This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware Dvd burners

I want to change from IDE to SATA, for my dvd burner! Meritline.com has a card to change from IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE, also diagram on how to Install! I went to FRY'S Electronics and spoke to one of there computer guy and he told me it would never work! I want to change because there is a bigger variety of burners to chose from and I assume with better performance! AM I right or not? and if so, is there any other issuses that I have to take into account!, as for CPU useage, battery useage, or any thing else! Your input would be greatly appreciated!

I doubt you would see much improvement in performance. The IDE interface can easily handle the data rates that are common in burning DVDs. If you get a new drive, be sure to check the specs for read and write speeds for the type of media you will be using. The read speeds for DVD-Video discs (DVDs) can vary greatly, especially for DLs. I think the Meritline adapter can probably handle the speeds OK too, but you may have a problem getting the specs on it for transfer rate.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Agree with my pal signals.
      The card will probably work, but we don't know for sure about any conflicts that may arise relative to your motherboard, adapter, drivers, etc.
      Is this just an adapter and not a PCI card, etc.,???

You'll just be utilizing a different interface whether you "convert" your old IDE interface to SATA or purchase a new SATA burner.
      Ultimately, your burner will still be controlled by the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, which is just fine btw.

If you purchase a new SATA burner you will likely gain speed, but this is simply due to the upgrade in burner performance.
      Additionally, you'll have a much broader range of burners to choose from when purchasing.

Do you have any SATA connectors on your motherboard?
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

other hardware

Thank you guys for your Inputs! I not really smart when it comes to PC's! I wouldn't know anything about the motherboard! I was trying to put off for a little while before buying a new PC! I have an old dell optiplex GX260, with a intel Pentlum 4 processor, thats really all I know!

Comment

other hardware

I think this is just an adapter, but in the Install diagram it shows where to plug into the motherboard and to the other connections!

Comment

Ok,

If you just wanting to convert your old burner to a SATA interface for no reason other than hoping for an improvement in performance, don't bother, nothing will improve and things may get worse.
            This assumes your IDE burner is working properly and has exclusive access to its current controller

If, on the other hand, you wish to purchase a new burner (SATA interface) you "may" realize a substantial improvement in performance, but again, this will be solely the result of the burner itself and not anything else.

I just took a look at the various models and motherboard components for a dell optiplex GX260.
            Save your $.
            The cost/benefit ratio is bad news.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by 8855A View Post
              I think this is just an adapter, but in the Install diagram it shows where to plug into the motherboard and to the other connections!
              Link please

Comment

other hardware

Thanks very much MAINEMAN, I think it would be to much trouble and the cost would be to much more than it's worth! I use a Plextor-870A burner and it's been the best burner I've ever used!, and if there's not that much Improvement as you stated, I'll just keep what I have! More money saved for new pc! Thank you to SIGNALS!

Comment

I'll just keep what I have! More money saved for new pc!
                  Excellent decision...

Comment

exactly this is only adapter so you can change ..whith no problems very easy and simple wen you open your pc you will see the conectors very close fron the drivers just desconect and conect.note when yor open your pc do not force find the locks..

Comment

other hardware

By the way, what do you guys mean by transfer rate, and how does that work?

Comment

Thanks Stealthrtt, but as MAINEMAN stated about the cost compare to performance, the cost would be to much and I could save for a new PC!

Comment

work good and is cheaper 10 to 15 dlls( the adapter and the drive around 40 dlls) and new pc i'm recoment a whit 8 gb of ram and 1 tb of ard drive its a spensive around 900 just the pc but you will not worry for anithing abut ,,?slow or anithing this i have......this is windows 7...nex opcion is mac its more spensive.not recoment its to much money invert for burn dvds....windows its good.

Comment

If his burner died and he had to lay out $ for a new burner, the extra $20 for the adapter might be reasonable. Then he could he could pick up the SATA burner of his choice, but this isn't the case.

His current burner works just fine. There is no big performance gain here, not on such and old rig and there's nothing wrong with old when it works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthrtt View Post
                              work good and is cheaper 10 to 15 dlls
                              Yup, here's a decent one for $11.99, + $2.99 shipping and no tax.
                              Just made it under $15...whew!...

Comment

Working...
                              X