This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie trying to copy my nav disc

I am trying to copy my navigation DVD that is giving me trouble in my car. I am new to ripping burning etc... The most I ever really did was back up my iTunes to DVD-R... I used the clone feature and step 1 went fine. When Fab asked fror blank media I inserted a blank -R DVD and fab keeps spitting it out asking for 2 sided media... I am totally lost with all this new media and if the clone feature was the correct choice... Any and all help tips appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!

with DVDFab open at the bottom is a drop down box that says quality beside it. was it set to dvd-9? if so and you don't have any dual layer disc try the process again but this time set it to dvd-5. (I never did or heard of anyone backing up navigation disc and am not familiar with those at all, hope it works for you)

Comment

Clone mode doesn't have a blank media size choice since it doesn't compress. It will always ask for a blank that matches the size of the original, so you will need DL blanks (probably marked DVD+R DL 8.5GB in the store). For best results choose Verbatim brand. I've never tried copying one of these either, hopefully another user can give you some insight.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

good catch, I had a brain spasm lol

Comment

NP, thanks for all your contributions!
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

i can remember another dvdfab user was trying to backup a navigation dvd. the dvd seemed to backup fine but the navigation would not read it properly.

dvd9 blanks are opposite track path
            • first layer is read from the center of the disc out, second layer is read from the outside of the disc back to center

the navigation disc was parallel track path
            • both layers are read from the center of the disc

Comment

And Fab was never designed for anything other than A/V discs
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I don't see a drop down box at the bottom of the screen.. I do see a green check mark at the top and when I click on it it opens to a list of options and when I highlight DVD to DVD default output size is set to DVD5 in the drop down there is a option for DVD9 default output is set to DVD writer.. I don't see a -5 or -9 option. I would like to try both methods mentioned here and hope one works. Am I looking in the wrong place?? This fab ver 6.0.7.0

Comment

It's not clear to me...is Fab able to open this Nav disc at all?

The Source should be populated with the name of the Nav disc
                  If no, this is why you're not seeing the dvd5/dvd9 option (at the bottom) mentioned by W&B.

Like GregiBoy, I'm not sure if Fab can do a nav disc, I've never tried.
                  I have read about users copying them though with good ol' dvddecrypter.

To recap as above:
                  Be certain to use a Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore...you'll have to look on the plastic spindle wrapper).

Be certain to bitset (booktype) the blank verbatim to DVD-ROM, before you burn.

Be certain to output to Clone mode (dvd9) which will burn to an .ISO file.

I know at least some of these Nav discs are PTP as troy512 said.
                  If you have a PTP disc and not an OTP, you're skunked.

In any case, if Fab fails to open this disc (I'm betting on this btw) post back and I'll move this thread to Third Party Products and we can give it a go.

As Fab opens the disc, you're presented with a number of options, one of which is selecting the Target or output size.
                  Here's a screenshot:
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by maineman; 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM.
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by reelnut View Post
                    I don't see a drop down box at the bottom of the screen.. I do see a green check mark at the top and when I click on it it opens to a list of options and when I highlight DVD to DVD default output size is set to DVD5 in the drop down there is a option for DVD9 default output is set to DVD writer.. I don't see a -5 or -9 option. I would like to try both methods mentioned here and hope one works. Am I looking in the wrong place?? This fab ver 6.0.7.0
                    Originally posted by signals View Post
                    Clone mode doesn't have a blank media size choice since it doesn't compress. It will always ask for a blank that matches the size of the original, so you will need DL blanks
                    you will have to try full disc mode if you want to burn on a dvd5. in the copy section check everything which DVDFab will allow, do not remove menu or rewind when done playing and do not use the Navigation options.

Comment

Originally posted by troy512 View Post
                      you will have to try full disc mode if you want to burn on a dvd5. in the copy section check everything which DVDFab will allow, do not remove menu or rewind when done playing and do not use the Navigation options.
                      As I said, I have no personal experience with copying a Nav disc, but I'm convinced that you cannot apply any compression and expect it it to work. However, it's only gonna cost you $0.20 (give or take) to find out...

I don't think Fab will work on this dvd...period.
                      Hope I'm wrong.
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Ok from what I can see the source does have the disc name and when I tried cloning it the first time and it wouldn't accept my -R disc it looks as though it copied a iso file to my documents. I am not sure what you mean by "Be certain to bitset (booktype) the blank verbatim to DVD-ROM, before you burn"?? Also from the screen shot it looks like it it's in a different mode other than clone. I stopped at 3 different stores yesterday I can't find Verbatim media... Staples and radio shack among them... Thanks for all the help thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                          As I said, I have no personal experience with copying a Nav disc, but I'm convinced that you cannot apply any compression and expect it it to work. However, it's only gonna cost you $0.20 (give or take) to find out...

I don't think Fab will work on this dvd...period.
                          Hope I'm wrong.
                          But I don't think you are. I don't think this will work.

@reelnut
                          If you have a BestBuy, they stock Verbatim. You can also find them at some OfficeMax stores locally. Meritline has them for much better prices online.

Comment

Been reading through the tutorial guide and almost all of the screen shots show the drop down box with the -5 -9 option. I do not see in the clone screen shot. I still need to know what
                            "Be certain to bitset (booktype) the blank verbatim to DVD-ROM, before you burn"?? means??
                            Gotta at try to do this... Thanks

Comment

If this link is not welcome here delete it ................. here is a thread that should keep you busy for awhile http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80/make-ba...n-disc-137886/
                              "You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"

Click to join forum.dvdfab.com

Comment

Working...
                              X