X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with GTX260 and enabling CUDA decode/encode

Hi guys,

I can't seem to get CUDA working for both decoding and encoding. I have a GTX260 video card with 1.8GB ram. My PC is an i7-920 with 9GB Ram running Windows 7 64bit. I've looked through the forums and I can't seem to find any specific settings to get this working.

I tried turning off physics in the Nvidia control panel, I thought I was on to something but a few minutes in it failed. With physics enabled it fails in a matter of seconds. Does anyone have any suggested settings to get this working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've tried it with 7.0.9.3. and 8.0.0.5

Set encoder for software and try
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I know it works with just software but it's slower. While not the newest card I figure the GTX 260 is still a pretty powerful card which is why I'm wondering if there's a particular setting that I have to change.

Comment

what are your a/v setting?
        Windows 7 64bit ultimate
        CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
        RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
        GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
        SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
        HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
        PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Yes, it's good card and everything... It's not your hardware, it's a software problem (it was mentioned in release notes). In some cases it's CUDA decoder is a problem, in others - encoder. You do not have to set everything to "software". You should experiment. For some content use CUDA decoder and "Soft" encoder and so on. For VC-1 content both CUDA encoder and decoder should work in some modes. It's really depends on what module and profile you are using for what content.
          sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

is your video card driver updated ?
            Windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by ernielee View Post
              is your video card driver updated ?
              Yes, I just updated to the latest version to rule that out as a possibility.

Comment

what are your a/v setting?
                I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean the video card everything is at it's default. The only thing I tried was to turn physics off based on advice that I think IPopov50 had provided someone a while back ago. I didn't see a follow up post from that individual so I assummed that it would do the trick. For me anyway the only difference is that it took longer to fail.

If you mean my DVDFab settings I have CUDA enabled for video decoding and encoding. If I disable encoding it always works. If I enable encoding it basically never works. I also don't have CORE AVC installed.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                  Yes, it's good card and everything... It's not your hardware, it's a software problem (it was mentioned in release notes). In some cases it's CUDA decoder is a problem, in others - encoder. You do not have to set everything to "software". You should experiment. For some content use CUDA decoder and "Soft" encoder and so on. For VC-1 content both CUDA encoder and decoder should work in some modes. It's really depends on what module and profile you are using for what content.
                  I see, when you say it's a software problem do you mean a DVDFab software problem (i.e. there's hope it will be fixed) or is it a CUDA software problem, in which case I don't think they would bother.

Comment

Originally posted by EVT View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean the video card everything is at it's default. The only thing I tried was to turn physics off based on advice that I think IPopov50 had provided someone a while back ago. I didn't see a follow up post from that individual so I assummed that it would do the trick. For me anyway the only difference is that it took longer to fail.

If you mean my DVDFab settings I have CUDA enabled for video decoding and encoding. If I disable encoding it always works. If I enable encoding it basically never works. I also don't have CORE AVC installed.
                    try coreAVC as your H.264 video decoder let us know if that work better.
                    Windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by EVT View Post
                      I see, when you say it's a software problem do you mean a DVDFab software problem (i.e. there's hope it will be fixed) or is it a CUDA software problem, in which case I don't think they would bother.
                      It's kinda both. Bottom line is that DVDFab team started a major rebuild of the entire program - changing engine, adding functions, etc. At the same time, they adopting new nVIDIA CUDA 3.x script and official CUDA encoder. That's what generated a lot of bugs and hiccups. It will be eventually fixed, but for all of us it's a good opprtunity to experiment.
                      I still can't figure out what conversions you were trying accomplish. I have pretty much same (or similar) computer configuration, and I could share some settings, but I have no Idea what are you doing.

@maineman
                      Just letting you know that we all here sitting an waiting for your best settings.
                      Last edited by IPopov50; 08-27-2010, 06:19 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                        It's kinda both. Bottom line is that DVDFab team started a major rebuild of the entire program - changing engine, adding functions, etc. At the same time, they adopting new nVIDIA CUDA 3.x script and official CUDA encoder. That's what generated a lot of bugs and hiccups. It will be eventually fixed, but for all of us it's a good opprtunity to experiment.
                        I still can't figure out what conversions you were trying accomplish. I have pretty much same (or similar) computer configuration, and I could share some settings, but I have no Idea what are you doing.
                        I'm generally just using the blu-ray copy module to rip the movie only and compressing it to the size of a DVD9. I generally eliminate all but the core DTS or DD track and I keep all the English subtitle tracks.

I also at times compress the movie only to a BD25.

Over the last few days I've also been trying out the Blu-Ray ripper to rip the movie only with dts or ac3 to MKV but again the results have been exactly the same. It works great with just the CUDA decoder enabled and it falls flat on its face with the CUDA encoder enabled and decoder enabled.

In either case I have had the same result, with just the CUDA decoder on all options work fine, with the CUDA decoder and encoder enabled things fall apart very quickly.
                        Last edited by EVT; 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maineman
                          I have the same os, cpu, and my card is a GTX260.
                          Overall the best settings are:
                          Was there more to come?

Comment

try coreAVC as your H.264 video decoder let us know if that work better.
                            Did that make a difference in your case? If so, I guess it's worth buying as the cost is pretty low.

Comment

Pretty much the same rig here...
                              I have the same os, cpu, and my card is a GTX260.
                              I also do not have Core AVC installed.

Overall, my best settings are:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	nVidia.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	303384

As Ipopov stated, you may have to tweak here and there, but
                              I'm generally ok with these.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Driver 258.96
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X