This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic question-- could not find answer via search

Hello all.. just recently found DVDfab.. seems I have missed out on some great deals if I had learned about and bought it a few years ago!

Anyway, I've tried looking around for this answer but don't see anything straightforward. Sorry for being such a noob...

I am ONLY looking to copy our DVD's to our Tivo for convenience for the kids (and so they stop ruining the discs!) ... All I need is the DVD-to-Mobile option.

When I go to purchase it, however, and uncheck everything else, it indicates:

Note:
    DVDFab "DVD to Mobile" works with DVDFab "DVD to DVD" together. That is, you MUST have a valid DVDFab "DVD to DVD" license, which is applied to the same e-mail address. Please get the two products together. Otherwise, you can always retrieve the keys here, to make sure if you already have a valid license.
    Which I find very confusing.. Because on the home page (http://www.dvdfab.net/index.htm), "DVD-to-mobile" is listed as "Other DVDfab Products" rather than as "Add-Ons"... And on DVD-to-mobile's homepage (http://www.dvdfab.net/dvd-to-mobile.htm) it indicates the cost is $30.

So I'm really confused... can I just buy the DVD-to-Mobile like I need, or do I really need to buy both DVD-to-DVD *and* DVD-to-Mobile?

ALL I need is mail-title VOB copy... And unfortunately I'm on a very limited budget. I can do DVD-to-Mobile for $30 ... but doing both packages pushes it over $80... WAY past my budget...

thanks *soooo* much,
    ..dane

Hi Dane

It is a little confusing. DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile share much of the core DVD disc decrypting technology, so they must be purchased together if you want DVD to Mobile. They are the only two features that are linked this way. If (as you noted) all you want is to decrypt the Main Movie to a VIDEO_TS folder (DVD on hard drive), then you do not need DVD to Mobile to do that. And don't forget about the 20% discount, which will lower the cost of either or both features. If you save a store-bought disc or two, you've paid for it. We hope you will join the DVDFab user family.

Originally posted by audiodane View Post
    Hello all.. just recently found DVDfab.. seems I have missed out on some great deals if I had learned about and bought it a few years ago!

Anyway, I've tried looking around for this answer but don't see anything straightforward. Sorry for being such a noob...

I am ONLY looking to copy our DVD's to our Tivo for convenience for the kids (and so they stop ruining the discs!) ... All I need is the DVD-to-Mobile option.

When I go to purchase it, however, and uncheck everything else, it indicates:

Which I find very confusing.. Because on the home page (http://www.dvdfab.net/index.htm), "DVD-to-mobile" is listed as "Other DVDfab Products" rather than as "Add-Ons"... And on DVD-to-mobile's homepage (http://www.dvdfab.net/dvd-to-mobile.htm) it indicates the cost is $30.

So I'm really confused... can I just buy the DVD-to-Mobile like I need, or do I really need to buy both DVD-to-DVD *and* DVD-to-Mobile?

ALL I need is mail-title VOB copy... And unfortunately I'm on a very limited budget. I can do DVD-to-Mobile for $30 ... but doing both packages pushes it over $80... WAY past my budget...

thanks *soooo* much,
    ..dane
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Hi Dane

It is a little confusing. DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile share much of the core DVD disc decrypting technology, so they must be purchased together if you want DVD to Mobile. They are the only two features that are linked this way. If (as you noted) all you want is to decrypt the Main Movie to a VIDEO_TS folder (DVD on hard drive), then you do not need DVD to Mobile to do that. And don't forget about the 20% discount, which will lower the cost of either or both features. If you save a store-bought disc or two, you've paid for it. We hope you will join the DVDFab user family.
      Thanks!

So a few more followup questions just so I'm fully understanding through this thick head of mine..

1) The "freeware" portion of the application allows me to use which features? I assume DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie only. Any others?

2) Buying just the DVD-to-DVD license adds the rest of the "DVD-to-DVD" menu items (MainMovie, Split, Customize, Clone, Merge, WriteData) only. Right?

3) Using the DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie (or Main-Movie feature) I can rip a dvd disc to the hard drive (even though it's called "DVD to DVD") simply by changing the target path from a DVD Recorder to a HDD folder.. Yes?

4) Does DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie record to .VOB or .ISO?

5) Does DVD-to-DVD --> Movie-Only record to .VOB or .ISO?

6) If I buy a license, does the EULA allow me to install it on one fixed and one portable PC (the way Microsoft EULA's work) or is an installation tied to a fixed MAC address, etc?

I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been answered hundreds of times. I'm learning QUITE rapidly though! ...just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I'm not buying more (or less!) than I need.

thanks again!
      ..dane

ps.- one last question that I think caused all this confusion in the first place.. In the "DVD-to-Mobile" option there is a "VOB Passthrough" option. If the DVD-to-DVD copy mode is ripping to .VOB also, then why is there a .VOB option at all in the DVD-to-Mobile menu? .VOB (MPEG-2) is what I was after, and the Mobile option is where it's listed... Maybe that's what gave me so much confusion on what I needed to buy.. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by audiodane View Post
        Thanks!

So a few more followup questions just so I'm fully understanding through this thick head of mine..

1) The "freeware" portion of the application allows me to use which features? I assume DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie only. Any others?
        It changes from time to time and I can't test it without uninstalling my registered version. I thought Main Movie worked also.

2) Buying just the DVD-to-DVD license adds the rest of the "DVD-to-DVD" menu items (MainMovie, Split, Customize, Clone, Merge, WriteData) only. Right?
        Correct. Also Customize Split and the ISO output option, which is no longer in the free version, and integrated disc burning.

3) Using the DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie (or Main-Movie feature) I can rip a dvd disc to the hard drive (even though it's called "DVD to DVD") simply by changing the target path from a DVD Recorder to a HDD folder.. Yes?
        Yes. It's called DVD to DVD because all of the output formats are DVD-Video compliant, i.e. the files are not just MPEG-2 VOBs but contain the full DVD structure of IFO/BUP and VOB files. The ISO output option has the same structure but is a disc image suitable for direct burning.

4) Does DVD-to-DVD --> Full-Movie record to .VOB or .ISO?
        It outputs a VIDEO_TS folder or ISO file containing a disc image of the VIDEO_TS folder. The VOB files are inside (see comments above). This is Full Disc mode, which includes the main feature and all previews, extras, deleted scenes, etc.)

5) Does DVD-to-DVD --> Movie-Only record to .VOB or .ISO?
        Basically the same answer as above, with the exception that Main Movie mode processes only the main feature.

6) If I buy a license, does the EULA allow me to install it on one fixed and one portable PC (the way Microsoft EULA's work) or is an installation tied to a fixed MAC address, etc?
        Read it and decide for yourself. To my knowledge, no one has ever been prosecuted for doing what you want to do if the spirit of the EULA is followed (i.e., you would use only one installation at any given time).

I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been answered hundreds of times. I'm learning QUITE rapidly though! ...just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I'm not buying more (or less!) than I need.

thanks again!
        ..dane

ps.- one last question that I think caused all this confusion in the first place.. In the "DVD-to-Mobile" option there is a "VOB Passthrough" option. If the DVD-to-DVD copy mode is ripping to .VOB also, then why is there a .VOB option at all in the DVD-to-Mobile menu? .VOB (MPEG-2) is what I was after, and the Mobile option is where it's listed... Maybe that's what gave me so much confusion on what I needed to buy.. thanks!
        See the answers above. The DVD to DVD mode provides DVD compliant output. VOB Passthrough organizes the VOBs that will be needed for whichever title you have selected and outputs just the MPEG-2 video, stripped of DVD-like structure and features.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Sweet-ness!

I did some more testing last night. Looks like the freeware portion DOES include "MovieOnly" .. tried it last night with a couple DVDs and it worked great. One of them was a Scholastic multi-title disc and I realized there the benefit of having the "customize" feature (but mine expired while I was on vacation). I did manage to get a few other tools as a workaround, but am considering the dvd-to-dvd purchase option to allow dvdfab to create a multi-title rip in a single rip step...

Thanks SOOOOOO much for ALL of your answers to my noob questions!!
          ..dane

Comment

Working...
          X