X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem installing in Win98SE

Hi all,
    According to the DVDFab system requirements, Windows 98SE is supported. But I am not able to install/run the last few versions of DVDFab in Win 98SE, such as 6.0.6.0. The last version that was able to run fine was 5.2.2.2. Everything after that does not install correctly. And even if it did install, it cannot run due to an illegal operation crash. I have tried this in two different installations of 98SE and they produce the same crash. The error is:

Code:
    DVDFAB caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00000001
    Does anyone know anything about this? It works fine on Win XP, but I would also like to be able to run it on my 98SE computers. Thanks.

Sorry, I have no way to even test this. The user base still on Win98 is so small the developers probably don't get anough feedback when there are problems. I'm sure they will see it here in the new forum. Sorry you are having trouble.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Sorry, no help here either.
      I gave away my last Win 98 rig to my neighbor's kid to bang on...about 3 years ago.
      Heck, even MS stopped support back in July '07

I know the Fab homepage claims support for Win 98 (perhaps not much longer) and I know you don't need a lecture from me, but I would give serious thought to upgrading your OS.
      Hopefully, another user or the author can shed some light.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
        I know the Fab homepage claims support for Win 98 (perhaps not much longer) and I know you don't need a lecture from me, but I would give serious thought to upgrading your OS.
        Yes, you are right, I do not need a lecture. :P

I choose to run 98SE for fun and because of some old programs it can run on, that will not on my XP computer, plus the fact it can be installed and run quicker on older hardware. It would be nice to run the latest DVDFabs because they have the burner built into them (and the DVD9-to-DVD5 shrinker) without having to upgrade. Version 5.2.2.2 did not have those in the evaluation version (or the free Decrypter).

Also, 98SE is still alive and kicking. There is a nice big community of us that still choose to run it and there are several unofficial upgrades for that it that have gone way beyond what Microsoft has done. And I am one of the few in the 98SE userbase, as signals mentioned. However, I don't understand that if the makers of DVDFab choose to keep 98SE support alive, then they should have a 98SE rig in their test labs. Let's hope they do! Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that 98SE is supported here.

Additionally, I will report this error to that aforementioned 98SE userbase, of programmers. Perhaps they will download DVDFAb to help find the cause of the crash (but I again, I hope DVDFab developers will also help).
        Last edited by technoid; 09-17-2009, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by technoid View Post
          Yes, you are right, I do not need a lecture. :P

I choose to run 98SE for fun and because of some old programs it can run on, that will not on my XP computer, plus the fact it can be installed and run quicker on older hardware. It would be nice to run the latest DVDFabs because they have the burner built into them (and the DVD9-to-DVD5 shrinker) without having to upgrade. Version 5.2.2.2 did not have those in the evaluation version (or the free Decrypter).

Also, 98SE is still alive and kicking. There is a nice big community of us that still choose to run it and there are several unofficial upgrades for that it that have gone way beyond what Microsoft has done. And I am one of the few in the 98SE userbase, as signals mentioned. However, I don't understand that if the makers of DVDFab choose to keep 98SE support alive, then they should have a 98SE rig in their test labs. Let's hope they do! Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that 98SE is supported here.

Additionally, I will report this error to that aforementioned 98SE userbase, of programmers. Perhaps they will download DVDFAb to help find the cause of the crash (but I again, I hope DVDFab developers will also help).
          I wouldn't hold your breath.

From a purely commercial aspect, it makes no sense to support 98SE when Microsoft dropped support for it years ago.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Tried to install the latest beta 6.0.6.9 on my Windows Me computer and it ends up in an error message that Dvdfab has caused an error in <unknown>.

It happens at the very last stage in the installation after all the file copying. The same error message appears after a restart when I try to start the program.

Comment

I do not have either but have you both tried with the Anti-virus and firewall turned off when installing DVDFab

Comment

I suggest that you consider updating your OS (and PC if you have to) because I don't think support for 98/ME will be around much longer. Microsoft dropped support years ago.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have plenty of other computers with more modern O/S.

My post only was to know if the problem was related to a specific computer or if "others" with those O/S also would run into it.

Either the program supports those "old" O/S or not. As it is now - it's stated that it do.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                    I do not have either but have you both tried with the Anti-virus and firewall turned off when installing DVDFab
                    Both AV and FW was disabled. Even tried not to install the suggested burning engine.

Comment

Heh, well just as I thought, the O/S requirements box at the download page finally dropped "98/ME" off it. I am reinstalling 98/ME on one of my computers, so I have not yet tried 6.0.7.0, but I'm sure it will probably not work. According to some people I've talked to which also installed/ran DVDFAB 6.x, it was found that the crashing issue probably has something to do with GDI heap... so it's a memory source tasking/leaking problem. Someone is actually doing a GDI recode for 98SE, but it is still deep in beta. I will still try 6.0.7.0 once my 98SE installation (actually it's more like "98ME") is finished.

So bascially, I guess someone at DVDFAB probably just forgot to delete "98/ME" from the system requirements page for version 6 earlier this year. If that is the case, then I think that still needs to be mentioned in the history/changelog that 98/ME has been officially dropped.

Ironically though, 98/SE functionally was restored in version 5.1.1.0 almost a year ago:
                      Code:
                      * Fix: Windows 98/Me support was broken for some time, and now it's back.
                      Well, unless they bring back 98/Me support (again!) in DVDFab 6.1.x beta and later, lol. :P

Comment

Do not hold your breath waiting for it !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                          Do not hold your breath waiting for it !!!!
                          Oh wait a second, it still shows on this page, hehehe:

System Requirements

* Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/ME
                          * Pentium II 500 MHz
                          * 256 MB of RAM
                          * 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
                          * A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive
                          The O/S requirement box at the download page took a week to get changed after I posted this topic (when it should've been changed when v6.0 was released!). Let's see how long the dvd-to-dvd.htm page change will take.

Comment

It's not now !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                              It's not now !!!!

Yup, took about 4-5 hours. It's a speed record!

Comment

Working...
                              X