Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90312 nails it except the calculation part. Normally you would round up the number, but in the media case you would truncate it because the media's capacity cannot store no more than the round-up number. So 4482MB = 4.37GB

The maximum capacity of the media are (in binary format):
    DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4,706,074,624 bytes = 4488 MB = 4.38GB
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4,700,372,992 bytes = 4482 MB = 4.37GB
    DVD+R DL = 8,547,993,600 bytes = 8152 MB = 7.96GB

DvdFab's DVD-5 maximum custom size range of 4920MB (4.80GB) is clearly wrong. That's why in the program it correctly asks for a DL disk. This is probably a GUI bug. Maybe fengtao should change it to 4482 MB to be safe.

Giving a 4490 MB limit is asking for trouble as you guys have experienced. The program asking for a DL disk is correct. I recommend you enter the value lower than that; 4472 MB is OK. TBO, you will not notice a quality difference between 4400 and 4482, maybe even the default recommended value 4300. As having been mentioned many times, DO NOT try to fill up the disc. Even high quality media is prone to error in the outer edge of the disc.

Comment

Yesssss,

I love this thread.... 90312 very good explanation.

The fist time I recieved this error. I found that the setting had somehow changed from 4300 to 4900 after i upgraded to the newest released version.

I set it back to 4300 but. If I get a DVD 5 that is at 90+ percent I change it to 4480 to try to get it to 100%. If I do this then after I burn the dvd I watch the last chapter to verify that it didn't get messed up along the outer edge. Then I set it back to 4300.

Def. should remove 4900 as an option for DVD5 and should not allow anything higher than 4482 for DVD5.

Comment

Well I guess we should give thanks to willdi for starting this thread as we would not have done all this testing and posting if it was not for willdi.

Thanks willdi

Comment

I second that one! Thanks, Willdi! And thanks to everyone who hung in there to run this one down...my sanity is all the better for having some sort of explanation now. :-)

Comment

This must a typo in the DVDFab code. No one concerned with quallity would default to 4490MB for a DVD-5 and Fengtao knows this. I think the previous default of 4300 is too low, but safe even for junk media. I have always used 4464, which was the default (I think) in DVDShrink for DVD-5. Never a problem with Verbatim +R blanks @ 8X.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X