DVDs play in some players but not others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDs play in some players but not others

I've backed up a bunch of my DVD's and when I went to watch them again, some of them wouldn't work. It's weird because they work just fine at the time, but then won't read correctly in the very computer that I burned them from. Instead of popping up with a playable DVD, I go to my computer, look at drive F (for example) and it says "DVD ROM" and won't let me see the contents or play the DVD. However, these DVDs do work in my bluray player downstairs...

Why do they work in some drives but not others and what can I do to change this?

Hi whoisme555,

Please check http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=2073 , and see if this solution can work for you or not, thanks.

Regards,

mona

Comment

Thanks for your response.

My blank DVDs are brand new and go directly from my computer to my DVD case. I'm unsure if dirty discs could be causing a problem for more than 20 discs, but only on certain players. Do you have any other suggestions? I'll try cleaning some soon just to be sure, but I'm doubtful.

Comment

What kind of disc did you use for your burns????
        Please post you logs the default location is:
        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please just attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s) and post right here.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Hi Wholsme555

Most playback issue can be related to either low to poor quality media used, burning to fast or the use of +R type media which some standalone DVD players don’t support the +R media which in this case setting booktype to DVD-Rom would be needed.

If you are using low to poor quality media which I don’t recommend for video backup because of the low quality of the dye used on the disc’s can degrade at a faster rate, burning such disc’s to fast can result in playback issues such as stopping, skipping and not playing over a period of time.

SJ

Comment

Originally posted by StormJumper View Post
            Hi Wholsme555

Most playback issue can be related to either low to poor quality media used, burning to fast or the use of +R type media which some standalone DVD players don’t support the +R media which in this case setting booktype to DVD-Rom would be needed.

If you are using low to poor quality media which I don’t recommend for video backup because of the low quality of the dye used on the disc’s can degrade at a faster rate, burning such disc’s to fast can result in playback issues such as stopping, skipping and not playing over a period of time.

SJ
            This could always be the issue considering I'm using cheap Memorex DVD either + or -, depending on my mood when I buy them. Is there anything I can do about the DVDs I've already burned or do I just have a bunch of messed up DVDs?

Comment

Originally posted by whoisme555 View Post
              This could always be the issue considering I'm using cheap Memorex DVD either + or -, depending on my mood when I buy them. Is there anything I can do about the DVDs I've already burned or do I just have a bunch of messed up DVDs?
              Memorex is low quality and can be a hit and miss at times depending on the MID(Media ID) since Memorex do not manufacture they own media but rather have other manufacturers make them which means the MID can change from spindle to spindle which also means the write strategy will also change.

However you can reduce most playback issues with low to poor quality media by setting the write speed to ½ the rated speed of the media, I’m not sure which burn engine your using but I suggest setting DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the default burn engine which works very well with low to poor quality media.

Also if you do decide to use ImgBurn as the default burn engine make sure you do not set DVDFab to change book-type for DVD+R media because ImgBurn is set to do it by default and having both programs set to do it has been known to cause issues for some users.

SJ

Comment

whoisme
                Please post the log files that were requested. Without that information, any advice is just a guess.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I can't upload the 2 of the 4 logs. The burn_vso and internal because they are too large... What should I do about that?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do not need all of them so just copy paste the most recent problem logs to a post reply.

Comment

Hi whoisme555

StormJumper was right on the money, and as I also suspected.

Your media I 18:29:03 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x) is garbage media, consider picking up some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim with the Azo Dye label on the package.

Also lower your burn speed as suggested to 1/2 the rated speed of your disc, to do this please review the setting up of ImgBurn to work with Fab here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=33 .

To change your book Open Fab Click the Green top right > General > DVD/Blu-Ray > Write click set book type to DVD-Rom restart Fab and you are done.

Hope this helps
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X