This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m2ts -> m4ts

Would it be possible to compress the m2ts streams on a Blu-ray disc to m4ts streams without loss of information? The resulting much smaller disc images might not be able to play in a standalone Blu-ray player, but software players might be able to play them.

canon1230
    would you please educate me on m4ts.... what kinda format is this... more details please
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

m2ts vs m4ts

"m2ts" can mean MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 or VC1 compressed video interwoven with audio in a transport stream (). "m4ts" is a shorthand meaning m2ts with only MPEG-4 encoding. Since MPEG-4/AVC (H.264) is the most asymmetric standard it produces the best compression. BTW this question is not about Ogg or VP8, which may be as good as or better than H.264 in various ways, but are not currently supported by most players. When and if they are, the idea extends to them too.

Comment

To be specific, you are saying you have a MPEG2 encoded BD that you want DVDFab to convert to H264 or VC-1 with as little loss as possible?

I know the BD spec allows for MPEG2, but I haven't come across one yet in my limited experience.
        Last edited by Complication; 05-23-2010, 03:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by canon1230 View Post
          "m4ts" is a shorthand meaning m2ts with only MPEG-4 encoding.
          Thank you for explanation what "m2ts" format means, I will go and impress my friend now.
          And "m4ts" is a format you came up with on your own? Can you go back to the article in Wiki you're referred to and find format that suit your OP request the best, and let us know.
          As Complication said in his post, MPEG2 is rather unlikely format for BD container, it's what DVDs are for...
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
            Do be specific, you are saying you have a MPEG2 encoded BD that you want DVDFab to convert to H264 or VC-1 with as little loss as possible?

I know the BD spec allows for MPEG2, but I haven't come across one yet in my limited experience.
            I unfortunately have quite a few. They are very slow to convert to anything. The first Blu-rays of the James Bond movies are all high bitrate MPEG-2, and there are others.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              I unfortunately have quite a few. They are very slow to convert to anything. The first Blu-rays of the James Bond movies are all high bitrate MPEG-2, and there are others.
              I spotted my typo after you quoted me.

I figured they existed but I wonder if that is what the OP is talking about. Most BDs I've seen already qualify as M4TS. Then again, there currently isn't a M2TS remux option so someone looking for this would be SOL on those titles that have the split M2TS files. I'm assuming the OP wants a single M4TS file to play on some device.

Comment

lossless asymmetric compression

There is no incentive for a studio that knows it will have 50 GB on the disc to use the asymmetric compression of MPEG-4 to its full advantage. So some of the discs are left with only MPEG-2 compression, and even those that use MPEG-4 are not compressed as well as they might be.

Comment

Working...
                X