Blu-Ray Copy shuts computer down unexpectedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray Copy shuts computer down unexpectedly

I am having trouble copying a Bu-Ray disc. I am using DVDfab 8.1.2.5 Blu-Ray Copy. My computer is an Asus B53j, 8GB memory, 320GB hard drive with 87GB free, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. The computer does a cold shutdown in the middle of the copy operation. This has happened twice. My computer is otherwise perfectly stable, it never shuts down unexpectedly.

I have attached a copy of my dvdfab_internal file which I had to edit because it is too large to upload. I hope someone can help me diagnose and fix this problem.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Geoff; 10-22-2011, 02:15 AM.

Hi Geoff
    Please try the latest version found here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=15064

Have you tried it with Lightning-Recoding disabled to see if you still have problems.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I will try what you suggested and get back with the results. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I installed the newer version and disabled lightning-recording. It shut the computer down again. I am attaching the latest log file below.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good chance this is an excessive heat issue.
          Are you using a cooling pad for your laptop?
          Better yet, any chance you could connect an external BD-ROM drive (or burner) ?
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
            I am having trouble copying a Bu-Ray disc. I am using DVDfab 8.1.2.5 Blu-Ray Copy. My computer is an Asus B53j, 8GB memory, 320GB hard drive with 87GB free, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. The computer does a cold shutdown in the middle of the copy operation. This has happened twice. My computer is otherwise perfectly stable, it never shuts down unexpectedly.

I have attached a copy of my dvdfab_internal file which I had to edit because it is too large to upload. I hope someone can help me diagnose and fix this problem.
            Try copying to the HDD first and doing your compression there!
            Last edited by DiabloZoe; 10-22-2011, 02:02 PM.
            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by DiabloZoe View Post
              Try copying to the HDD first and doing your compression there!
              Good one DZ, not sure how it missed it...
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

The LG optical drive is external. The laptop does not run hot, it is very cool, the coolest running I have ever owned. I run some very CPU and graphics intensive programs and I never have instability problems except for this one, which is repeatable.

I will try to copy the disc to hard drive to see if that helps and get back with the results.

Comment

Compressing from the HDD may actually make more heat due to the increased CPU/GPU workrate. Make sure you have the laptop connected to AC power and disable any other decrypting software you may have installed. Also, it's not clear if it does this with all content or just this disc.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, it is on AC power. I don't have any other decrypting software. It is only this disc that has done this, but I usually copy regular DVD, not Blu-Ray. I have copied Blu-Ray before without this problem, though. The only problem I had with Blu-Ray before was that it would not recognize the blank disc. Copying to HDD solved that problem.

I run graphics and CPU intensive programs that are much more demanding than this, without problems or heat issues. I have even run 3d graphics benchmarking programs that demand nearly 100% of the GPU for hours and never had a problem. This is probably the most stable computer I have ever used.

I will be able to try the copy again this evening, compressing to HDD and will post results.

Comment

Hi Geoff
                      Along with advice given from my friend DiabloZoe
                      Open Fab click the Click the Green at top right corner of the DVDFab screen, and open Common Settings > General >A/V Codec, put a check in Disable all GPU codes and make sure they are set to Software, restart Fab and try again.
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Well, writing to the HDD worked. I don't know why doing it normally makes the system shut down.

It looks like the consensus is to write to HDD for Blu-Ray copy for more than one reason. Too bad they can't fix it to work without a work around.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Comment

I still have a problem, I was premature to say I had success.

I tried to "Write Data" the 50GB folder to 25GB disc, and the computer shut down.

Then I disabled "all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding". When I tried to "Write Data" to 25GB disc, the computer shut down.

I am attaching the log file below. Hope there is a way to fix this. I just remembered that the B53J has switchable graphics. I uses an Intel GPU in battery mode. On A/C it is the ATI GPU. Anyway, it still happens when decoding and encoding are set to software.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Geoff; 10-23-2011, 04:51 AM.

Comment

You are still not doing the compression the the HDD. After writing the 50gb file you make that your source and the target will be the the HDD again.
                            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I realized after I posted that I had used the wrong term. I said "Write Data" because that is what I wanted to do, but DVDfab wouldn't let me do it to a 25GB disc. So I actually used the "Full Disc" option from the HDD folder which was 50GB to another folder with the size set to 25GB.

So I did it that way, I just used the wrong option to describe it. The computer shut down while doing the compression from one hard drive folder to another. Unless I can compress the data, I can't write to disc.

Comment

Working...
                              X