Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do a short conversion, the first 2-3 chapters and see if they show, the preview window doesn't always show as it should.

Comment

The movie 2012

Originally posted by nijaju View Post
      Is there a way then, to copy main movie only and not lose the English subs during foreign language parts? I'd like to be able to play this on my WDTV but this is causing some issues. Playing this on my DVD player (had to pull it out of the box where I store it because I rarely use it anymore) I get the English translations only when I turn the subs off....kinda weird to me. If there's a way to do this or anyone can offer some insight, that'd be appreciated. Thanks.
      Here's what happens to me. I have more than one DVD player and when I do the main movie only on two of them the subs do not come up when I start the movie (so I don't have to turn them off naturally) and the translation subs (when they are speaking foreign languages) work fine. However, on my home theatre when I start the movie the subs are on so I have to turn them off and when I do the English translation subs (once again for foreign languages) go off also. All you have to do in this case is after you turn off the subs push stop and play and the foreign language translation subs will work again, at least they do on my player. By the way, I only have this problem with SONY movies (like 2012).

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
        Do a short conversion, the first 2-3 chapters and see if they show, the preview window doesn't always show as it should.
        W&B
        I have also noticed this with the preview window while watching it in full screen, but if you right click on the screen and click sub picture the last language that you unchecked will still be checked so all you have to do is click the language you want for your sub picture and it will update it to the correct language. Hope this helps.
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks CBR929, I have Fab configured to not select any subs but will look more into that the next conversion I do, this should help others also. Thanks again for the heads up on that.

Comment

Sooo...at this point I've made two iso files. One of them is the 'full disc' and the other is 'main movie' with only the 5.1 audio and the first English subs. Neither display subs correctly (subs for foreign speech only) on my WDTV (which is my goal). I threw the 'full disc' into boxee and it seems to handle the subs as it's supposed to. Although, when I fast forward or rewind and land in an English speaking part, I get English subs for a line or two and then they go away. Wonderful. The 'main movie' iso played in boxee gives me english subs through the whole thing. I'm not sure what the difference is here.

So, I decide to encode the main movie off the 'full disc' that I had made, assuming that it would be faster than reading the DVD again and it seems to work in boxee so what the heck... Settings include: first English sub selected, 'Display only forced subs' NOT checked, 'Direct render to video' selected, and results: subs shown for all speech. 2nd try...everything the same except now with 'Display only forced subs' checked...and it works great.

So, it sounds like Sony uses some weird stuff in their DVDs to force subs in some areas and not others, but it screws up some DVD players and WDTVs and software and other stuff I guess. Maybe they're pulling the text for one sub track from another sub track and only displaying at certain parts. Speculation of course but I can't imagine anything else going on behind the scenes.

Comment

You'll run across DVD's sometimes that has the subs burned in, example..."Facing Ali" (documentary about the boxer). All you have to do with that DVD is rip the main movie but it's usually low budget flicks but even then there is no golden rule. Glad you got it figured out in any case.

Comment

2012 has true forced subs in the main English stream (the top one). Include this stream when you make a backup and it should display only the forced subs when played back (unless you make the stream a default or turn it on with your player remote). The one with white text is the hard-of-hearing stream, the other one is the commentary.

If you are making a mobile conversion, you have posted in the wrong forum. Add the checkmark to "Display Only forced".
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  2012 has true forced subs in the main English stream (the top one). Include this stream when you make a backup and it should display only the forced subs when played back (unless you make the stream a default or turn it on with your player remote). The one with white text is the hard-of-hearing stream, the other one is the commentary.

If you are making a mobile conversion, you have posted in the wrong forum. Add the checkmark to "Display Only forced".
                  Well, if you go back and read my posts....you'll see that a) I never wanted to make a mobile conversion in the first place and b) including the main English stream (the top one) didn't display only the forced subs when played back on my WDTV.

Comment

Well, this is not a WDTV support forum either.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I guess this is my fault guys, I should have mentioned the WDTV doesn't play DVD disc because it only plays mobile formats, thread needs closed anyway it's off topic LOL. Have a good night or day.

Comment

Then get a player that supports DVD features and play them from ISOs or VIDEO_TS folders. DVDFab is doing what it should. Very few DVDs are authored with the forced subs in their own stream any more. Most have them as a subset of the main English stream. If you really want this to display correctly on your player, you can manually use DVDSubEdit to blank all but the forced subs or make a DVD to Mobile conversion.

This thread is far too long. Your questions have been answered.

Originally posted by nijaju View Post
                        Well, if you go back and read my posts....you'll see that a) I never wanted to make a mobile conversion in the first place and b) including the main English stream (the top one) didn't display only the forced subs when played back on my WDTV.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                        X