'll play anything.

Since the files will be decrypted, you can then burn them at your leisure with Imgburn, free and the best burn utility out there.

Finally, if you want to start compressing and otherwise configuring the files for burning, you'll want to look at the DVD to DVD module.
        Last edited by maineman; 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Oh my gosh thank you all! Thanks so MUCH!

now I feel a whole less scared of making a mistake
          I'll take a look at the DVDFab programs, they all seem so useful and handy and just cool but the PassKey that you suggested does look like the ideal choice for what I'm after.

I dont think I'll try the flash firmware thing because I'd probably screw it up.

Thanks again for totally making it understandable for an easily confused newb like me.

Comment

You're very welcome.
            Like anything new, all this stuff can be pretty intimidating.
            Just take your time and experiment.

If you get stuck, someone is usually around.
            Enjoy and welcome aboard
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hello !
              I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Comment

Originally posted by brendar7639 View Post
                Hello !
                I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
                Everybody are welcome here if they are respecting and following rules. You just violated the rule and hijacked somebody's thread, and as a result, got warning.
                So, next time please start your own thread or post relevant comments.
                Welcome to the Forum
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                  Everybody are welcome here if they are respecting and following rules. You just violated the rule and hijacked somebody's thread, and as a result, got warning.
                  So, next time please start your own thread or post relevant comments.
                  Welcome to the Forum
                  Actually he was a spammer that just got banned

Comment

LOL Newcomers are welcome, spammers are shot on sight.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                    X