Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very similar problem with The FDay After Tomorrow Bluray

Hello,

Having attempted to copy the bluray of The Day After Tomorrow and succeeding in doing nothing but wasting blank dual layer blurays, I found this forum post which although a different method of playing the movie is being used, it is so similar that I think I should also post my issue here.

I have attempted to copy the region B bluray of this movie using the 'Full Disc' and 'Clone' options, both resulting in an unplayable disc in my Panasonic DMP-BD65 bluray player. All I see on the tv after inserting this disc is the Bluray players menu that is shown when no disc is inserted in the drive.

I am using TDK BD-R 50gb blanks, discs I have used for other movies using 'Full Disc' and 'Clone' which have played in the same Panasonic player. As a last resort, I copied 'Main Movie' to an identical TDK BD-R 50gb and what do you know, the disc played fine.

This makes me believe that something else on the original disc, perhaps the 'Pop up menu' etc has been either mis-read or mis-written, creating an unplayable disc. If this is the case, then something within DVDFab Bluray copy needs to be fixed.

After doing much googling of this issue and find many people stating the same unplayable problem with the same movie, it seems logical that there is nothing in the settings of my DVDFab that is incorrect, but more an issue with either the read or the write within the application.

The logs within DVDFab seem to say everything worked fine with the read/write, in essence saying the application doesn't know it missed something.

For the record, I used ImgBurn and Nero Burning ROM, both separately run after copying the disc to my PCs HDD and also being run from within DVDFab when using the Bluray burner as the destination.

I will state what I am using to perform all of this, however, with so many people having issues with the same movie, I don't believe it is a hardware, application setting or operating system issue on my side.

I am using Windows 7, my bluray burner is a Matshita UJS-230 connected via USB and the DVDFab version I have is 8.0.5.0 (18/11/2010).

Settings within DVDFab are as follows:
    Bluray read - I/O mode - Auto, File Reading Mode - Internal,
    Bluray Write - Burning Engine - Imgburn (also tried Nero), Bluray write speed 2x, Writeable Media Size BD-25 - 23700, BD-50 - 43700.
    Bluray Copy - Enable Full Scan, AVCHD - Create Restrict Compatible, Encoding Settings - Slow Speed/High Quality.

Since this forum thread has been running a while and I have the latest release of DVDFab and having issues with the same movie, it would seem that perhaps something is being missed in the read/write.

Although I have a playable copy of the movie only, it isn't good enough to expect people to try every conceivable option before getting a copy to work. As far as I am concerned if the supposed 'bit for bit' perfect copy of a disc using the Clone option doesn't work, then something is a miss.

Can someone please look into this issue, not only for this movie but hopefully to fix any future issues with discs with the same functions.

Comment

Colin,

You have stated the problem extremely well and concisely.

Whether your post is understood or any action will occur is completely another subject!!!

Just noticed that you are using a MATSHITA drive and I would like to point out that all of us old heads here have found them problematic and would suggest that, in the long term, you look at replacing it.

PS: Also, there is a later version of Fab, so I suggest that you try it before you get the dreaded "Please upgrade and try it" answer.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your kind words, I have worked in the computer industry for over 25 years and understand that unless you provide all the info you possibly can you will get an unhelpful request like you suggest I might. Before posting this in the forum, I sent a help request to support and recieved a reply asking if my player and tv support the format of the disc (Pal/Ntsc). I'm thinking to myself, well if I can play the original and the copy is supposed to be a replica of the original, what would they expect my reply would be.

I have seen some other sites talking about the same disc and similar Panasonic players, so it may well be some slight inconsistency with the 2 of them.

Thanks for the info about the burner, I bought it as a Panasonic labelled drive but all the software I use identifies it as the Matshita model I listed. I don't remember whether I mentioned it or not but I have also updated the firmware of the panasonic DMP-BD65 to its latest prior to all of this, so I hope I don't get a 'update your firmware' response.

Let's see if I get any sort of helpful response, being new to DVDFab and there being a number of settings (most of which I don't think you'd ever change) I thought just maybe there's something wacky going on with my settings.

You mention a release later than the 18th November version I have, I don't see it on the DVDFab download site, so where do I find this later version ? Is it a beta version, if so where might I find it ? Any asistance anyone can provide with this issue (which may well prevent future issues) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

The problems with matshita drives are generally related to region code, not burning or reading problems.

Look in the Latest Beta Version forum. The reason you are always told to try the latest release first is that it frequently corrects the problem.

No one with problems with this title has posted any log files. This will slow down or preclude resolution of the problem.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
          X